Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I hope the air freshener does not smell like a bass
LOL No, it smells like a "waterfall" LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:50 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
just because a person has a career it does not dismiss them from being a redneck

i met a guy (sisters friend) who hunts, watches nascar, sounds like a hick when he speaks, etc.......... every indication of being a redneck

and the damn guy is a pharmacist. just because you have a college degree and own a medium priced house it does not disqualify someone from being a redneck
Sooo.... Someone's preferences and accent make them a redneck? I know for you political leaning has nothing to do with your prejudice because you have stated yourself that you are Republican. If someone likes Nascar as opposed to whatever you like, that automatically makes them a stupid redneck? If someone has a heavy accent as opposed to whatever accent you have makes them a stupid redneck? (Even if your accent is neutral, it's still an accent.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Please, I've spent over 20 years in the south, and about 8 years elsewhere, I know the difference. Again, I am referring to majorities...
There are cool people everywhere, and stupid people everywhere... some places just have more of them on different sides of the pendulum...
Hell, I have them in my own family... family reunions on one side in good ol dothan, enterprise and ozark alabama! I've seen my share.
I realize your definition is more directed toward the people being non-progressive. Progressiveness is not their best trait to say the least, but some of the most accepting people I have ever met have been from the deep South. It doesn't matter what race, sexual orientation, belief, or lifestyle you have, they will gladly befriend you an take you in even if they don't understand or agree with everything you do.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Sooo.... Someone's preferences and accent make them a redneck? I know for you political leaning has nothing to do with your prejudice because you have stated yourself that you are Republican. If someone likes Nascar as opposed to whatever you like, that automatically makes them a stupid redneck? If someone has a heavy accent as opposed to whatever accent you have makes them a stupid redneck? (Even if your accent is neutral, it's still an accent.)

I realize your definition is more directed toward the people being non-progressive. Progressiveness is not their best trait to say the least, but some of the most accepting people I have ever met have been from the deep South. It doesn't matter what race, sexual orientation, belief, or lifestyle you have, they will gladly befriend you an take you in even if they don't understand or agree with everything you do.
Great post!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
This is directed to spade who is in SAN DIEGO and LInative who is in Long Island

I have experience Philly, Dallas and Phoenix before moving to SC

Why dont the two of you pack up from San Diego and Long Island and experience Huntsville Alabama, Baton Rouge Louisiania or any other small town in the deep south?

Once you do that and live in the deep south for a couple of years then shoot me a email and let me know how it turned out

You would not be singing the same tune after you experienced it for yourself
Where are you getting this San Diego thing from? I grew up in Texas and never been to San Diego. I currently live in the Washington DC area.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Just as with the pick up trucks...what does hunting have to do with being a redneck? There are plenty of people who hunt that aren't rednecks.

But this discussion is going to go in circles seeing as it's not one that either of us can really win.

Well, I'd say a majority of people who hunt are rednecks/hicks. But my dad's an exception. He's from NYC and used to go upstate to go hunting. I don't think he ever took his friends from the city or Long Island. I believe he mostly met up with former veterans of his who lived upstate.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 PM

This is a funny video. Have you guys ever seen some of this stuff down where you are?

YouTube - You Might Be A Red Neck If......

Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Where are you getting this San Diego thing from? I grew up in Texas and never been to San Diego. I currently live in the Washington DC area.
i dont know?

maybe i was looking at someone that was from san diego... sorry

Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post

EVERYONE that watches nascar is not a redneck. However, the majority of the people that watch nascar are rednecks

I can not believe that i am trying to explain this..... it is pointless.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
This is a funny video. Have you guys ever seen some of this stuff down where you are?

YouTube - You Might Be A Red Neck If......
i see the trailers on a regular basis

most average middle class houses are mixed in with trailers here....... no zoning

Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
EVERYONE that watches nascar is not a redneck. However, the majority of the people that watch nascar are rednecks

I can not believe that i am trying to explain this..... it is pointless.

I know of 2 people who watch Nascar. One is a redneck from small town Maine, the other is actually a very wealthy friend who grew up on Long Island and owns a condo Battery Park City (lower Manhattan). She said she's redneck at heart and wants to move to NC sooooo bad. Is obsessed with Nascar and loves the typical cowboy, strong southern accents, etc. I told her she doesn't belong in NYC if that's what she's looking for, lol. She keeps trying to find bars that have bull riding and nascar, but none seem to, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City