Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
What is it that makes Austin's nightlife better?

Also, which city overall is better for someone in their late 20's?
Austin is a self-fullfilling prophesy, in that it got the reputation as being a place that all the cool people wanted to go, and so all the cool people started moving there. Texas is a big state population wise, and for whatever reason a lot of the hip young Texans decided Austin is where they wanted to settle. So it's a mecca of sorts. It's best known for it's music, and it's music festivals. Although its more conservative than San Fransico, it's often noted that it is like a San Fransico of Texas, because it is more liberal any of the surrounding areas. It also has a "Silcon Alley" for IT jobs.

For a person in their late 20's, there's not a lot of better places to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
How is denver chop house a chain if its from Denver? is there really any city without a chain steak house and how many cities can claim that?
You are trying to have it both ways and you know I can't let that slide. You originally posted "I know Denver is known for steak houses not sure what Austin is known for (texmex?)." If Denver was known for steakhouses, then it wouldn't have chains that can be found all over the rest of the country. The Denver ChopHouse & Brewery is part of the Rock Bottom (Rock Bottom Brewery, Old Chicago) chain of restaurants, they have other ChopHouse locations in Boulder, Cleveland, and DC.

Quote:
Also, do they serve buffalo in all the local restaurants in Milwaukee? How about other cities? Can you name any that serve buffalo so commonly as Denver or are you just making stuff up again? Can you get Buffalo burgers at most of the dinners in the dakotas, WI, and other states? If so why wouldnt this make buffalo a unique cusine to those regions?
I've never been to the Dakotas, so I can't say if buffalo is as common as it is in Colorado. However, I see bison burgers quite often on menus in Milwaukee as well as elk and ostrich burgers.

Quote:
Also, you claim that Colorado isnt known for beef yet it is in the top ten states for beef production (my info was outdated on its ranking but my point still holds). Thus you were ignorant to make such a claim without first researching your facts.
I never said Colorado wasn't known for beef. Don't put words in my mouth. I just pointed out the FACT that it wasn't the number one beef producing state, that would be Texas.

Quote:
Oh I see so retail space has nothing to do with night life? Really? Ever heard of supply and demand? Probably not. You dont get 3.5 million sq feet of retail in a downtown without a few bars...
Retail space has absolutely nothing to do with a city's nightlife. Small cities like Daytona Beach have a way crazier nightlife than Denver does.

Quote:
Um there is 35000 students at the downtown campus and another 10k at U of Denver in the city limits. I am not going to follow your false division of students.
What false division? There are 3 separate institutions sharing the Auraria Campus. What is there to dispute?

Quote:
If 35000 students going to college downtown doesnt add night life then your point is false about U of T adding nightlife. But I disagree so why are you arguing with yourself? You do realize your comments are self refuting?
How am I arguing with myself? I've maintained the same stance throughout this little discussion. The main difference between Auraria Campus and the University of Texas is that the University of Texas isn't a commuter campus. It has students who live right on campus or very close by in a surrounding neighborhood. Auraria Campus, on the other hand, has extremely limited student housing, none of which is actually located on the campus itself. Auraria also lacks a traditional college neighborhood. When you have 50,000 students living within less than a mile of school, like Austin, you get a much more vibrant student neighborhood. DU is closer to UT in this aspect, just on a much smaller scale.

Quote:
The simply fact is you have no idea what you're talking about Mr. clark. You dont know **** about denver which is evident of your attempt to downplay the facts presented against you.
You have yet to provide any facts that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Denver has much more retail space (bars, restaurants etc) downtown, more foot traffic, a larger CBD, double the metro size, major sporting venues than Austin so how can it have less of a night life?
Because Denver lacks a major music festival like SXSW, Denver lacks Austin's awesome independent music scene, Denver lacks a freespirited college atmosphere, Denver lacks quirkiness and local character, Denver lacks many things that can't be purchased or fabricated. Austin has a superior nightlife because Austin is less pretentious than Denver and the people are infinitely friendlier and more outgoing.

Quote:
Put this in your pipe and smoke it Jbclark.

Here's where Colorado stands in beef production...

Colorado's Growth in Beef Exports Continue to Outpace Total U.S. Exports

Exports of beef from Colorado surged 55 percent in 2008 to $497 million. Colorado's top three markets represented over 91 percent of total exports and in each market Colorado is the number one or two supplier. Exports of beef from Colorado increased at a rate 33 percent faster than total U.S. beef exports, which topped $3 billion in 2008
Agriculture-Colorado:Colorado Beef Exports
Denver Vs. Austin-satellite.gif

What is this supposed to prove??? According to the graph titled "US Beef Exports By State" it shows Colorado is behind Texas and Kansas in beef exports. You really showed me who's boss.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 AM

795 posts, read 2,409,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You are trying to have it both ways and you know I can't let that slide. You originally posted "I know Denver is known for steak houses not sure what Austin is known for (texmex?)." If Denver was known for steakhouses, then it wouldn't have chains that can be found all over the rest of the country. The Denver ChopHouse & Brewery is part of the Rock Bottom (Rock Bottom Brewery, Old Chicago) chain of restaurants, they have other ChopHouse locations in Boulder, Cleveland, and DC.

I've never been to the Dakotas, so I can't say if buffalo is as common as it is in Colorado. However, I see bison burgers quite often on menus in Milwaukee as well as elk and ostrich burgers.

I never said Colorado wasn't known for beef. Don't put words in my mouth. I just pointed out the FACT that it wasn't the number one beef producing state, that would be Texas.

Retail space has absolutely nothing to do with a city's nightlife. Small cities like Daytona Beach have a way crazier nightlife than Denver does.

What false division? There are 3 separate institutions sharing the Auraria Campus. What is there to dispute?

How am I arguing with myself? I've maintained the same stance throughout this little discussion. The main difference between Auraria Campus and the University of Texas is that the University of Texas isn't a commuter campus. It has students who live right on campus or very close by in a surrounding neighborhood. Auraria Campus, on the other hand, has extremely limited student housing, none of which is actually located on the campus itself. Auraria also lacks a traditional college neighborhood. When you have 50,000 students living within less than a mile of school, like Austin, you get a much more vibrant student neighborhood. DU is closer to UT in this aspect, just on a much smaller scale.

You have yet to provide any facts that I'm aware of.

Because Denver lacks a major music festival like SXSW, Denver lacks Austin's awesome independent music scene, Denver lacks a freespirited college atmosphere, Denver lacks quirkiness and local character, Denver lacks many things that can't be purchased or fabricated. Austin has a superior nightlife because Austin is less pretentious than Denver and the people are infinitely friendlier and more outgoing.

Attachment 39421

What is this supposed to prove??? According to the graph titled "US Beef Exports By State" it shows Colorado is behind Texas and Kansas in beef exports. You really showed me who's boss.

See the problem here is that you are hell bent on bashing Denver at all cost. You often chime in with an opinion that just cannot be supported. You also tend to present false facts about the city.

Denver is known for its steak houses via being in cattle country and its large beef production. Buffalo is also a widely celebrated dish here and cannot be discredited because there are ranches in some other state. Even California has emu farms but its not a known cuisine there...

I cant see how saying Denver has all chains makes it less a city known for steak houses. Every good steak house had to start in a city and the odds are it expanded throughout the nation. So your point here is just bizarre.

Also, you tried to make a pint about how Austin has a great night night life due to its large college presence while discrediting the sizable college population in downtown Denver. This is just inconsistent. Denver also has more higher education opportunities than Austin. You can factor in CU boulder as well as the many religious institutions for this matter. Denver is in the top ten for cities with peopel holding a college degree (37%) and ranks among the highest in literacy in the U.S.

Your understanding of supply and demand is quite strange. If a city possess a much larger CBD, which is aided by the count of workface and retail options then there is a larger demand for consumption. Thus you get more foot traffic. You also get more bars and restaurants, many more in Denver's case compared to Austin. And I still have no idea what quality of bars over quantity means. As if Denver has a bunch of cowboy bars that resemble small rural towns...

As far as culture events, Austin doesn’t hold a candle. We had the largest MILK parade in the U.S. this year, largest saint patties day parade west of the Mississippi, and one of the largest cinco de mayo festival in the U.S. Our music venues include red rocks ampthreatre and the Fillmore, which are well known. Throw in the fray and flobots and you got an active music scene. I'm thinkng Denver beats Austin in culture events, art, and other festivities.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:41 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
See the problem here is that you are hell bent on bashing Denver at all cost. You often chime in with an opinion that just cannot be supported. You also tend to present false facts about the city.
You also tend to make very vague statements. What, specifically, are you referring to? I have backed up all of my claims so far.

Quote:
Denver is known for its steak houses via being in cattle country and its large beef production. Buffalo is also a widely celebrated dish here and cannot be discredited because there are ranches in some other state. Even California has emu farms but its not a known cuisine there...
We've established that Colorado is in fact cattle country, however, the city of Denver is still not widely recognized for its steakhouses. Omaha and Chicago have historically been centers of meatpacking, and therefore are cities with long traditions of fine steakhouses, unlike Denver. You can't eat a steak until somebody cuts up a cow, that's just a fact of life.

Quote:
I cant see how saying Denver has all chains makes it less a city known for steak houses. Every good steak house had to start in a city and the odds are it expanded throughout the nation. So your point here is just bizarre.
Please don't assume every city is the way Denver is. Plenty of cities have non-franchise restaurants.

Quote:
Also, you tried to make a pint about how Austin has a great night night life due to its large college presence while discrediting the sizable college population in downtown Denver. This is just inconsistent. Denver also has more higher education opportunities than Austin. You can factor in CU boulder as well as the many religious institutions for this matter. Denver is in the top ten for cities with peopel holding a college degree (37%) and ranks among the highest in literacy in the U.S.
The "sizable college population in downtown Denver" you speak of is non-existent. Hardly any students live in downtown Denver, how could they possibly afford it? There are 35,000 students in downtown Denver on the Auraria Campus, DURING THE DAYTIME! Auraria is a COMMUTER CAMPUS that means the majority of students commute long distances to attend classes there. Which is not at all the same as a TRADITIONAL CAMPUS like the University of Texas, where you have a permanent student presence day and night. And we were talking about nightlife right? How can you honestly try to compare the two campuses as if they are the same? UT-Austin is a traditional college campus like CU-Boulder or UW-Madison, Auraria is an abomination.

What does the number of people with degrees and literacy rates have to do with this discussion? Yes, Denver does have a highly educated populace. However, Denver is mostly composed of transplants from all over the country. The vast majority of those recent arrivals didn't earn their degrees at Colorado institutions, they earned them in some other state.

Quote:
Your understanding of supply and demand is quite strange. If a city possess a much larger CBD, which is aided by the count of workface and retail options then there is a larger demand for consumption. Thus you get more foot traffic. You also get more bars and restaurants, many more in Denver's case compared to Austin. And I still have no idea what quality of bars over quantity means. As if Denver has a bunch of cowboy bars that resemble small rural towns...
What are you babbling about here? I never said the bars in Denver were a bunch of cowboy bars, I'm not sure where you got that from. Just because your city has more bars than another city, doesn't necessarily mean your city has better bars than the other city. Denver hardly has anything that even qualifies as a bar in the first place. Denver mainly has upscale lounges like Funky Buddha and the Thin Man that charge $5 for a beer, $6 for a shot, $10 for a glass of wine, and $12 for a martini. No thanks, I'd rather get more oomph for my dollar.

Quote:
As far as culture events, Austin doesn’t hold a candle. We had the largest MILK parade in the U.S. this year, largest saint patties day parade west of the Mississippi, and one of the largest cinco de mayo festival in the U.S. Our music venues include red rocks ampthreatre and the Fillmore, which are well known. Throw in the fray and flobots and you got an active music scene. I'm thinkng Denver beats Austin in culture events, art, and other festivities.
2010 MLK Grande Parade
I assume you mean MLK, not milk. Houston has the largest MLK parade and celebration in the country, not Denver. Nice try though. I don't know why you thought Denver's was the largest, especially since Denver is only 10.8% African-American.

Denver may very well have the largest St. Patrick's Day celebration west of the Mississippi, but there isn't much competition to speak of. Oh, and Denver actually has the largest Cinco De Mayo, so I'll let you have that one.

Red Rocks is an iconic music venue, perhaps the best in the nation, but venues don't equate to having a "music scene" like Austin or Nashville.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:02 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,531 times
Quote:
You also tend to make very vague statements. What, specifically, are you referring to? I have backed up all of my claims so far.

We've established that Colorado is in fact cattle country, however, the city of Denver is still not widely recognized for its steakhouses. Omaha and Chicago have historically been centers of meatpacking, and therefore are cities with long traditions of fine steakhouses, unlike Denver. You can't eat a steak until somebody cuts up a cow, that's just a fact of life.

Please don't assume every city is the way Denver is. Plenty of cities have non-franchise restaurants.

The "sizable college population in downtown Denver" you speak of is non-existent. Hardly any students live in downtown Denver, how could they possibly afford it? There are 35,000 students in downtown Denver on the Auraria Campus, DURING THE DAYTIME! Auraria is a COMMUTER CAMPUS that means the majority of students commute long distances to attend classes there. Which is not at all the same as a TRADITIONAL CAMPUS like the University of Texas, where you have a permanent student presence day and night. And we were talking about nightlife right? How can you honestly try to compare the two campuses as if they are the same? UT-Austin is a traditional college campus like CU-Boulder or UW-Madison, Auraria is an abomination.

What does the number of people with degrees and literacy rates have to do with this discussion? Yes, Denver does have a highly educated populace. However, Denver is mostly composed of transplants from all over the country. The vast majority of those recent arrivals didn't earn their degrees at Colorado institutions, they earned them in some other state.

What are you babbling about here? I never said the bars in Denver were a bunch of cowboy bars, I'm not sure where you got that from. Just because your city has more bars than another city, doesn't necessarily mean your city has better bars than the other city. Denver hardly has anything that even qualifies as a bar in the first place. Denver mainly has upscale lounges like Funky Buddha and the Thin Man that charge $5 for a beer, $6 for a shot, $10 for a glass of wine, and $12 for a martini. No thanks, I'd rather get more oomph for my dollar.

2010 MLK Grande Parade
I assume you mean MLK, not milk. Houston has the largest MLK parade and celebration in the country, not Denver. Nice try though. I don't know why you thought Denver's was the largest, especially since Denver is only 10.8% African-American.

Denver may very well have the largest St. Patrick's Day celebration west of the Mississippi, but there isn't much competition to speak of. Oh, and Denver actually has the largest Cinco De Mayo, so I'll let you have that one.

Red Rocks is an iconic music venue, perhaps the best in the nation, but venues don't equate to having a "music scene" like Austin or Nashville.
Try researching your facts better. Denver has long had a historical african american neighborhood called "the five points". This year 2009 Denver allegedly topped Atlanta at their MLK parade. Often it is Atlanta but this year may have been affected by the Obama swearing in and the fact that Denver had really nice weather.

Thousands attend MLK parade in Denver

Gathering is one of country's largest; CU, Lafayette also hold events

Thousands attend MLK parade in Denver : Obama Inauguration : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/19/thousands-attend-mlk-parade-obama-inauguration/ - broken link)

MLK marade pics by DenverAztec
https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...gs-marade.html

Funny Jbclark...you first complain about the quality of a bar than you complain about denver having too many high end bars. This seems to be another inconsistancy. The fact is there are plenty of dive bars in the golden triangle and cap hill hoods. You should know that.

P.S. A commuter campus doesnt mean people communte from long distances but rather that the students dont live on campus...

Old 05-14-2009, 11:50 AM

26 posts, read 81,953 times
lol... cat fight.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:17 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Just had to add that I've eaten Buffalo plenty of times in California too. Sorry, it's not just a Denver or Colorado thing.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:11 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,631 times
I dig Austin, but my vote goes to Denver.

Oh D-town. I find it amusing how you try so hard to represent Denver and end up failing so miserably.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,699 times
Quote:

2010 MLK Grande Parade

San Antonio has the largest MLK parade, unless it was out done this year.
http://www.family-fun-in-and-around-...anantonio.html

Old 05-14-2009, 01:31 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,699 times
Denver is more of a big corporate city, Austin is a hip college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City