Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 AM

366 posts, read 1,441,404 times

Advertisements

Those are nice SweetHomeS.A, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
I must confess I like the Spanish or Mediterrean styles best in the San Antonio pictures. But a little experimentation does not hurt. San Antonio looks like a very interesting place architectually!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
These cities are pretty interesting, but i prefer harmony in cities (architecturally). Without the harmony, the cities are for me at least, a bit harder to visualize because they are all over the place with their image. They feel a bit undefined to me
Because we live in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic we get used to seeing entire towns with the same "theme" and old style buildings. But I am very glad that cities in Florida, southern California, parts of Texas and the Southwest chose to try to come up with their own styles. It would be very boring indeed if the entire country was covered with only Victorians or Brownstones.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:57 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I must confess I like the Spanish or Mediterrean styles best in the San Antonio pictures. But a little experimentation does not hurt. San Antonio looks like a very interesting place architectually!
It doesn't look as good in person, atleast it didn't to me. Dumpy in the sunbelt looks horrible! And they have a lot of dumpy! Their downtown is nice. Especially that River Walk, 5 miles outside of that, it's like you fell off the face of the earth, talk about isolated!....

Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
My man, been there, done that!...
Well then why are you asking?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
These cities are pretty interesting, but i prefer harmony in cities (architecturally). Without the harmony, the cities are for me at least, a bit harder to visualize because they are all over the place with their image. They feel a bit undefined to me
I like architectural harmony too, (nothing against Boston) but the sameness can get old when you live here. All of a sudden it becomes the standard. It's totally possible to walk into the wrong brownstone, especially when you're inebriated.

I think cities that are undefined architecturally are interesting too, because you can't characterize them as being one thing, even though people on this forum think they can. I agree that it is a little hard to visualize though.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:16 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Find it sad that the sunbelt cities STILL can't win when it comes to some posters. Even when they are not doing the norm as some of the older cities and are much more dense, cohesive, and more interesting, they are still looked at as trash. BTW, I love rowhomes and brownstones. Cities in the South and West do not have those (but can easily get rowhomes though). However, these alternatives are not as bad as some posters are making it.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Find it sad that the sunbelt cities STILL can't win when it comes to some posters. Even when they are not doing the norm as some of the older cities and are much more dense, cohesive, and more interesting, they are still looked at as trash. BTW, I love rowhomes and brownstones. Cities in the South and West do not have those (but can easily get rowhomes though). However, these alternatives are not as bad as some posters are making it.
I hope you were not referring to me! I like MOST of the houses pictured (except for a few truly horrifying modernist ones!) and I hope no one gets the wrong idea I only like old achitecture.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:34 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Well then why are you asking?
Asking what? You do know what a 'retorical' question is, don't you?..

I see you're from Boston, too bad about your Pats.... Not only, did they NOT win 4 Super Bowls in 6 years (like the Steelers did), but now the Steelers are up on you guys buy 3 RINGS!!!!...< smile for each ring!... Not to mention the embarrasing loss they suffered from the NEW YORK GIANTS!.............

Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
It doesn't look as good in person, atleast it didn't to me. Dumpy in the sunbelt looks horrible! And they have a lot of dumpy! Their downtown is nice. Especially that River Walk, 5 miles outside of that, it's like you fell off the face of the earth, talk about isolated!....

Dumpy in the sunbelt? S.A. has it's ghetto's but not like other large cities. Especially like those rustbelt, old steel towns.
San Antonio is not a new sunbelt city, it's 300 years old. It does not rank among the 20 poorest american cities. How is it isolated, and if so why is it one of the most visited cities in the U.S.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City