Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs DC
Philadelphia 127 48.11%
Washington, D.C. 137 51.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times

Advertisements

Philly..
The food, the location, and the city itself suits me better than DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 02:17 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
So yeah what influences does DC have that are southern besides the odd southern transplant such as myself?
I think this is old thinking. Alot of people in DC were typically from the South, primarily Virginia and North Carolina. This has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years where DC (as I see it) is alot more international than it used to be.

Also, Philly has more colonial (Revolutionary War) architecture than DC. DC wasn't built during the Revolutionary War and had alot of trouble getting funds so they taxed the citizens of the then-established towns of Alexandria, VA and Georgetown in order to build the city.

Philly has a nice flavor especially with its neighborhoods. But between the two, my vote is for DC.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
The architectural style of the White House is the same as the big Southern plantation mansions in the deep South.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:15 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Well architecture is very subjective. I can call what you would say the ugliest building in the world the most beautiful and we'd both be right.

DC proper has influences from the south? I guess I see what you're saying. "I'm in the north now!" was the first thing I said when I got to Alexandria, VA. Yes VA has schools and roads named after confederate soldiers but that seems to be about it. DC city proper doesn't even have that. So yeah what influences does DC have that are southern besides the odd southern transplant such as myself?
Well I do not mean there are glaring southern influences.I guess what i'm saying is that it does not have as strong of a Northeast presence.People while generally not as friendly as they are in Atlanta,are more so than in the northeast.In D.C.,from a black perspective,many of the blacks that are there have closer ties to the South than the North.Unlike in New York,many of the blacks there tend have a dual heritage.Some blacks there have roots in the Caribbean,this is not AS true in D.C.So some of the "habits",foods,and cultural things are in large part,their due to more current transplants from the South than more generationally in NYC,Boston,etc..It makes sense to because it is closer.Richmod(former Capital of the Confederacy is only 1.5hrs away.Charlotte 4 or 5 hrs.

I mean lets face historically D.C. is was created IN THE South as a compromise between Southern and Northern States.Yes,as far as today is concerned it does have more in common with the Northeast,but it still retains traces of very Southern associations.Remember nearby Virginia and Maryland were SLAVE STATES.They were also segregationist states.Those influences(the good and bad) have strongly had an impact on why D.C. is so predominately black today.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I think this is old thinking. Alot of people in DC were typically from the South, primarily Virginia and North Carolina. This has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years where DC (as I see it) is alot more international than it used to be.

Also, Philly has more colonial (Revolutionary War) architecture than DC. DC wasn't built during the Revolutionary War and had alot of trouble getting funds so they taxed the citizens of the then-established towns of Alexandria, VA and Georgetown in order to build the city.

Philly has a nice flavor especially with its neighborhoods. But between the two, my vote is for DC.
I agree it is more international today.But Atlanta has also grown more internationally as well.It is not your typical Southern city.Neither is Houston.Which is one of the most diverse cities in the nation.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:32 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Woah! You're getting personal. I never said that "all white philadelphians are racist" so keep my name out of that. I read this in the news, google it. I'm explaining what I read. I specifically wrote "there were reports of" that means that's what was reported. I was not there so I can't say xyz happened I can only say what was reported.
I wasn't at all associating that with you -- no need to take it personally. I understand a poster other than you had made that claim. I just didn't recall what you claimed in what I read about the story -- that's all. I also really don't mean to insinuate you are lying or exaggerating -- I'm placing the blame on the national media for misrepresenting the story to the public. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Re: Posters Comparing Public Transportation in Both Cities

I understand that MARC and VRE serve as more extensive rail options in the DC area. However, that is something that SEPTA still has an edge; you don't have to switch from commuter rail to a different system on SEPTA using its commuter rail. Seven different suburban rail lines fan out in every direction from 3 downtown stations, with some suburbs a good 40 miles away from the city (i.e., Doylestown, Thorndale). That commuter rail cohesiveness is simply not as available in the DC area.

It's also important to note that SEPTA CURRENTLY -- and has offered for many years -- rail service directly from its international airport to Center City Philadelphia. It is to my understanding that Metro is in the process of expanding service to Dulles. Nevertheless, that is an important feature that gives SEPTA a slight edge over WMATA in terms of transportation connectivity.

http://www.septa.org/slices/systemmap.jpg

Again, I certainly understand and concede that Metro is overall much more efficient and cleaner, but I think it's important to give credit where credit is due.

Also, SEPTA's planned upgrades of station refurbishment, implementing a state-of-the-art fare collection system, and replacing commuter rail cars with much more modern vehicles will certainly allow it to compete with Metro in the coming years.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-20-2009 at 07:09 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well I do not mean there are glaring southern influences.I guess what i'm saying is that it does not have as strong of a Northeast presence.People while generally not as friendly as they are in Atlanta,are more so than in the northeast.
Well now most here don't really think of DC as northeast. I'll give you that. The term that seems to be used a lot is Mid-Atlantic which I would say yeah it's Mid-Atlantic. It's definitely NOT southern. Once upon a time sure Northern Virginia was just like the rest of VA but not now. That's my point. On a personal note I am homesick for Georgia (the real part not Atlanta) (Joke, kinda)

Quote:
D.C.,from a black perspective,many of the blacks that are there have closer ties to the South than the North.Unlike in New York,many of the blacks there tend have a dual heritage.Some blacks there have roots in the Caribbean,this is not AS true in D.C.So some of the "habits",foods,and cultural things are in large part,their due to more current transplants from the South than more generationally in NYC,Boston,etc.
I don't see it. At the same time DC is NOT NYC or Boston. A lot of people from NYC, Boston, Philly etc will call DC southern when it's really just different from those cities and people don't know how to categorize it the same with Baltimore. Which is why Mid-Atlantic is more appropriate.

Yes New York has a lot of people with ties to the Caribbean but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the majority of over 1 million black folks in NYC are from the Islands though. Which is what it sounds like you're implying that most black New Yorkers are from the Caribbean a lot are but there are plenty of black folks who aren't. I mean outside of NYC most non-southern cities with large black populations lack the large number of people from the Islands or Africa including Philly. I'm going to go as far as to say that NO city in America has a black population with a majority that has immigrant ties. Which is part of what makes America unique because I think America is the only industrilized country with a major black population that is NOT immigrant based. Canada and England had slavery but not to the degree of the United States.

Quote:
It makes sense to because it is closer.Richmod(former Capital of the Confederacy is only 1.5hrs away.Charlotte 4 or 5 hrs.
That's part of what makes DC so unique the fact that it is so close to southern city like Richmond but has so little in common with Richmond.

Quote:
I mean lets face historically D.C. is was created IN THE South as a compromise between Southern and Northern States.
That's true. I think I read that the proximity to George Washington's plantation (Mt. Vernon) played a factor on the location too. I don't deny that once upon a time this was a southern area. What I argue is that it is no longer Southern at all. Aside from names of roads and high schools I'm not seeing a Southern legacy that hasn't died out. So I'm not saying that it wasn't there once upon a time. I'm saying that it's gone.

Quote:
Yes,as far as today is concerned it does have more in common with the Northeast,but it still retains traces of very Southern associations.Remember nearby Virginia and Maryland were SLAVE STATES.They were also segregationist states.Those influences(the good and bad) have strongly had an impact on why D.C. is so predominately black today.
Yes VA and MD were indeed slave states. Again it's not that I don't deny that there was a southern history in this area but it's not there TODAY. It's just gone. I wish DC was more like the South but it simply is not. It's not New York but New York is a unique place in it of itself just like DC. They had segregation in a lot of cities in the north. A black man being able to buy a house in a white neighborhood was not possible 50 years ago in most cities north or south.

The fact that there was slavery in Maryland and Virginia did indeed play a role in the large black population of DC but there's more to Chocolate City than that. Part of that is the fact it's not so Chocolate anymore due to gentrification pushing a number of folks to Prince Georges county next door. Really and truly black DC is very very unique. The way the letter R is pronounced and I'm still trying to figure out what a bama is. This is all part of what makes DC awesome despite my confusion over bamas.

So yeah still not too convinced we may have to agree to disagree.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:05 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
I won't deny that SEPTA is more extensive but it's also older and has more time to develop than DC's metro. Also the metro does go to Raegen National Airport just not Dulles.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It's also important to note that SEPTA CURRENTLY -- and has offered for many years -- rail service directly from its international airport to Center City Philadelphia. It is to my understanding that Metro is in the process of expanding service to Dulles. Nevertheless, that is an important feature that gives SEPTA a slight edge over WMATA in terms of transportation connectivity.
Three airports serve DC (Reagan, Dulles, BWI) and the Metro has a stop at Reagan which is pretty much the main airport of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City