Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spltend View Post
I know someone already asked this, but which is a better fit for someone in their mid-20s? I live in Nashville now and like it, but I could use a bigger city (Denver) OR somewhere less commercialized with music I'm more into (Austin). I have a motorcycle AND love to snowboard. Am I right to assume the riding season in Denver is going to be pretty short?
If you don't have a college degree and a career, then don't bother moving to Denver. Unless you have a brand new car, a brand new condo, and $10,000 in outdoor recreational equipment, then you're not going to fit in there.

As far as music scenes go, that's a no-brainer with Austin having the superior music scene. When you say riding season, do you mean motorcycle or snowboarding? Both are pretty long in CO. I would think you could ride a motorcycle in Denver from early March to late November, and I think you can hit the slopes from mid October to early June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
I cant see how Austin beats Denver in night life and Restaurants. There are over 90 bars in Lodo alone. The retail space in Denver is far greater than Austin (3.5 million vs 450k). There has to be more bars and restaurants in Denver. I know Denver is known for steak houses not sure what Austin is known for (texmex?).
Agree.
I never thought the restaurants in Austin were that great when I was living there. Much better can be found in Houston and Dallas.
And Austin's nightlife seemed to revolve heavily around the college scene... if that's your thing I guess it's fine.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Austin is a self-fullfilling prophesy, in that it got the reputation as being a place that all the cool people wanted to go, and so all the cool people started moving there. Texas is a big state population wise, and for whatever reason a lot of the hip young Texans decided Austin is where they wanted to settle. So it's a mecca of sorts. It's best known for it's music, and it's music festivals. Although its more conservative than San Fransico, it's often noted that it is like a San Fransico of Texas, because it is more liberal any of the surrounding areas. It also has a "Silcon Alley" for IT jobs.

For a person in their late 20's, there's not a lot of better places to be.
I just disagree. I lived there in my early 20's and was already bored. Things didn't get better when it proclaimed itself cool; things got worse as the city got more and more crowded and started developing all the big-city problems.
I laugh when people try to compare it to San Francisco or the Bay Area. It's still a city of car culture, and outside of the university area, it's really not any more liberal than the rest of Texas.
In short - Austin's overrated.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 AM

32 posts, read 148,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
If you don't have a college degree and a career, then don't bother moving to Denver. Unless you have a brand new car, a brand new condo, and $10,000 in outdoor recreational equipment, then you're not going to fit in there.

As far as music scenes go, that's a no-brainer with Austin having the superior music scene. When you say riding season, do you mean motorcycle or snowboarding? Both are pretty long in CO. I would think you could ride a motorcycle in Denver from early March to late November, and I think you can hit the slopes from mid October to early June.
Yeah I was referring to motorcycle. Is winter really that short? I'm from Pennsylvania (between Cleveland and Buffalo) and our winters would start around Halloween and go into late March, I just kinda assumed Denver would be the same, if not longer (winter that is).

And what do you mean about the condo, car, etc...Are you saying people in Denver are shallow? I feel like some people in Nashville are a bit this way. When I moved here I expected a little more of a college feel, but honestly I dont think I've met a single Vandy student I could stand (no offense anyone). Everyone seems to be living of their parents. As far as the job thing, well, I'd rather be around people with good jobs and careers anyhow. I've heard Austin is similiar to Nashville, but I have to think it's got more of a college feel to it with UT. Plus I'd trade SXSW for CMA fest any day, I can't stand that crap.

One more question, do either of these cities have more "bad" areas than most cities? The reason I ask is that I am a retail pharmacists and being new to an area I'll more than likely be forced to a less than desired store. I understand that all cities have their bad areas, but is one going to be worse than another?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
I guess Austin.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Yeah I was referring to motorcycle. Is winter really that short? I'm from Pennsylvania (between Cleveland and Buffalo) and our winters would start around Halloween and go into late March, I just kinda assumed Denver would be the same, if not longer (winter that is).
Denver is in a high desert climate and at a much lower latitude than Pennsylvania or the Upper Midwest. It's very sunny all year and temps can go into the 60's during winter, but it can also snow in the middle of June.

Quote:
And what do you mean about the condo, car, etc...Are you saying people in Denver are shallow? I feel like some people in Nashville are a bit this way. When I moved here I expected a little more of a college feel, but honestly I dont think I've met a single Vandy student I could stand (no offense anyone). Everyone seems to be living of their parents. As far as the job thing, well, I'd rather be around people with good jobs and careers anyhow. I've heard Austin is similiar to Nashville, but I have to think it's got more of a college feel to it with UT. Plus I'd trade SXSW for CMA fest any day, I can't stand that crap.
Yes the people in Denver can seem very shallow. It's really hard to impress girls when you live in a studio apartment and don't own a car and you have to compete against guys who drive Bentleys and own cabins in the mountains. It's almost impossible to get laid, especially since Denver has way more guys than girls to begin with. Also, all of those extreme sports are extremely expensive to participate in. If you ever want to go kayaking, rock climbing, snowboarding, etc, be prepared to shell out several thousand dollars on equipment.

So, are you still looking for a college town? If the answer is yes, than I suggest going to Austin. Denver has no college neighborhoods besides DU, which is a very expensive private university. If you want to pretend like you live on the MTV show "The Hills" then it's a great place to go to college, otherwise I'd say Austin.

Quote:
One more question, do either of these cities have more "bad" areas than most cities? The reason I ask is that I am a retail pharmacists and being new to an area I'll more than likely be forced to a less than desired store. I understand that all cities have their bad areas, but is one going to be worse than another?
Not to sure about Austin, but Denver really has nothing that I would describe as a bad or dangerous neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times
Just remember that Boulder is in close proximity to Denver, actually in a proximity that most big cities would consider like a suburb, and has the Colorado Buffaloes. If you're just a person that generally likes college football, basketball, etc. that IS there. But if it has to be a top team in the nation, then of course the Texas Longhorns have much better sports teams than the Colorado Buffaloes. But it's not as if there is NO college sports if you live in the Denver metro.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Austin's music scene is very integrated into the cultural fabric among the general population. Or at least it used to be. That was before the yuppies bought lofts over the bars on Sixth Street to be cool and afterwards realized that drunk people and live music have a tendency to be loud. The live music scene still exists, but it's been largely emasculated by those yuppies and their henchmen in the local government.

As far as which is better, Denver or Austin, I like to visit Austin, but I could see myself actually living in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City