Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs DC
Philadelphia 127 48.11%
Washington, D.C. 137 51.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:04 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
OK, the YouTube posts are overdone and, frankly, a bit juvenile. Just go ahead and show one for every city you dislike and get it over with, but please know they exist for your city also.
So if its a southern posters attacking we cant say anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:27 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I thought Philly was the dirtiest city I ever drove through on Interstate-95,I thought Jacksonville had slums ,they are just bad areas compared to Philly's war zone.

I liked Washington D.C. wish I would have seen it at night though,the roads were a mess there though all torn up.
You posted the same exact thing in another thread. Pretty unoriginal.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:36 PM

725 posts, read 1,210,714 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Don't get me wrong Pennsylvania is a beautiful State it just Philly that is dirty. I would have love to seen Washington D.C. lit up at night that would have been beautiful.
You KEEP saying its soooo dirty and stuff. Put you never show pictures, you show nothing. We keep giving you beautiful pictures. AND YOU KEEP BEING IGNORANT. You need to grow up

Old 09-08-2012, 05:18 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I didn't notice this thread before. Based on OP's criteria:

nightlife - Tied

public transportation - DC

restaurants - Tied. DC for overall variety. Philly for local food innovation.

shopping - Philly

scenery - DC (Memorial parks are breathtaking)

colleges - Philly

is better for young pros/college students - Tied. DC for young pros. Philly for college students.

museums - DC

architecture - DC (slight edge because of famous monuments and federal buildings)

diversity - DC

Adding a few more criteria:

skyline - Philly, of course

economic and jobs - DC

quality of suburbs - DC

location - Philly

more urban - Philly

more powerful - DC

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-08-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 06:28 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,589 times
Dc

Old 09-08-2012, 09:58 PM

90 posts, read 207,969 times
Dc

Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
DC. Honestly, Philly isn't really on DC's level at the moment, in my opinion.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
DC. Honestly, Philly isn't really on DC's level at the moment, in my opinion.
What this guy said. ^^

Old 11-08-2012, 01:04 AM

612 posts, read 843,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Philadelphia is like a bigger Baltimore, in terms of blue collar, pace and way of life.

D.C. is like a smaller New York in terms of type of city, and global importance, but with it's own recognizable identity to stand on it's own (Not that Philly doesn't), but thats why I voted D.C.
Why do people on this site keep saying this BS? What do these two cities have in common, with the exception of rowhouses?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 AM

612 posts, read 843,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well now most here don't really think of DC as northeast. I'll give you that. The term that seems to be used a lot is Mid-Atlantic which I would say yeah it's Mid-Atlantic. It's definitely NOT southern. Once upon a time sure Northern Virginia was just like the rest of VA but not now. That's my point. On a personal note I am homesick for Georgia (the real part not Atlanta) (Joke, kinda)

I don't see it. At the same time DC is NOT NYC or Boston. A lot of people from NYC, Boston, Philly etc will call DC southern when it's really just different from those cities and people don't know how to categorize it the same with Baltimore. Which is why Mid-Atlantic is more appropriate.

Yes New York has a lot of people with ties to the Caribbean but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the majority of over 1 million black folks in NYC are from the Islands though. Which is what it sounds like you're implying that most black New Yorkers are from the Caribbean a lot are but there are plenty of black folks who aren't. I mean outside of NYC most non-southern cities with large black populations lack the large number of people from the Islands or Africa including Philly. I'm going to go as far as to say that NO city in America has a black population with a majority that has immigrant ties. Which is part of what makes America unique because I think America is the only industrilized country with a major black population that is NOT immigrant based. Canada and England had slavery but not to the degree of the United States.

That's part of what makes DC so unique the fact that it is so close to southern city like Richmond but has so little in common with Richmond.

That's true. I think I read that the proximity to George Washington's plantation (Mt. Vernon) played a factor on the location too. I don't deny that once upon a time this was a southern area. What I argue is that it is no longer Southern at all. Aside from names of roads and high schools I'm not seeing a Southern legacy that hasn't died out. So I'm not saying that it wasn't there once upon a time. I'm saying that it's gone.

Yes VA and MD were indeed slave states. Again it's not that I don't deny that there was a southern history in this area but it's not there TODAY. It's just gone. I wish DC was more like the South but it simply is not. It's not New York but New York is a unique place in it of itself just like DC. They had segregation in a lot of cities in the north. A black man being able to buy a house in a white neighborhood was not possible 50 years ago in most cities north or south.

The fact that there was slavery in Maryland and Virginia did indeed play a role in the large black population of DC but there's more to Chocolate City than that. Part of that is the fact it's not so Chocolate anymore due to gentrification pushing a number of folks to Prince Georges county next door. Really and truly black DC is very very unique. The way the letter R is pronounced and I'm still trying to figure out what a bama is. This is all part of what makes DC awesome despite my confusion over bamas.

So yeah still not too convinced we may have to agree to disagree.
Not Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City