Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I was in Houston at night, looking for something to do.
Why didnt you go to midtown? Lots of good clubs and bars? Or Westheimer for food? A huge variety of resturants there.

http://www.houstontheaterdistrict.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
If Midtown is the place with the building that looks like the roof of a house, then I was there.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
If Midtown is the place with the building that looks like the roof of a house, then I was there.
What?

Midtown is located just south of Downtown. I'm assuming you stayed downtown because if you did; downtown is pretty dead.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 AM

155 posts, read 196,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What?

Midtown is located just south of Downtown. I'm assuming you stayed downtown because if you did; downtown is pretty dead.
Why is it so dead? I always thought a city that large would be bustling.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
I said downtown is dead; not the city. Houston has 3 main CBDs spreadout around the city.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
WOW, are the streets really that deserted?
Not all of it, there's activity located in the Theater District, Historical District, Discovery Green/Convention Center district, Main St. Square, and during games around Toyota Center & Minute Maid Park, and the City Hall area.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Even NYC has dead spots.. C'mon now.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I found the same thing I always experience when I visit a big city with an open mind...excitement, unique attractions, friendly people, fun nightlife, etc. Houston was no different.

In case you're wondering, I'm not going to sit here and list everything I did in Houston. If you can't understand the unique differences between ANY big U.S. cities then telling you about my trip to Houston certainly won't help you.
So you're unable to distinguish Houston from any other big city with your description of your trips there, but you want me to just blindly accept that you "experienced a completely different city than the one [i] experienced" even though you can't describe how it's different. Well, sounds like you experienced the same thing that I experienced but you somehow found it more exciting. Friendly people, fun nightlife - sure, I found that there. Nothing unique about that.

Excitement? I can find excitement in my own backyard. When I travel, the mark of a good destination is some kind of excitement that is different from what's exciting elsewhere. Of course, you're unable to distinguish what makes Houston's "excitement" any different or more unique than any other city's.

Unique attractions? Every city, town, region, and state has "unique" attractions. Here in my town we have an old Dutch barn and a tiny museum with a few items from the times the Dutch and Indians live here. I wouldn't recommend anyone come here for those unique attractions, however, because they're not that impressive and they would take all of an hour or two to see, even if you took your time. I wouldn't compare my towns unique attractions to the bigger, more impressive and unique attractions of other cities.

Look, it's fine with me that you enjoyed Houston, I'm glad you did. But if you're going to try to suggest that I missed something that you did not miss by your own experiences there, then back it up, otherwise it rings very hollow.

I can tell you very, very easily what makes some of my favorite cities stand out above the others, and I can easily and quickly describe the main attractions that are unique and give each city character. For example, Pike's Market and Mt. Rainier in Seattle, or the wharf and cable cars and Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, or South Beach in Miami, or the bats at the Congress St. bridge and the Barton Spring pool in Austin... What does Houston have like that? So far I have learned from others about a monument which is well outside the city and a bayou (and I am not sure why the bayou would even be interesting).

You, and others, are taking it as if I am lambasting Houston and copping an attitude. When I try to have a dialog, and ask people to explain, many come back with attitude like "If you already hate it I won't talk to you" or "you're closed-minded" or "If you don't understand it then I just won't explain it because no explanation would help you."

Well how do you know any explanation would or wouldn't help me??? I've gotten very few (two, really) and I have not discounted them, although I don't think they're very strong points, they are more than what I knew before so I know that at least there's SOMETHING. But if there's supposedly so much more, so much Houston-style excitement that you experienced, how hard is it to talk about it??? It's not that hard; I get the feeling you are just copping out.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 01-10-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Ok, well here is what stands out in Houston to me.
1)The bayous.. No other city incorporates into its urban fabric versus filling them in and building on top of them.
2)The landscape change from the Southside to the Northside and out to Southwest.. Houston sits on the corner of 3 different geographical region.
3)The variation in architecture and the contrast of old and new. I'm sure it's out there, but I have never seen it on the level as in Houston in cities I've visited.
4)The tunnels

None of this may be necessarily exciting, but it sets Houston apart from other places. The problem is that if you don't know what to look for then you won't look for it.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Ok, well here is what stands out in Houston to me.
1)The bayous.. No other city incorporates into its urban fabric versus filling them in and building on top of them.
2)The landscape change from the Southside to the Northside and out to Southwest.. Houston sits on the corner of 3 different geographical region.
3)The variation in architecture and the contrast of old and new. I'm sure it's out there, but I have never seen it on the level as in Houston in cities I've visited.
4)The tunnels

None of this may be necessarily exciting, but it sets Houston apart from other places. The problem is that if you don't know what to look for then you won't look for it.
bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City