Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I know I probably sound like a broken record (sorry), but Houston is so underrated for this. Most people have no idea, or dismiss it for being in Texas.

- Houston is one of only a few US cities with permanent year-round companies in all four disciplines of the performing arts -- ballet, opera, symphony and theater.
- The city's theater district ranks 2nd in size (after that of NYC).
- It has the 4th largest museum district in the country, with nearly 20 museums within walking distance.
- Ranks 3rd in fine arts museum space.
- Ranks 3rd in number of working artists.
- Home of the Art Car parade movement.
- Houses the only intact Byzantine frescoes in the Western Hemisphere.
- Houses the most visited health museum in the country, and one of the most visited natural science museums.
- Houston Grand Opera is the only opera company in the world with Grammy, Tony and Emmy awards.

The only category that could use some improvement? Local music. Note I said local... we get plenty of great touring bands. This recent one made world record for most number of cameras used, and will be their new live DVD (I was there, it rocked!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7IoZp_21gU
I heard this from my music teacher so I'm not sure if it's correct, but I also heard Houston is home to the only Black Orchestra in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,838 times
Overrated:

Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle

Underrated:

Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Houston, Cleveland

Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 10,511 times
Overrated:

Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis

Underrated:

Charlotte, Raleigh

Old 01-06-2010, 03:34 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Ave View Post
Overrated:

Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis

Underrated:

Charlotte, Raleigh
LOL!!

If anything Milwaukee and St. Louis are underrated. Charlotte is okay, but has a way to go and it lacks a music scene. Raleigh with all its publicity is somewhat overrated as the city and its surroundings leave much to be desired. BTW, it's obvious you have some weird obsession with Chicago.

Last edited by BlackOut; 01-06-2010 at 03:45 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
Overrated:
Dallas, Atlanta

Underrated:
Baltimore, Minneapolis, Cleveland, San Diego, Milwaukee

Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
St. Louis is ok, but I think it's still overrated. They had some decent italian food, but I wouldn't say they have an underrated cultural scene.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
St. Louis the St. Louis art/music scene is about what you would expect in a midwestern city. A few "interesting ideas" but most of it is about 5 years behind of what's going on on the coasts, especially in Graphic Design.

The Hip Hop / urban scene appears to be pretty vibrant, but that is not really my taste in music and the neighborhoods where it is happening are not friendly to outsiders.

Theatre people are irritating no matter where you are. Its a good thing there is NOT a large mime population in Saint Louis.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
San Francisco - overrated.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,048 times
I would say that with the exception of New Orleans and Miami, the southern and southwestern cities are all underrated by many people on this forum. A lot of people on here simply refuse to believe that culture exists in the south, which is pretty ridiculous.

I'd also say Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo are very underrated. A lot of people on here seem to forget that despite the problems these cities face, there actually are a lot of cultural amenities in these cities, especially Cleveland.

I'd say San Francisco and Chicago are often overrated by certain people on this forum. They both definitely have incredible cultural scenes, but I think some people on here overrate both their cultural significance over each other and other cities such as Boston and DC. In my opinion, they are pretty much all on the same level.

LA is underrated. Because it may not be as urban as NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco, some people on here forget that the city actually has a great cultural scene.

Cities such as St. Louis, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Rochester, and sometimes even Chicago are underrated because some people on here can't grasp the idea of culture thriving in these former rust belt cities.

New York is overrated by some. There are some on here that seem to believe that it is the end all, be all of culture in America. It may be one of the world's cultural hubs, but it is not the only place in America where you can find world class cultural amenities.

Philadelphia and Baltimore are definitely underrated, since they tend to be overshadowed by DC, Boston, and NYC.

Last edited by jayp1188; 01-07-2010 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 03:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
My question is exactly what do people use to distinguish what makes one cities culture better than another city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City