Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I dunno...a bunch of shots of people waiting for a bus or train, or attending a downtown festival, doesn't really scream urban vitality to me. Aside from the fact that there is a lot of sun in the pictures, a lot of those look like they could be of my hometown of Columbus, Ohio. I'm sure Phoenix has more going on than Columbus, but that's not particularly evident from the pics.
What downtown festival? The Downtown Phoenix Public Market? That is actually a market, with a building and some of their vendors are outside as well. The rest near modified arts, Carly's Bistro, Nine/05 (a downtown club in two buildings, restaurant in one) are not "festivals" either, LOL!

There are 2 shots in those pictures from either First Friday or First Saturday or Third Thursday, don't remember now, but this is just part of the everyday downtown Roosevelt Row museum, gallery, bar, club, restaurant scene. Not a festival. Besides Cinco De Mayo and St. Patty's Day, there aren't too many "downtown festivals" in Phoenix...

I have a feeling that no matter what facts, pictures, or whatever are posted most people for whatever reason (bias, bashing, dislike, ego, city competition, whatever) would say "yeah but..."

NOTICE: I didn't say, "yeah but, those photos of Houston seem to be the same square block on a day something must have been going on..."

EDIT: I wrote Houston's light rail started in 1994 but meant 2004.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 02-03-2010 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Why wouldn't a weekend or evening count? That doesn't make any sense.
In truly urban cities the street life is 7 days a week not just the weekends. It makes perfect sense,don't take it the wrong way,Phoenix just isn't there yet. And I am not trying to bash,honestly,my brother very recently moved from the burbs to DT and I visited when he did,I also visit him a couple times a year so I'm not just grabbing at straws,just saying some of those pictures were not completely representative of every day DT PHX.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
In truly urban cities the street life is 7 days a week not just the weekends. It makes perfect sense,don't take it the wrong way,Phoenix just isn't there yet.
LOL, so because I didn't take pictures of a lunch crowd or commuters Monday-Friday those pictures are somehow irrelevant? Should I now post pictures of those leaving their offices to run errands downtown, or walking to the stations, eating, or walking home!

Sorry, but this is getting ridiculous again. I know I made an idiotic mistake in this thread, and admitted it but some of you have to admit the folly of the "yeah but..." arguments at this point.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
LOL, so because I didn't take pictures of a lunch crowd or commuters Monday-Friday those pictures are somehow irrelevant? Should I now post pictures of those leaving their offices to run errands downtown, or walking to the stations, eating, or walking home!

Sorry, but this is getting ridiculous again. I know I made an idiotic mistake in this thread, and admitted it but some of you have to admit the folly of the "yeah but..." arguments at this point.
Did I say that? I didn't even imply that,you're over irrational defensive attitude for you're city is too much. Urban cities have street life 7 days a week, Phoenix doesn't,no "yeah but's..." It simply hasn't developed that kind of urban core yet,relax.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Did I say that? I didn't even imply that,you're over irrational defensive attitude for you're city is too much. Urban cities have street life 7 days a week, Phoenix doesn't,no "yeah but's..." It simply hasn't developed that kind of urban core yet,relax.
Ah, who's the one who needs to relax. You don't even live here "Golden State of Mind" yet your trying to prove some point against Phoenix (I guess I have to point out I am writing this in a "relaxed" state). And yes, you said that. You said that's not 7 days a week "street life." I said it is...and asked you if someone needed to post pics not only of the weekends and evenings but of Mon-Fri during the day. Obviously that is what you are saying since we have the weekends covered for you it seems.

Also remember, we are talking about Sun Belt Cities here, not NYC, San Fran, nor Chicago which obviously would be ridiculous to compare Phoenix to. It will take a while to build up even half of that here, but this isn't comparing those very unique urban cities to one of ours in the sun belt.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Ah, who's the one who needs to relax. You don't even live here "Golden State of Mind" yet your trying to prove some point against Phoenix (I guess I have to point out I am writing this in a "relaxed" state). And yes, you said that. You said that's not 7 days a week "street life." I said it is...and asked you if someone needed to post pics not only of the weekends and evenings but of Mon-Fri during the day. Obviously that is what you are saying since we have the weekends covered for you it seems.
It's honestly like you are looking for reasons to defend Phoenix. It is not 7 days a week street life,people go out to lunch and run errands in podunk ville,that doesn't make it urban,but forget it. I even stressed I wasn't belittling PHX,I am simply speaking from personal experience,if the city has experienced a complete new boost of urban life in less than 4 months,than forgive me.

Quote:
Also remember, we are talking about Sun Belt Cities here, not NYC, San Fran, nor Chicago which obviously would be ridiculous to compare Phoenix to. It will take a while to build up even half of that here, but this isn't comparing those very unique urban cities to one of ours in the sun belt.
Indeed,which I previously mentioned,it hasn't developed a complete lively urban core yet,In no reference to those cities,really all I was simply saying.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
It's honestly like you are looking for reasons to defend Phoenix. It is not 7 days a week street life,people go out to lunch and run errands in podunk ville,that doesn't make it urban,but forget it. I even stressed I wasn't belittling PHX,I am simply speaking from personal experience,if the city has experienced a complete new boost of urban life in less than 4 months,than forgive me.
Not defending just pointing out the folly. They may have lunch in Podunkville, but it would be a stark difference and so would the evening in which many of those photos are representative of here. So that comparison and statement are ridiculous and "belittling" even if you try to mask your statements.

Quote:
Indeed,which I previously mentioned,it hasn't developed a complete lively urban core yet,In no reference to those cities,really all I was simply saying.
You are contradicting yourself here. I think you are using your "San Fran" standards to compare...by that standard not even Seattle compares and I was there (Seattle) two months ago.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 02-03-2010 at 11:11 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Not defending just pointing out the folly. They may have lunch in Podunkville, but it would be a stark difference and so would the evening in which many of those photos are representative of here. So that comparison and statement are ridiculous and "belittling" even if you try to mask your statements.

You are contradicting yourself here. I think you are using your "San Fran" standards to compare...by that standard not even Seattle compares and I was there (Seattle) two months ago.
They are only belittling if you interpret them that way,there is nothing wrong at all with being a city that's core is still developing and growing,too defensive. And I am not using my "San Fran " standards,my world view is not a distorted one of someone who's never left the city. Seattle is an urban city,with a very alive urban core. Phoenix is on it's way to having that core as well,just maybe not to the same extent.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:05 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Ok, you need to calm down and take your meds....immediately. I don't know what the heck you are talking about above, but it sure as heck ain't Downtown Phoenix..and yes, I've been there. Vibrant? You tell us......

Phoenix, AZ (Downtown) - SkyscraperPage Forum
I like those photos of Phoenix on Skyscraper city. Phoenix looks like a cool place.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
I've been there and it is not. I didn't see any downtown, midtown, uptown neighborhoods that offered urban living in such an "easy" form to find and not at the level that would sustain everything listed in a small area. You said this can be found "in the loop." BUT AGAIN, and by your own admission, the loop is a 90 SQUARE MILE AREA! Again, I'm just talking about ONE area that is 1.5 square miles! I'm ignoring the rest of the small areas of central Phoenix to concentrate on why one IS more urban than the other...that is the point you continue to miss.
If you been to Houston, you'd know that there are areas inside the loop that indeed offer urban living in such an easy form. You did in fact visit uptown. You did in fact visit Montrose. You did in fact see the new urban developments going up in the loop. You did in fact visit newly successful discovery green park and it that has restaurants, an ice rink, a lake, and more activities that has even older cities jealous of it. This was all built on parking lots. Also, east Downtown by the convention center area where there are new shops, residences, a hotel, and office buildings going up and they also were built on parking lots. If you visited Houston, you would know that Houston especially inside the loop offers this. I said the loop because that is what most people in Houston consider the real city part of the city and most consider the area outside 610 suburban area. At least I do. Thats the point you are missing yourself. Oh and I agree with LANative. Neither downtown is urban. Neither city is remarkably urban. They both have a ways to go. But don't act like Phoenix is head over heels more urban than Houston. I don't think it is myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City