Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Personally, I really don't think that any place in NC is liberal at all, I would say that Charlotte is more moderate as well as the other larger cities in NC. They're only considered "liberal" by NC standards.
Clearly you have never been to Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Asheville, or Boone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,852,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I can really think of a city in NC that I would consider "conservative." Some are more moderate (including Charlotte), and the liberal ones would be Asheville, Chapel Hill, and Durham.

For SC, Columbia is a little more on the liberal side; I'd probably say that Charleston is also slightly center left. Greenville is more conservative.

i've always found it bizarre that charleston is the more liberal area of the state yet racially their schools are so segregated, public / pirvate / etc.... where as greenville is the more conservative one but has VERY diverse schools. i've lived in greenville now 9 years and my parents have lived in mount pleasant now 4 years and upon moving to charleston concluded that one could feel a very racially / class divide in the area compared to greenville. bizarre for a liberal city to receive such comments.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
OHIO

Conservative- Cincinnati, almost every small town in the state

Liberal- Every other large city. Columbus is pretty moderate, though, along with Dayton.

Conservative - the areas in between Cincinnati and Dayton like Butler County and Warren County and Clermont to the east VERY conservative. Cincinnati and Hamilton county not so much. With the exception of Franklin County / Columbus central ohio is pretty conservative as is SE Ohio and NW Ohio.

Liberal - Toledo Metro area, the immediate great lakes region in general, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Youngstown, etc....

Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
Clearly you have never been to Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Asheville, or Boone.

when i first moved down to Greenville, SC i asked people what Asheville was like and the most common reply was "imagine berkeley, california in the mountains" haha. having visited asheville and that area numerous times now it is safe to say they were correct.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Liberal: Louisville (Jefferson County), Lexington (Fayette County), town of Berea

The first two are urban, Berea for some reason has always been a center of Liberal thought. In the 1860s it opened a college that enrolled both Blacks and Whites and even taught them in the same classrooms. When people in surrounding areas heard of this a mob literally attacked the town and burned it to the ground. Today Berea is like a miniature version of Asheville NC. Lots of arts and crafts, and many progressive minded people who live off the grid, eat organic, etc.

Moderate: A few oddly scattered counties across western and eastern KY. Areas with either lots of poverty and/ or a history of union coal jobs

Conservative: the rest of the state

correct me if im wrong but i heard recently that students at Berea College are not charged tuition? it was ranked recently as one of the best buys by US News i believe. i can see why haha.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
California:

Liberal: Most urban areas in the state. This is granted.
Moderate: San Diego, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, Fresno, San Luis Obispo County
Conservative: Lancaster, Bakersfield, Orange County

Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 AM

112 posts, read 522,268 times
Tennessee:

Liberal - Memphis, mostly because of demographics.

Conservative - Knoxville

I don't think it really matters as far as having fun.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM

199 posts, read 421,500 times
I'm a little baffled by the need for this poll. Most larger towns and cities vote Democratic and have larger populations of people with liberal ideologies. Smaller towns tend toward Republican voting habits and conservative ideology.

With precious few exceptions, it really seems to fall in line with your exposure to public services and needs. In Small Town America there is a perception that government is wasteful and mostly unnecessary, and few public services are used on a regular basis, while government investment is pretty well-hidden (rural counties receive more tax assistance than they pay into their state and federal government, but their roads, DOT, prisons and agricultural businesses receive hefty subsidies.

In larger towns and cities, or smaller cities with local tourism or universities, there is much more visible day-to-day results of good governance and investment in public works (buses, sidewalks, urban renewal districts), government is perceived as wasteful but well-intentioned, with benefits to go along with costs.

I feel I could name most any city in America and predict its voting leanings based on population and nearness to a major city. There are some large notable exceptions - San Diego, Fort Worth, Colorado Springs and Staten Island tend to vote more Republican. Some are more conservative, some less, but they act as retorts to larger liberal cities within close vicinity (LA, Dallas, Denver, other NYC boroughs). But by and large the divide seems to be along the lines of city v. small towns, the exceptions being more exclusive well-off cities with a larger neighbor.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Conservative - the areas in between Cincinnati and Dayton like Butler County and Warren County and Clermont to the east VERY conservative. Cincinnati and Hamilton county not so much. With the exception of Franklin County / Columbus central ohio is pretty conservative as is SE Ohio and NW Ohio.

Liberal - Toledo Metro area, the immediate great lakes region in general, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Youngstown, etc....
The Columbus metro is not conservative. the metro is liberal and even the suburbs are liberal to moderate. Maybe 20-30 years ago, not in 2013. The exurbs can lean republican but are even socially liberal. Not so much.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 PM

933 posts, read 1,534,245 times
For Texas:

Fiscally and Socially Liberal:
Austin

Socially Liberal and Fiscally Conservative:
Houston

Socially Conservative and Fiscally Liberal:
Dallas
San Antonio
El Paso
Beaumont
Port Arthur
Rio Grande Valley

Fiscally and Socially Conservative
Fort Worth
Lubbock
Amarillo
Midland
Odessa
Tyler
Waco
Wichita Falls
Suburbs of Dallas and Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City