Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Most cities have a standout monument that is historically and culturally significant...I've never really understood why the Arch or the Liberty Bell are considered MORE important than other landmarks. I have to admit that I had never heard of the monument in Houston, but it looks to be just as significant as any other.

I guess it depends on who you ask.
Usually, it's for historic or architectural significant or both. The Arch is an INGENIOUS piece of architecture and engineering (designed by Eero Saarinen one of the greats architects in American history) and the Liberty Bell is very symbolic of the American Revolution. The San Jacinto Monuments doesn't have the architectural or historical significance of the Arch or the Liberty Bell to the rest of the country to be on the same level. It's still a cool place though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
People are jumping on him, but this can only be blamed on Houston which lacks any publicity or media attention. Not many people are informed about what's going on here in Houston. I was born and raised in Texas, but never knew anything about the San Jacinto Monument until I moved here (true story).

I wouldn't of known anything about the theater or museum district if I hadn't of visited them when I use to visit Houston. We should be jumping on the city instead of the visitors here. Only time we get any coverage is when a hurricane blows through or something relating to our hospitals (medical shows mostly).

Old 01-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People are jumping on him, but this can only be blamed on Houston which lacks any publicity or media attention. Not many people are informed about what's going on here in Houston. I was born and raised in Texas, but never knew anything about the San Jacinto Monument until I moved her (true story).

I wouldn't of know anything about the Theater or Museum if I hadn't of visited them when I use to visit Houston. We should be jumping on the city instead of the visitors here. Only time we get any coverage is when a Hurricane blows through or something relating to our hospitals (medical shows mostly).
That's kind of what I've been trying to say. It's not their fault the city and the people are so bad at representing themselves.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:02 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The St. Louis Arch and Liberty Bell are two of the most (if not the most) unique monuments and are strong identifiers of their respective cities.

The San Jacinto memorial, which I didn't know about, is very nice, but it's not a standout as monuments go. It is an obelisk and that is a pretty common type of monument. I don't know anyone (other than those on this forum) who would think of Houston if shown a pic of that obelisk (probably some would even think it's the Washington monument). Even Dallas has the statue of the horses in the water (las colinas??? something like that) which is kind of unique and kind of known.

Again, Houston is certainly a city that isn't lacking in a lot of what big cities offer; it's just that there seems to be few or no standouts in that city that make me remember the place. I remember that there was nothing particular about it other than the weather being prtty extreme.
Monuments don't have to be unique to be important.

Besides, the San Jacinto Monument is uniquely Texas.
Its star on top represents the Lone Star of Texas.
Its the world's tallest monument column. You know the saying.
It was constructed primarily of reinforced concrete, and its exterior faced with Texas limestone from a quarry near the Texas State Capitol.
Near, the base if the monument an inscription tells the story of the birth of Texas.

The last bit:
Quote:
Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican-American War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American Nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty.
Im not saying it's as important, popular, or known as other monuments, but it deserves its spot in history, and not just TX history.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People are jumping on him, but this can only be blamed on Houston which lacks any publicity or media attention. Not many people are informed about what's going on here in Houston. I was born and raised in Texas, but never knew anything about the San Jacinto Monument until I moved here (true story).

I wouldn't of known anything about the theater or museum district if I hadn't of visited them when I use to visit Houston. We should be jumping on the city instead of the visitors here. Only time we get any coverage is when a hurricane blows through or something relating to our hospitals (medical shows mostly).
Ain't that the truth, back in 2006, the monument received only a quarter of a million visitors. Part of that, has to do with its location, but i'd rather much have it in its present location, where it's been able to preserve the battlefield, than having it actually in Houston, where who knows what could've happened to that land if not for its historical protection.

But, we must inform visitors and residents of Houston's offerings at the same time. If we were to inform residents, it would take forever for all of them to stop taking Houston for granted. And all cities have this problem, its just Houston's is worse.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post

It was constructed primarily of reinforced concrete, and its exterior faced with Texas limestone from a quarry near the Texas State Capitol.
Near, the base if the monument an inscription tells the story of the birth of Texas.

The last bit:

Im not saying it's as important, popular, or known as other monuments, but it deserves its spot in history, and not just TX history.
I'm trying to figure out why you're arguing with me when I don't deny any of what you are saying.

The fact remains that, even though the San Jacinto monument is unique, historic, nice, etc. it is not very well known and not associated with Houston in the minds of people (most people don't even know about it). Furthermore, I'm sure it would be nice to see, but there has to be more to the city.

Houston just seems to lack an identifiable character. When I'm there, it's like being in any other mall, restaurant, store, office, etc. in the US, or especially in Texas. Nothing much really tells me I'm in Houston when I'm in Houston.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post

The last bit:

I think location has a lot to do with it. The San Jacinto monument is kind of isolated by itself while the Alamo and the Washington Monument, for example, are in the midst downtown San Antonio and downtown Washington, AND there are a lot of other tourist attraction in the area. The planners and developers just had very little interest in creating a tourist industry which is why the city can be very boring to visit.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out why you're arguing with me when I don't deny any of what you are saying.

The fact remains that, even though the San Jacinto monument is unique, historic, nice, etc. it is not very well known and not associated with Houston in the minds of people (most people don't even know about it). Furthermore, I'm sure it would be nice to see, but there has to be more to the city.

Houston just seems to lack an identifiable character. When I'm there, it's like being in any other mall, restaurant, store, office, etc. in the US, or especially in Texas. Nothing much really tells me I'm in Houston when I'm in Houston.
You know what, you're right, what's the point in discussing, if you wont change your mentality about Houston.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:

Maybe that's the problem...of course if you're in a mall, restaurant, store, or office then you could be in any city in the U.S. I'm sure if you were in a mall in Boston it would feel like a mall in any other U.S. city - wouldn't it?

Just because you haven't been to unique locations in Houston (or any other city) doesn't mean that they don't exist. I've been there and they do exist. The most famous American sites get famous media coverage...I really believe THAT'S why we know them - not because they are better or more interesting than a thousand other sites.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Why should he respect a city that deserves none? I don't see why people are afraid of the truth, it is about time someone threw away the liberal attitude and told it like it is.

1) Miami
2) Las Vegas
3) New Orleans
4) San Francisco
5) Los Angeles
6) San Diego

I do not want to put 10 up because there are no other cities I even like at all in the Sun Belt. I think they are equally a joke. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta who cares.
Whether you care or not, those 3 cities are still pretty popular, as indicated by there growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City