Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM

160 posts, read 183,704 times

Advertisements

My guess would be Texas, California, and Florida -Simply because of their shape and they stand out. NYC because it is a world class city, even though it is not a state. But NYC is probably the most recognizable city in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
most foreigners don't really know the shapes of our states tho. lol a lot of americans born and raised couldn't place certain states on the map, let alone ppl outside of the u.s.

from personal experience, foreigners know ny (only because we share the same name as the state), california (because of hollywood) and thats pretty much it. everything else is a guess to them.

they know what they see on tv, what they hear from family, the radio, etc. and trust me, texas, florida, etc. aren't on tv like that around the world. not in comparison to nyc and california.

nyc is only known because of a few factors:
-ellis island
-many immigrants have moved to nyc and have sent money back and/or sent for their families and/or go back and forth between their home countries and nyc
-its the premier city of the u.s.
-the yankees
-many of us have traveled (but according to cd we don't travel, we're not cultured, etc.)
-our media market. again when you see the u.s. on tv abroad, chances are its about nyc or cali or something dealing with it.
-wall st
-the u.n.
-music (lots of businesses/labels here)
-certain landmarks/tourists attractions, streets, etc.
etc.

again, ny state is only known because of nyc abroad (generalization here). when we (nyers) say where we're from, hardly any of us say nyc. we just say ny or the borough where we're from.

ask yourself, how many street names can you name from states you've never been to? or countries you've never been to?

now think about nyc. how many street names can you think of from nyc? and some of you have never been...

Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Florida is definitely in the media as well though - CSI: Miami, Miami Medical, Bad Girls Club: Miami, All of those kid shows from Universal Studios: Orlando from back in the day, GTA: Vice City, Scarface, Miami Vice, all of the Latin American companies such as Telemundo located in Miami, Bad Boys 1 & 2, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Miami Social, Real World: Miami, Unique AutoSports: Miami, plus you have all of the beaches, Miami itself has been in numerous songs. I know I'm forgetting some things, but you have to think foreigners know a decent amount about FL.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 PM
eek

but we're talking global tho, not just latin america...consider europe, africa and asia.

*edit*
some of the shows that you think other ppl would know about don't come on in foreign countries and/or aren't big in foreign countries.

i'm not sure things like mundos, telemundo, univision, etc. are shown throughout latin america. somebody correct me if i'm wrong, on that. regardless, from a global standpoint, these things definitely don't exist in europe, asia and africa.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
I agree with you Clean_polo. Although a NY'er myself, in my travels through Europe/UK, I was really surprised at how many people there had been to Disney in Florida. At some point they would love to go to NY, but since their kids were at the right age, the weather is great, the fares were cheap, the food served was massive - Florida it was.

I also give kudos to the great state of Nevada. Again in Europe/UK, I heard a lot of talk about trips to Vegas.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
but we're talking global tho, not just latin america...consider europe, africa and asia.
The only thing I mentioned about Latin America was Telemundo, everything else is pretty global. Miami and Orlando get millions of travelers from Europe. People in Africa and Asia might not know as much about Florida than New York City or California true, but I'm sure they know something about it.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 PM

I don't know if any of you saw it, but there was a thread on this site like a week ago about business travelers, foreign travelers, vacation travelers things like that. Miami came in second place in every category only trailing New York.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 PM
eek

i do think fl is in the top 5 tho. i do not believe that many foreigners know more than like 5 states, tho. again this is a generalization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't know if any of you saw it, but there was a thread on this site like a week ago about business travelers, foreign travelers, vacation travelers things like that. Miami came in second place in every category only trailing New York.
over california???

Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i do think fl is in the top 5 tho. i do not believe that many foreigners know more than like 5 states, tho. again this is a generalization.

over california???
Yeah I'll see if I can find it.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 PM

Ah, I can't find it but I swear Miami came in 2nd in every category of travel, only following New York. I would still put Florida in my top 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City