Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs DC
Philadelphia 127 48.11%
Washington, D.C. 137 51.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM

630 posts, read 994,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Imo the density factor. Where cities like Miami,Houston,Dallas,Atl skylines are 3 miles long and a block or 2 wide. Philly is 3 miles long and a mile wide, with architectural diversity spanning a couple centuries.

Wow, only 8 new tower, not counting the add on Market, in the last 20 years? No significant changes to the city's skyline yet. I also included Buck Apt tower in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM

Houston looks more impressive to me from standing next to the skyline. Philly's looks more deceiviing because most of its towers are old and hidden.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:01 PM

266 posts, read 410,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
It's not dense at all. The skyline is still kind of small to my taste. It needs more growth. I realize the Buck tower is nearly topping off and another building on Market st. getting floors added, but it's not enough. It looks like any other cities in the U.S., just nothing special. I love Pittsburgh skyline since it's prettier and growing. It looks more impressive from the veiwing eyes. Seattle has a good skyline and denser one than this. This just looks average.
I'm not sure what your talking about, Philly's downtown is as dense as any other cities in America. You think it's small yet you like Pittsburgh's? Pittsburgh's is about half or 1/3 the size of Philly's. The reason Philly's skyline may not look as "special" in your eyes is because there aren't as many new big glass buildings but there are a ton of older buildings.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
I'm not sure what your talking about, Philly's downtown is as dense as any other cities in America. You think it's small yet you like Pittsburgh's? Pittsburgh's is about half or 1/3 the size of Philly's. The reason Philly's skyline may not look as "special" in your eyes is because there aren't as many new big glass buildings but there are a ton of older buildings.
Don't feed the troll.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
It's not dense at all. The skyline is still kind of small to my taste. It needs more growth. I realize the Buck tower is nearly topping off and another building on Market st. getting floors added, but it's not enough. It looks like any other cities in the U.S., just nothing special. I love Pittsburgh skyline since it's prettier and growing. It looks more impressive from the veiwing eyes. Seattle has a good skyline and denser one than this. This just looks average.
Not dense at all? Are you high? You do know Philadelphia's skyline is probably triple the size of Pittsburgh's and double the size of Seattle's? Philadelphia has one of the densest skylines in the country... probably third after NYC and Chicago.

You do realize that Philadelphia's skyline is growing MUCH faster than Pittsburghs. Pittsburgh only has one skyscraper under construction and one highrisee currently under construction and 3 highrises planned. Philadelphia has one skyscraper under construction, 3 skyscrapers beginning construction next year and at least 13 skyscrapers planned, proposed or approved. Simultaneously, Philadelphia has 12 highrises under construction and 18 highrises proposed, approved or beginning construction next year... and that is not including several rumors starting to float around in the Philadelphia development world.

You are right though, Pittsburgh is growing and Philadelphia is not...

Philadelphia is also larger and denser than both Pittsburgh and Seattle... Seattle is denser than Philadelphia? HAHA!

While Pittsburgh and Seattle both have absolutely gorgeous skylines, your statements are just completely false.

Seattle
http://www.smackfu.com/photos/pacifi...t/IMG_3357.jpg

Pittsburgh
http://pittsburghskyline.com/images/...ine.com_17.jpg

Philadelphia
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...ia-TRC3452.jpg

As for density... here is each cities most urban area

Seattle
seattle - Google Maps

Pittsburgh
pittsburgh - Google Maps

Philadelphia
philadelphia - Google Maps

Now lets zoom out 5 times to get an aerial view of the area

Seattle
seattle - Google Maps

Pittsburgh
pittsburgh - Google Maps

Philadelphia

It's very clear that Philadelphia is the largest, densest and most urban of the three.... after that it really is pretty close between Seattle and Pittsburgh. Seattle may be slightly larger but Pittsburgh is clearly more urban and denser. All in all, Philadelphia is double the size of Seattle and triple the size of Pittsburgh

Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Wow, only 8 new tower, not counting the add on Market, in the last 20 years? No significant changes to the city's skyline yet. I also included Buck Apt tower in it.

No significant changes in the skyline in the last 20 years??? Did you forget that Comcast Center, Philadelphia's currently tallest building standing at 975 feet, was constructed just four years ago? Forgot about that didn't you?

So you are saying only 8 buildings have been built in Philadelphia in the last 20 years? As in since 1992?

Comcast Center- 60 floors- 975 feet- built 2008
Two Commerce Square- 41 floors- 565 feet- built 1992
Residences at the Ritz-Carlton- 44 floors- 518 feet- built 2009
The St. James- 45 floors- 498 feet- built 2004
The Murano- 42 floors- 475 feet- built 2009
Cira Center- 29 floors- 437 feet- built 2004
10 Rittenhouse Square- 33 floors- 396 feet- built 2009
1706 Rittenhouse- 31 floors- 391 feet- built 2010
Symphony House- 31 floors- 375 feet- built 2007
The Regatta- 29 floors- 329 feet- built 2006
Cityview II Condominiums- 310 feet- 27 floors- built 1995
The Peninsula- 25 floors- 289 feet- built 2006
One Independence Place- 25 floors- 288 feet- built 1996
Two Independence Place- 25 floors- 288 feet- built 1997
Hyatt Regency- 22 floors- 250 feet- built 2000
The Reef- 21 floors- 249 feet- built 2009
Philadelphia Marriot- 23 floors- 242 feet- built 1995
The Residences at Dockside- 16 floors- 222 feet- built 2002
Beaumont Condominiums- 16 floors- built 2005

That's atleast 19 buildings completed in the past 20 years off the top of my head... I double your number. Quit it with the false information already.

On top of that, as I already posted several times, there are at least 20+ highrises/skyscrapers currently under construction or close to construction in Philadelphia.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
That's atleast 19 buildings completed in the past 20 years off the top of my head... I double your number. Quit it with the false information already.
Stop responding to it. You're only making things worse.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Stop responding to it. You're only making things worse.
Haha but it's fun

Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
No significant changes in the skyline in the last 20 years??? Did you forget that Comcast Center, Philadelphia's currently tallest building standing at 975 feet, was constructed just four years ago? Forgot about that didn't you?

So you are saying only 8 buildings have been built in Philadelphia in the last 20 years? As in since 1992?

Comcast Center- 60 floors- 975 feet- built 2008
Two Commerce Square- 41 floors- 565 feet- built 1992
Residences at the Ritz-Carlton- 44 floors- 518 feet- built 2009
The St. James- 45 floors- 498 feet- built 2004
The Murano- 42 floors- 475 feet- built 2009
Cira Center- 29 floors- 437 feet- built 2004
10 Rittenhouse Square- 33 floors- 396 feet- built 2009
1706 Rittenhouse- 31 floors- 391 feet- built 2010
Symphony House- 31 floors- 375 feet- built 2007
The Regatta- 29 floors- 329 feet- built 2006
Cityview II Condominiums- 310 feet- 27 floors- built 1995
The Peninsula- 25 floors- 289 feet- built 2006
One Independence Place- 25 floors- 288 feet- built 1996
Two Independence Place- 25 floors- 288 feet- built 1997
Hyatt Regency- 22 floors- 250 feet- built 2000
The Reef- 21 floors- 249 feet- built 2009
Philadelphia Marriot- 23 floors- 242 feet- built 1995
The Residences at Dockside- 16 floors- 222 feet- built 2002
Beaumont Condominiums- 16 floors- built 2005

On top of that, as I already posted several times, there are at least 20+ highrises/skyscrapers currently under construction or close to construction in Philadelphia.
Please no outside areas like the waterfront, University and others. Only include downtown. Yep, I did include Comcast and the Marriott was before 1992. I stand by what I said 8 or 9 built and that's it.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Not dense at all? Are you high? You do know Philadelphia's skyline is probably triple the size of Pittsburgh's and double the size of Seattle's? Philadelphia has one of the densest skylines in the country... probably third after NYC and Chicago.

You do realize that Philadelphia's skyline is growing MUCH faster than Pittsburghs. Pittsburgh only has one skyscraper under construction and one highrisee currently under construction and 3 highrises planned. Philadelphia has one skyscraper under construction, 3 skyscrapers beginning construction next year and at least 13 skyscrapers planned, proposed or approved. Simultaneously, Philadelphia has 12 highrises under construction and 18 highrises proposed, approved or beginning construction next year... and that is not including several rumors starting to float around in the Philadelphia development world.

You are right though, Pittsburgh is growing and Philadelphia is not...

Philadelphia is also larger and denser than both Pittsburgh and Seattle... Seattle is denser than Philadelphia? HAHA!

While Pittsburgh and Seattle both have absolutely gorgeous skylines, your statements are just completely false.

Seattle
http://www.smackfu.com/photos/pacifi...t/IMG_3357.jpg

Pittsburgh
http://pittsburghskyline.com/images/...ine.com_17.jpg

Philadelphia
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...ia-TRC3452.jpg

As for density... here is each cities most urban area

Seattle
seattle - Google Maps

Pittsburgh
pittsburgh - Google Maps

Philadelphia

Now lets zoom out 5 times to get an aerial view of the area

Seattle
seattle - Google Maps

Pittsburgh
pittsburgh - Google Maps

Philadelphia

It's very clear that Philadelphia is the largest, densest and most urban of the three.... after that it really is pretty close between Seattle and Pittsburgh. Seattle may be slightly larger but Pittsburgh is clearly more urban and denser. All in all, Philadelphia is double the size of Seattle and triple the size of Pittsburgh
Are you trying to be funny? Seattle's is bigger than Philly's downtown. Pittsburgh looks more impressive and you got to include the 3 rivers in the backdrop. LA is denser than Philly's. So, Philly is not the top 3 or 5. It's only average. It needs more growth, not just the Buck Apt tower and the add on floors on Market, along with several hotel suites. I really hope it's real, not just false hope. Remember, the lender call the shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City