Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
LMAO THE CITY THAT DOESNT WORK OR THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!

I've hAd enough im out

BUT HOLD UP IT GETS BETTER. Are you telling me......that Chicago has literally held the SAME MAYOR SINCE THE EIGHTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Wow. motherf...ing KING DALEY. What type of stuff is that. LOL chicago sux
Quote from NYC Mayor David Bloomberg: "Sweeping layoffs of government employees are needed to prevent New York going bankrupt".

I don't think any city in the nation can hold a candle to the amount of corruption that has taken place in NYC. It's the type of corruption that has hit economies around the country and all over the globe.

I don't know why I bother; I'm guessing I'm speaking to a child anyway.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Yikes, all these posts with all capital letters and exclamation points is hurting my brain...it's only a matter of time before we get our first ROFFLE COPTER

Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
LMAO THE CITY THAT DOESNT WORK OR THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!

I've hAd enough im out

BUT HOLD UP IT GETS BETTER. Are you telling me......that Chicago has literally held the SAME MAYOR SINCE THE EIGHTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Wow. motherf...ing KING DALEY. What type of stuff is that. LOL chicago sux
YES, ThanKS for the WoNderFUl pOST -- added a LOt To the diSCussiON WHICH is SayiNG a bIT because this threAD is F&ckiN$ AwfuL LIKE All these ChICAGO VersUS ThREAds!!!

In EffORT To BrING YOU UP to SpEEd on CURRENT EvEnTs...!!! MayOR DALEY has BeeN Voted King OF ChiCAGO !!! and HIS Term RUNS Until his Death Or UNTIL ThIS THREAD ENDS. NOT suRE WhiCH wiLL COME FIRST. YOU MaY NOT KNOw It but there is an AMenDMent in hIS Mayorality Which Makes Him Mayor OF NeW yoRk CitY AS Well. The DEEp DisH piZZa's, EXTRa grift, WinD anD a SiLVER ShoveL ARE In The Mail!!! Yay FOR Big Bad NYC!!!

BTW -- FWIW BTW RSVP PS LMAO an emoticon a thumbs up sincerely FYI and LOL

Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,376 times
The article/blog brings up some good points but leaves out some details that put things intop perspective

1) The US government is the #1 employer in the US. Why would Chicago be any different?

2) City agencies for every city have a ton of workers.

3) The charter school program is being touted as the way of the future in DC, yet here it's a bad thing? Of course kids are being pulled out of CPS and put into charter schools.

4) Unions - yeah, show me an established city that doesn't have this issue

5) He goes off on banking and mutual funds, but then notes that the futures exchange is becoming computerized. And banking and mutual funds aren't becoming computerized?

6) Every city has bad corruption - Boston and NYC are up there as well. What was it, 3 people who died because of a crooked crane inspector in NY? As for Boston corruption: Is Chuck Turner Arrest Sign Of Wider Boston Corruption Probe? - wbztv.com (http://wbztv.com/local/chuck.turner.arrested.2.870449.html - broken link)

Chicago has problems, that's for sure. We literally have some of the dumbest voters on the face of the planet, but one bright spot is that things are reaching a tipping point after Rezko, Blago and the parking meters. It's no longer behind the scenes. CPS sucks, the CTA is undefunded, and we have large areas of the city that have pretty much been written off.

What I'd like to see is the usual Chicago bashers take a look in the mirror and criticize their own cities. NorthEnd, tell us about the Big Dig and Boston's reputation as a racist city. Dementor, tell us about how NYC is going to cope with rising sea levels, unaffordable housing, service cuts to the MTA, and the threat of the wealthy leaving the city due to tax increases.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
The article/blog brings up some good points but leaves out some details that put things intop perspective

1) The US government is the #1 employer in the US. Why would Chicago be any different?

3) The charter school program is being touted as the way of the future in DC, yet here it's a bad thing? Of course kids are being pulled out of CPS and put into charter schools.

5) He goes off on banking and mutual funds, but then notes that the futures exchange is becoming computerized. And banking and mutual funds aren't becoming computerized?

6) Every city has bad corruption - Boston and NYC are up there as well. What was it, 3 people who died because of a crooked crane inspector in NY? As for Boston corruption: Is Chuck Turner Arrest Sign Of Wider Boston Corruption Probe? - wbztv.com (http://wbztv.com/local/chuck.turner.arrested.2.870449.html - broken link)

Chicago has problems, that's for sure. We literally have some of the dumbest voters on the face of the planet, but one bright spot is that things are reaching a tipping point after Rezko, Blago and the parking meters. It's no longer behind the scenes. CPS sucks, the CTA is undefunded, and we have large areas of the city that have pretty much been written off.

What I'd like to see is the usual Chicago bashers take a look in the mirror and criticize their own cities. NorthEnd, tell us about the Big Dig and Boston's reputation as a racist city. Dementor, tell us about how NYC is going to cope with rising sea levels, unaffordable housing, service cuts to the MTA, and the threat of the wealthy leaving the city due to tax increases.
good post, I think the main negatives Chicago has is to do with climate... political and weather.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
The same it did it before. Thankfully New York has a mayor who does not easily bow to to pressure from unions. The same being true for Gulliani. New York due to its prestige, is blessed with good, reasonable but tough mayors.

Quote:
Do you really mean that generations of Chicago machine politics and general public's tolerancy for corruption can be eradicated with few arrests?
It's the same political machine, the same people, same families and the same results. Chicago politics is corrupt to the bone and it is only due to the fact that for generations Chicagoans accepted corruption as natural part of politics.
Chicago in my opinion suffers from a terminal case of "I do not care" syndrom, where most citizens, like most Chicago posters, are so happy with the city that they are afraid any change would be for the worse. There are many things I won't understand or accept in Chicago, one of them being lack of term limits another complacency and resignation of voters, another almost total lack of citizen activism. Chicagoans can only blame themselves for the sorry state of Chicago politics and the fiscal breakdown that the city is experiencing.
At this very moment Daley is planning leasing other cash cows making sure that whomever comes after him will have even less revenue sources.
All this while Chicago roads are the worst I encountered in my entire life and Chicago schools and police are what they are.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,376 times
Dementor, this is out of Bloomberg's hands. Decisions made in Albany affect the city as much as decisions made in city hall. Your state government plans to make up the deficit by increasing taxes on the wealthy...and as Bloomberg has pointed out, the wealthiest 40,000 New yorkers pay 50% of the city's taxes. Rush Limbaugh is starting a campaign to get the wealthy to move out of state if the budget goes through, which would kill NYC's coffers.

Unlike IL, NY's tax burden is already one of the highest in the nation and there just aren't any more turnips to milk. The MTA is going to have to cut service without a federal bailout.

Also, I know that you love Bloomberg but I don't see how he's going to protect lower manhattan and the subway system from higher sea levels.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:47 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
20 years now...

his dad was mayor for 21 years...

chicago and corruption go hand in hand, what other city sells mobster souvenirs at walgreens and your neighborhood jewel/osco?

do they sell john gotti stuff in nyc walgreens?
Lol ya i cant believe these people are trying to reason with this. Lol for your info im 21 about to be 22 faar from a child. I was born in 87. Mayor Daley has been in office since 89. Which means you have grown ass men livng in chicago who've only known one mayor. lol. If that doesnt say curruption on the most basic of levels, than i dont know what to tell you. We have a billionair for a mayor whos running the city quite well.

BUT WHO CARES HAIL KING DALEY, right?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
We have a billionair for a mayor whos running the city quite well.
So, you have a billionaire business man running your city, which is on the verge of bankruptcy, because he simply did not have the foresight to tell that employee pensions and benefits are going to bankrupt the city?

Sounds like NYC has everything all figured out.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Yes. But Chicago seems to have more than ifs fair share. Ever since I got to Chicago I could not understand how rationalize having traffic lights and then putting two city workers to direct the traffic according to those lights. How do they help? How can the city afford two salaries per intersection in the Loop?
Another example is the recent sanitation department scandal where it was shown how much time sanitation workers acutally spend doing their jobs. Chicago's corruption is not limited to high-ranking officials, most city workers defraud the city this way or another. It's the way of life here in Chicago.

Quote:
Is the flight from CPS attributed to utilization of charter program? Do you have any sources to support this?

Quote:
It boils down to how cities deal with their unions. Is Chicago very effective here? See point 2

Quote:
He simply states the fact that Chicago lost all of the clout in baking it had before. That's a fact.

Quote:
Chicago does not have term limits, the last two Illinois governors were indicted on corruption charges. What are we comparing here?

Most of your answer Hendu come down to very defensive "look at yourself". I think this particular trait, defensiveness, is partly to blaim for Chicago problems as a lot of them are swept under the carpet with a dimissive "every city has problems" remark. I listene to some of Daley's conferences and I could not believe how arrognat he sounded, it was almost as if he wanted to say" you do not like it, get out". Unfortunately for Chicago a lot of people took this advice personally and literally got out of Chicago hence the negative population growth.
That's one of points against Chicago, you have claims of vibrant live, vivid culture and everyone chose to forget about terrible city's streets, crime, public schools, police and corruption.
They say the band on Titanic played until the very end...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City