Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:02 PM

69 posts, read 241,441 times

Advertisements

this map is not even useful to the original question I asked

Last edited by Soul Affect; 03-01-2009 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM

45 posts, read 126,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Northern Virginia is technically the South, but culturally, it's "Southerness" has certainly been diluted to a significant degree.

DC has more of a Northern influence than a Southern one.
i agree with you.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,791 posts, read 4,157,802 times
To certain minority groups looking for any reason to be offended, *every* place in America is very "racist."

Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,866,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
To certain minority groups looking for any reason to be offended, *every* place in America is very "racist."
There is truth in that.

As for that hate-groups map, might one come to the conclusion that the west is generally more tolerant than the east? I don't know, just throwing it out there.
Not insulting the east by any means. I like the scenery and culture there, and would probably rather live there over the west.
I've heard from people who travel the country a lot that the west seems a bit more accepting. Not saying that the west doesn't have it's own issues.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 39,803 times
DC is more Maryland then V.A.

Go to P.G. or Montgomery County (Maryland) outside of D.C., those counties aren't southern at all. And the areas of Virginia that border D.C. are hardly southern and country. D.C. is as east coast as Baltimore and Baltimore is as east coast as Philly or wherever.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,563,358 times
It HAS to be Maine, in my opinion.....minorities are staying away in RECORD NUMBERS....in fact, more minorities of ALL races don't live in Maine, than don't live in ANY other state......can't get much more racist that THAT, I guess...

Last edited by macmeal; 03-01-2009 at 08:42 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,397,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just curious. Does your definition of "racism" also include the number of crimes committed by minorities against majorities?
Absolute not, because this is NOT racism. You must become more aware and readjust your biases.

The OP is talking here about racist whites who discriminate against blacks (and to a lesser extent other minorities).

Only racist whites think that blacks are racist for negatively reacting to racist white treatment. Ludicrous.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 03-01-2009 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,033,627 times
this reminds me of a few weeks ago when a white lady went into Walmart here and walked up to the Mexican cashier and asked her if she could have someone that is white ring her up.

last week also in the paper a mexican immigrant in NW New Mexico was picked up and took out to a canyon and beaten and robbed while they called him racial names.

I hear some people say that they dont like living here cause of all the hispanics here but its only if you get them on the subject otherwise people keep their mouths shut about anything they might be prejudice about, I think for the most part NM is a very accepting state, probably moreso than others.

this is an interesting thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm white, and while in Atlanta in 1995, I was denied service at an IHOP that was filled with African Americans. I've never had that happen to me before.
this is a facinating image, meek little white church people in ties and coats marching behind a white preacher singing hymns trying to enter ihops being beaten up outside by black gangbangers with pants down and 9mm, i suppose this would be called gooning these days.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,819,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
This is something I you and I can agree on.

Racism with blacks toward whites is still racism. Some bleeding hearts say that " no, it is not because whites used to torture them" but no one is buying that
No one can deny that reverse racism does exist and it is a bad thing...but it doesn't have anywhere near the same psychological/economic/social impact that traditional racism has on it's victims.

When people of your race have (for hundreds of years) been: treated as less than human; denied basic rights; murdered and beaten; denied economic opportunity; given a substandard education; and generally looked down upon by white society as well as by our state and federal governments - all due to skin color...then racism feels very different and brings out a lot more emotions.

Both types of racism are ugly and should not exist, but the type that comes from the majority race (the race that has historically been in the position of power) sends a much more hurtful and hateful message. I've been discriminated against in certain situations because I'm white, but it didn't have any effect on me other than right at that moment.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 03-02-2009 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City