Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs DC
Philadelphia 127 48.11%
Washington, D.C. 137 51.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I find it really interesting the OP chose to compare DC to Philly, since DC is a very inique city. I think Baltimore or New York would be better comparisons to Philly. DC vs Boston would be a good comparison as well.
The others yes,but NYC has no comparison.Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
the others yes,but nyc has no comparison.period.
LA can be compared.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:26 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
LA can be compared.
Not hardly.If you think so you should elaborate what you mean.I don't see it personally.
GDP MSA United States
1 New York City USA $ 1133
2 Los Angeles USA $ 639

Old 08-28-2009, 12:58 PM

39 posts, read 155,555 times
grew up in Philly, and haved lived in DC (for 12 years now and counting). it's close, but in the end, I give the nod to Philly. both city has lots and lots going for them but Philly is the sixth largest city yet still feels small enough to get around. DC is a small city (Faifax county, VA is larger) and feels really small on the weekends. Never thought of DC's night life as being anything great - can't see how it compares with Philly (if georgetown is the closest thing to south st. is a not even a contest).

Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goeagles View Post
Never thought of DC's night life as being anything great - can't see how it compares with Philly (if georgetown is the closest thing to south st. is a not even a contest).
I have never actually been out of South Street at night. But, I always thought Adams Morgan or U Street was a closer equivelent to South Street.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM

381 posts, read 814,058 times
Quote:
Never thought of DC's night life as being anything great - can't see how it compares with Philly (if georgetown is the closest thing to south st. is a not even a contest).
Adams Morgan would be #1 in DC, though not for the faint of heart.

Georgetown would be number 2, over a large area so there are dead spots. The single liveliest spot in Georgetown would be Washington Harbor.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
grew up in Philly, and haved lived in DC (for 12 years now and counting). it's close, but in the end, I give the nod to Philly. both city has lots and lots going for them but Philly is the sixth largest city yet still feels small enough to get around. DC is a small city (Faifax county, VA is larger) and feels really small on the weekends. Never thought of DC's night life as being anything great - can't see how it compares with Philly (if georgetown is the closest thing to south st. is a not even a contest).
I disagree. DC may be a small city (about 600K now), but it feels MUCH larger than it really is. Much larger. And I don't think it matters if a whole county is larger than a city. I can name plenty of counties larger than the City of Philly.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I disagree. DC may be a small city (about 600K now), but it feels MUCH larger than it really is. Much larger. And I don't think it matters if a whole county is larger than a city. I can name plenty of counties larger than the City of Philly.
I didnt think Dc felt that big when I was there. It felt medium. Not overwhelming. Honestly the only city I think that is overwhelming is NYC.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:31 PM

330 posts, read 877,816 times
Quote:
You claim that you've lived in DC for 12 years, but based on your description of DC and its nightlife it sounds like you really don't know DC that much at all. Do you really live in DC?????

Old 08-28-2009, 02:34 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
People dont think DC feels "big" because of lack of skyscrapers, that doesn't take from the urbanity and pace of it being one of the fastest cities in America. Downtown DC is much larger than Center City Philly. Honestly when I'm in Philly i normally just feel like this is a bigger Baltimore not overwhelming at all. It still has a good pace to it though just like any Northeast city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City