Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say any city in the United States is a warzone. I've been to bad areas in Cleveland and Chicago, and bullets weren't flying over my head.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I wouldn't say any city in the United States is a warzone. I've been to bad areas in Cleveland and Chicago, and bullets weren't flying over my head.
Comparetively speaking, of course. But I think warzone is relative to America as a whole, not third world countries.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
the east coast ruled in the 80's and early 90's time s have changed and so have movements of crime
Ruled? In crime? You sound like you're sad that it isn't the crappiest side of the country now. That should actually be a good thing.

And if that is some point of pride for you, then clinging on to the past glory just makes you look like a has-been. I don't know how many times I have to hear someone from the East Coast remind us that crime was really bad there before. WE GET IT.

Crime has been really bad in the Midwest this whole time too, so I don't see in any point in your comment. And New Orleans, Compton and East Palo Alto have all been murder capitols on various years in the 90's (I think Houston might have been at one point too), with CA having more murders than any other state every single year (obviously as there are more people here than any other state). So its not like the East was the only side that had crazy crime; we all have.

If its any consolation, Philly, Camden, DC and Baltimore still all have some of the highest crime in the nation (within the top 25), so I guess that's something you can be happy about. But the Midwest doesn't seem to me to be smiling about its status when it comes to danger. And that's b/c there's really no reason to.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Dighton Kansas is up there..........

Old 09-02-2009, 01:48 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't any East Coast city is 100% dangerous anymore (except Camden), it's the neighborhoods in these "safe cities" that are dangerous, so Its a little difficult to compare certain cities. In my opinion the only dangerous major cities still in existance are New Orleans & Detroit. A lot of the cities on that list could pass for neighborhoods in major cities.
Yeah, Camden seems like its definitely rough on all sides. It doesn't sound like a place I'll ever want to visit. But I think the same could be said about every major city that has high crime. They would no longer be major cities if they didn't have their good parts to go along with the bad. Even N.O. and Detroit (as bad as they are) have decent areas. The bad cities like Cleveland and Oakland have their crime concentrated in certain neighborhoods the same way East Coast cities do, so I think its pretty much the same across the board as far as that goes. Even cities like Chicago as SF have their murders in high concentrations on certain sides of town. But I agree with ya, New Orleans and Detroit probably have more crime widespread over larger portions of their cities than most other cities do. (I'm assuming.)

Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Looks like the Bronx back in the 70s or 80s.
EXACTLY what I was going to say, & I'm from Philly "West Philly" but damm I never seen North Side look so wrecked.
They need to tear down those old raggedy row homes & start from scratch.. Makes me sad.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Ruled? In crime? You sound like you're sad that it isn't the crappiest side of the country now. That should actually be a good thing.

And if that is some point of pride for you, then clinging on to the past glory just makes you look like a has-been. I don't know how many times I have to hear someone from the East Coast remind us that crime was really bad there before. WE GET IT.

Crime has been really bad in the Midwest this whole time too, so I don't see in any point in your comment. And New Orleans, Compton and East Palo Alto have all been murder capitols on various years in the 90's (I think Houston might have been at one point too), with CA having more murders than any other state every single year (obviously as there are more people here than any other state). So its not like the East was the only side that had crazy crime; we all have.

If its any consolation, Philly, Camden, DC and Baltimore still all have some of the highest crime in the nation (within the top 25), so I guess that's something you can be happy about. But the Midwest doesn't seem to me to be smiling about its status when it comes to danger. And that's b/c there's really no reason to.
exactly! Some East coasters take so much pride in having cities that had the highest crime rates in the 80's and 90's...but they didn't even have a monopoly on it, like they think. Yes there's Baltimore, Camden, Newark, etc...but Cities like Miami, Detroit, Compton, Richmond, CA, Chicago, and plenty of other cities not on the east coast had crime rates surpassing NYC, and many of the other high crime east coast cities. And Philly? Philly actually had a somewhat low violent crime rate up until the mid 90's, compared to most other big cities in the US. For example, SF had a higher violent crime rate than Philly from 1985 (farthest back the stats go) through 1996. I'm talking hundreds of point higher, not just slightly higher, until Philly's crime started rising, and SF's started dropping, in the mid/late 90's.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
I'm with those who say this whole convo is stupid. It reminds me of YouTube where white kids in Europe (UK especally) talk about their ****ty little "hoodz" and how great it is to be like the Americans w/ respect to crime.

Anyway, funny story: I was on a subway train rolling trough Brooklyn and asked someone where such and such was, and this guy just looked up at me and was like "You know you're in Brooklyn, right? Cuz you don't look like it" (I look like a Bi-racial steve erkiel), and all I said to him was, "I just was coming up from Philly to check things out". He got real quiet and was like "Oh, Okay".

Up until that point, I didn't even know Philly was considered "Real" or "Hood".

Old 09-02-2009, 08:06 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Comparetively speaking, of course. But I think warzone is relative to America as a whole, not third world countries.
Oh I get what your saying now. Yeah for the United States Cleveland is pretty bad. I hear the old neighborhood I use to live by North Collinwood is getting worse. It was bad when I lived over there by Euclid, we constantly had robberies happening. And thats always considered one of the safer neighborhoods in Cleveland.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,934 times
No one city stands out to me but as far as small towns I was struck by how awful the ones in West Virginia looked. Beautiful state, wonderful, down-to-earth people but terrible, impovershed little towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City