Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Yeah, it's a dumb conversation, but only because you don't know much about Houston. So how can you compare what you don't know?

Houston's main CBD and theater district, the medical district, Montrose, Midtown, the museum district, the Galleria area & Uptown are not in a 38.6 mile stretch from each other. More like 5 or 6 miles at the most!

From what I've seen, the business climate/economy, skyline, and culture/arts of Phoenix is generally not on the same level as these in Houston by any source you look at or way you compare it. You can't give credit where its due, don't seem to know much about it anyway, and instead overreact with this density issue.
LOL, more ridiculousness. 36.8 miles stretch as in a loop, which is STILL 40 square miles! You all are trying to compare all that can be had in Phoenix ONLY downtown with 14,000+ residents in 0.75 square miles of DOWNTOWN, or 200,000+ residents in 5 square miles of central Phoenix to 40 square miles in Houston, LOL. Double
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 04:36 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
And I don't think you know much about the restaurant (more than one, LOL), resort...
Top Ten Restaurant Cities
Wine Spectator and Esquire have also ranked it in the top 5 or 6.

I don't see Phoenix...

Quote:
...but Phoenix does as well including year round performances and shows.
Arts Stats "Houston is one of the few U.S. cities (New York City, Chicago, Seattle and San Francisco are others) that offer world-class, year-round resident companies in all of the major performing arts—symphony, opera, theater, and ballet."

Don't see Phoenix mentioned there either.

Quote:
Houston has many taller skyscrapers but that has NOTHING to do with urbanity and density and walkability. Especially when they empty out and everyone drives to their suburban single family homes after 5pm...
That's all you think happens, and as if Phoenix is dramatically different in this respect?

Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
LOL, more ridiculousness. 36.8 miles stretch as in a loop, which is STILL 40 square miles! You all are trying to compare all that can be had in Phoenix ONLY downtown with 14,000+ residents in 0.75 square miles of DOWNTOWN, or 200,000+ residents in 5 square miles of central Phoenix to 40 square miles in Houston, LOL. Double
With the exception of the beaches, everything AK listed is with in a five or six square mile radius. actually, I think it's less than that. And that's some bad geometry by the way. The circomfrance of a circle does not equal it's area.

Last edited by wpmeads; 02-02-2010 at 04:47 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
40 sq miles? Did you not read the post?

Quote:
Yeah, it's a dumb conversation, but only because you don't know much about Houston. So how can you compare what you don't know?

Houston's main CBD and theater district, the medical district, Montrose, Midtown, the museum district, the Galleria area & Uptown are NOT in a 38.6 mile stretch from each other. More like 5 or 6 miles at the most!
It's not that hard to understand! There's something called Google maps. Try it!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
40 sq miles? Did you not read the post?

It's not that hard to understand! There's something called Google maps. Try it!
There is an 10 mile radius, east to west from one side of the loop to the other, a 8 miles north south radius...so I did do some bad initial geometry as the square mileage of the "inner-loop" is even larger than when I first glanced! LOL! In comparison, the the downtown Phoenix radius would be 0.5 miles! LOL or the 5 square mile Central Phoenix radius...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Houston&state=TX&country=US&latitude=29. 7631&longitude=-95.363098&geocode=CITY

Old 02-02-2010, 05:18 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Oh hey guys! Long time reader, but first time poster since this is just such an interesting discussion you're having!

Anyway, I think I can help settle this. Really!! I recently found about this really cool new site that collects official data about: CITIES! It's just super neat and it seems to have data about density in cities. It's called city-data!

Anyhoo, all this talk about density has made me hungry for pancakes. And knowledge, too! So I was looking at all this talk about a magical 5 square mile in Phoenix with amazing density and thought--hrm---maybe this city-data site has information about density, especially for city snippets of approximately 5 square miles. So I went and I looked up Houston and Phoenix on city-data to see if there was anything like that.

Oh my gosh, there i s! It turns out there's something called a census tract which are roughly around the size of the magical 5. So after looking at the template for the census tracts, I figured out that densities can be of the "high" and "very high" variety! Unfortunately, Phoenix doesn't seem to have the latter. The most it gets is a high. But wait a minute, that Phoenix one covers an area of 6.1 square miles for a density of 10481 people/sq mile while the "very high" Houston one covers an area of 3.2 square miles for a density of 17777 people/sq mile. But wait again, the "high" tract is actually adjacent to the "very high" one and has a density of 9130 people/sq mile over 4.4 sq mile. Average those out and you get a greater density over a larger area for Houston's most populated area over that of a comparable (but smaller) tract for Phoenix.

Oh, but of course that was 2007 so everything's changed since we live in the future, and the US census only undercounts Phoenix so this is all very, very suspect.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:21 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh hey guys! Long time reader, but first time poster since this is just such an interesting discussion you're having!

Anyway, I think I can help settle this. Really!! I recently found about this really cool new site that collects official data about: CITIES! It's just super neat and it seems to have data about density in cities. It's called city-data!

Anyhoo, all this talk about density has made me hungry for pancakes. And knowledge, too! So I was looking at all this talk about a magical 5 square mile in Phoenix with amazing density and thought--hrm---maybe this city-data site has information about density, especially for city snippets of approximately 5 square miles. So I went and I looked up Houston and Phoenix on city-data to see if there was anything like that.

Oh my gosh, there i s! It turns out there's something called a census tract which are roughly around the size of the magical 5. So after looking at the template for the census tracts, I figured out that densities can be of the "high" and "very high" variety! Unfortunately, Phoenix doesn't seem to have the latter. The most it gets is a high. But wait a minute, that Phoenix one covers an area of 6.1 square miles for a density of 10481 people/sq mile while the "very high" Houston one covers an area of 3.2 square miles for a density of 17777 people/sq mile. But wait again, the "high" tract is actually adjacent to the "very high" one and has a density of 9130 people/sq mile over 4.4 sq mile. Average those out and you get a greater density over a larger area for Houston's most populated area over that of a comparable (but smaller) tract for Phoenix.

Oh, but of course that was 2007 so everything's changed since we live in the future, and the US census only undercounts Phoenix so this is all very, very suspect.
Brilliant.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Top Ten Restaurant Cities
Wine Spectator and Esquire have also ranked it in the top 5 or 6.

I don't see Phoenix...
From 2007... The 2009 version doesn't have Phoenix NOR Houston in the top ten but Phoenix is mentioned for best pizza in the nation, best mexican food, best Asian Infusion (Kai - look it up), and on and on...

Quote:
Arts Stats "Houston is one of the few U.S. cities (New York City, Chicago, Seattle and San Francisco are others) that offer world-class, year-round resident companies in all of the major performing arts—symphony, opera, theater, and ballet."

LOL, this is from Houston's own advertising machine. Why would they list a competing city! LOL Here's some info for you:

Greater Phoenix has some of the best museums, art galleries and theaters in the Southwest.
Phoenix Art Museum’s 18,000 works span Rembrandt to Rockwell to Leibowitz, while Heard Museum tells the story of the Southwest’s native peoples through artifacts and art.
Several cultural attractions — Desert Botanical Garden, Taliesin West, Pueblo Grande — have outdoor settings that make the most of our sunny weather. Others, such as the Children’s Museum of Phoenix and Arizona Science Center, focus on hands-on fun.
Like drama? There’s plenty of it in downtown Phoenix, from company-produced plays at Herberger Theatre to avant-garde performances in Roosevelt Row. Arts & Culture : VisitPhoenix.com

Join us on the First Friday of every month from 6-10 p.m. for the nation's largest, self-guided art walk!
Tour more than 70 galleries, venues and art-related spaces to see a variety of artwork and to enjoy the spirit and culture of the city as you mingle with thousands of other residents and visitors. If you'd like to get from place-to-place on one of the free event shuttles, those begin at the First Fridays headquarters at the Phoenix Art Museum,or you can jump on at any of the stops on each route.

Artlink Phoenix

Quote:
That's all you think happens, and as if Phoenix is dramatically different in this respect?
This is about the fact that there is no significant downtown Houston/urban population. Just look at your freeways in Houston compared to Phoenix; we don't even rank in the top 15 for worst traffic despite being the 5th largest city and 12th largest metro. One reason is the close proximity of the URBAN population to the Central Business District.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 02-02-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

LOL, seriously, let's just take city-data "data" over the census bureau. Yes, that way, we can do away with the bureau all together. LOL! Brilliant!

So, lets see, they used a zip code with 60,000 people in east central Phoenix of 6 square miles, divided it and then said this is the density of the highest area. LOL, how about they use census tracts which don't include land that stretches over Camelback Mountain, LOL! No one lives on the preserves but in those zip codes, you'd think they would if you knew anything about Phoenix. And hmmmm, is this Grufton where 70,000-80,000 people in 2-3 square miles in Houston live...LOL (17,777/square mile would equal 53,000 by the way).

Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
From 2007... The 2009 version doesn't have Phoenix NOR Houston in the top ten
Where is the 2009 version?

Quote:
Quote:
LOL, this is from Houston's own advertising machine. Why would they list a competing city!
So... are you saying it's untrue?
You're saying Phoenix offers permanent, year-round companies in all four categories of the performing arts?

You are grasping for straws again. And not making sense. Everything of interest just named in Houston is within a 5 to 6 mile radius. I see this going nowhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City