Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver or Los Angeles which is better?
Denver 67 54.47%
Los Angeles 56 45.53%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 PM

18,008 posts, read 27,453,889 times

Advertisements

Sure we can get along. At least Denver posters don't cheat. I see no less than 12 fake posters created today (3/30/2009) who have only voted for LA.

They have absolutely no posts. So there, folks, is LA for ya.

So let's just go with this:

Denver 37
LA 33

Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,945 times
I like this study. It seems to support my opinion that Denver is better than LA

Denver Tops List of Favorite Cities
Pew Research Center: For Nearly Half of America, Grass Is Greener Somewhere Else

I like this one too...

15 Coolest North American cities according to MSN Travel
:
1. Washington DC
2. New Orleans LA
3. Chicago IL
4. Santa Fe NM
5. Denver CO
6. Savannah GA
7. New York City NY
8. Vancouver BC
9. Philadelphia PA
10. Boston MA
11. Las Vegas NV
12. Minneapolis MN
13. Nashville TN
14. Austin TX
15. Portland OR

15 Coolest North American Cities - MSN Travel - Slide Show

Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
I'll accept the crime thing but I am still skeptical. It seems unbelievable that LA has a lower crime rate than Denver. But then again maybe that pretentious hollywood boosterism of LA being a big bad city has skewed many of our perceptions (cops tv shows, gang problems etc on tv).

But of course now you want to use LA's metro to support it having more pro teams. Half of LA's pro teams arent even in the city limits and some even exist in the OC. But hey nobody here is calling you inconsistent. I mean when it comes to crime data its all about the city proper for you which excludes compton, engelwood and other hard core ghettos. But when it comes to sports teams you have no problem including the OC and Anaheim. I am starting to understand your thinking now...
The LA crime rate also excludes many nice, low crime cities too like Beverly Hills, Malibu, Palos Verdes, etc..same difference there, but of course you'll only focus on the ghetto ones to fit your viewpoint, pretty typical of your thinking.

Even if you exclude the Angelsand Ducks, LA has four sports team within its city limits. Three of which play at the same arena and the other plays at a stadium only a few miles north, so your claim that
"Half of LA's pro teams arent even in the city limits" is just flat out wrong, but I'm sure you'll find a way to interpret the facts to fit your viewpoint.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
We could, but that's not the point of this particular thread....

I'm just trying to help those poor souls in LA to realize how deluded they are in thinking that their city possesses any measure of greatness at all. Acceptance is the first step on the road to recovery. Not that I want them to move away or anything, but maybe they could spend a little less time bragging about the smoggy warmth and more time picking up garbage or something.
You could say the same thing about Denver or any city in America. To each their own, different people have different opinions on what makes a city desirable to them. I never even said anything negative about Denver but apparently when I correct misconceptions and incorrect statements about LA some posters interpret that as me saying something negative on Denver.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You could say the same thing about Denver or any city in America.
Yes, you could. It just would not be as true as with LA. If you ever get out of there for an extended period, then you'll know what I mean.

I've not reviewed the statistics you're using to try to 'prove' your point about lower crime rates in LA, but it doesn't really matter, because my own comparative experiences have convinced me beyond persuasion that LA streets are MUCH scarier than Denver.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 PM

18,008 posts, read 27,453,889 times
So, besides the now four "not a member" voters on the LA side, why did you guys vote for LA?

Oh, guys like.... AK$&, AnimeWorkshop, Geopolitics, HannahMontannagoestoJ(it's still a felony!), IAMHERO, JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ, LOLHAWWIAA(Oops, you misspelled your state name), NAPLES123456, SNOPPDOGGYDOGG(you misspelled snoop and you misspelled dog), VisitUS; why did you pick LA over Denver?

So that's 45-14=31 for LA and 38 for Denver. Denver is up by a touchdown and it's inside the 2 minute warning.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Yes, you could. It just would not be as true as with LA. If you ever get out of there for an extended period, then you'll know what I mean.
That's your subjective opinion of course and not everyone sees things like you do, so don't assume I or anyone else will. And in case you didn't notice I don't live in Los Angeles.

Quote:
I've not reviewed the statistics you're using to try to 'prove' your point about lower crime rates in LA, but it doesn't really matter, because my own comparative experiences have convinced me beyond persuasion that LA streets are MUCH scarier than Denver.
cool, I'm not talking about your experiance at all and don't care, I'm just showing what the statistics say and that's it.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
The LA crime rate also excludes many nice, low crime cities too like Beverly Hills, Malibu, Palos Verdes, etc..same difference there, but of course you'll only focus on the ghetto ones to fit your viewpoint, pretty typical of your thinking.

Even if you exclude the Angles and Ducks, LA has four sports team within its city limits. Three of which play at the same arena and the other plays at a stadium only a few miles north, so your claim that
"Half of LA's pro teams arent even in the city limits" is just flat out wrong, but I'm sure you'll find a way to interpret the facts to fit your viewpoint.
If we compare the LA metro to Denver metro the crime rate changes as well as the pro teams count. But I thought this thread was about the two city limits?

The home depot center (4 pro teams) is in the city of Carson. The ducks and LAA are in Anaheim (2 pro teams). LA =
6 in city (7 adding LAA). 12 in greater Area.

Denver has nine in the city minus MLS in commerence city. Denver city = 8, metro = 9

So which is it for you? LA metro vs Denver metro or LA city vs Denver city? I'd like to know so I can hold you to a position...

Several more teams are in the greater Los Angeles media market: the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Major League Baseball and the Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League are both based in nearby Anaheim; and the Los Angeles Galaxy and Club Deportivo Chivas USA of Major League Soccer are both based in neighboring Carson. The city is the largest in the U.S. without an NFL team
Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
If we compare the LA metro to Denver metro the crime rate changes as well as the pro teams count. But I thought this thread was about the two city limits?
The home depot center (4 pro teams) is in the city of Carson. The ducks and LAA are in Anaheim (2 pro teams). LA =
6 in city (7 adding LAA). 12 in greater Area.
Denver has nine in the city minus MLS in commerence city. Denver city = 8, metro = 9
So which is it for you? LA metro vs Denver metro or LA city vs Denver city? I'd like to know so I can hold you to a position...
Just to satisfy you and so I don't have to keep arguing about this use city limits for sports teams, which I ALREADY DID in the previous post. I am just looking at the 4 major sports leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL), which I ALREADY stated as well, if you want to include MLS go ahead I am not going to. And in that case all of LA's pro sports team are located within the city. That's all I am saying about it b/c you're just going to continue to find ways to knock LA, make Denver look good, interpret it however you want to fit your viewpoint and argue about it forever.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Just to satisfy you and so I don't have to keep arguing about this use city limits for sports teams, which I ALREADY DID in the previous post. I am just looking at the 4 major sports leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL), which I ALREADY stated as well, if you want to include MLS go ahead I am not going to. And in that case all of LA's pro sports team are located within the city. That's all I am saying about it b/c you're just going to continue to find ways to knock LA, make Denver look good, interpret it however you want to fit your viewpoint and argue about it forever.
Ok great the four major sports teams.

Denver has NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA = 4

LA has NHL, MLB, NBA = 3

Denver wins by a Bronco touchdown!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City