Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:37 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..are false; the only one that I would qualify is the "diversity" statement. I do believe that, until the last generation, the South as a whole was probably less diverse than most Northern cities. Much of the South consisted largely of Anglo-Saxon white Protestants, along with African-Americans. The waves of immigrants from Europe (Ireland, Italy, Germany, Poland, Scandinavia, other Slavic states) largely bypassed the South, and settled in Northeastern and Midwestern cities.Hence, the reason you generally don't find many Little Italys in the South.This is changing, however, and quite rapidly, because of increased mobility, and it's especially evident in such places as Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, Virginia, and any number of Texan cities. So I do believe that Northern cities had the edge for several generations, but it's rapidly disappearing.
With all due respect, diversity among European populations (which I do love about NY and other cities) is still not as diverse as two major races from different continents living among each other. The result for American music alone is well known. Please remember most counties in the world are not as diverse as either our North or our South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
My post was in response to the NONSENSE you posted that the South has no diversity or culture. Please, without trying to change the subject to living in Huntsville or Baton Rouge, explain to us how the Southern states are not diverse?
You read my north vs south thread post and just read the one above

I am not trying to be rude but i really do not know any other way to explain it.

the best way to learn that what i am saying is true is for you to experience it for youself

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I believe the two that are in bold are true

I am not saying that every city/town in the south lacks culture and diversity. I am saying as a whole that the south lacks diversity and culture.

I live in Columbia SC. Everyone that lives here if from this area and believe it is the best thing since sliced bread. Noone wants to move or even travel anywhere else for that matter

EX) My uncle, who is from Charleston SC and has NEVER lived anywhere else went to NYC for a business trip with his company. He did his business each day and then went back to his hotel room and just sat there. He did not even want to experience NYC.

Everyone that lives where I live is from a small town in the deep south. These people have been exposed to NOTHING and it is really sad.

You and all the other posters STILL are not listening to what everyone is saying. Places like Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa and Charlotte are not like that.

It is the rural DEEP south that is the way described above.

These are the places where you can see bubba with a mullet who flies his rebel flag on his pick up truck that is covered in dirt from muddin

Do you see the difference between the new south and deep south?
Well you would be wrong (even though you excluded the larger cities)...Southern culture is culture. Whether you like it or not it is culture, just like sav said. Small town culture is STILL culture. It's just different. Move to NYC, you'll see a lot of different cultures you're not interested in.

Also, the South is the most populous region in this country, so I'm not seeing how it could not be diverse.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..are false; the only one that I would qualify is the "diversity" statement. I do believe that, until the last generation, the South as a whole was probably less diverse than most Northern cities. Much of the South consisted largely of Anglo-Saxon white Protestants, along with African-Americans. The waves of immigrants from Europe (Ireland, Italy, Germany, Poland, Scandinavia, other Slavic states) largely bypassed the South, and settled in Northeastern and Midwestern cities.Hence, the reason you generally don't find many Little Italys in the South.This is changing, however, and quite rapidly, because of increased mobility, and it's especially evident in such places as Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, Virginia, and any number of Texan cities. So I do believe that Northern cities had the edge for several generations, but it's rapidly disappearing.
I'd disagree with that to an extent. The South, particularly Texas which I'm most familiar with, did receive many of these immigrant groups, just not in as great a number as the north, and these immigrants weren't corralled into tenements like they were in the North. They assimilated, and because of the built environment, the south doesn't have the ethnic neighborhoods that persist to the current day like in northern cities. The cultural influence of these groups is still present, however, if you know where to look. You would probably be surprised at some of the surnames common in the small Texas town where I grew up.

Not directing this at anyone in particular, but I find these threads somewhat frustrating. There's usually a real lack of awareness of Southern history displayed in them. To assert that the South (a region with a lot of diversity in itself, contrary to popular belief) has no history outside of slavery and the Civil War, and no culture other than the redneck variety... yeah, um, okay. It's a pretty big chunk of America and an important part of American history, and it's sad that there is so much ignorance about it.

Last edited by houstoner; 04-15-2009 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: adding a paragraph

Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
I believe the two that are in bold are true

I am not saying that every city/town in the south lacks culture and diversity. I am saying as a whole that the south lacks diversity and culture.

I live in Columbia SC. Everyone that lives here if from this area and believe it is the best thing since sliced bread. Noone wants to move or even travel anywhere else for that matter

EX) My uncle, who is from Charleston SC and has NEVER lived anywhere else went to NYC for a business trip with his company. He did his business each day and then went back to his hotel room and just sat there. He did not even want to experience NYC.

Everyone that lives where I live is from a small town in the deep south. These people have been exposed to NOTHING and it is really sad.

You and all the other posters STILL are not listening to what everyone is saying. Places like Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa and Charlotte are not like that.

It is the rural DEEP south that is the way described above.

These are the places where you can see bubba with a mullet who flies his rebel flag on his pick up truck that is covered in dirt from muddin

Do you see the difference between the new south and deep south?
I listen to what you are saying and trust me, I do appreciate you not including Austin and the other Texas cities in that group as well as Atlanta and Charlotte. But I still have family and friends all over the rest of the south in those "hick towns". Very nice and intelligent people who don't fit the stereotypes people have about the small town south. And as far as i'm concerned it's a thing where if you talk about one of us you talk about all of us.

And what do you consider culture? Because from my point of view the south has more culture than the north. Almost every major form of American Music was originated in the South. Rock, Country, Blues, Jazz, Ragtime, Gospel. The only major form of music that really developed in the North is Hip-Hop. And even then a lot of the early music was sampled and influenced from older black genres that started in the south plus the reggae aspect. There are plenty of forms of southern cooking that originated and was developed right here in the South. Barbecue, Soul Food, Cajun. Sure the north might have more options but that is because of the massive immigration that has taken place there. A lot of that stuff wasn't developed in the North and doesn't have its roots in that region.

Lastly, just in my opinion the people in the south seem to be much more fun to be around. And not all those stereotypical rednecks. The south is more than that. But to me there is nothing like meeting someone that has that southern charm about them. There is nothing like knowing someone that actually still cooks a homecooked meal a majority of the time.

BTW what if he didn't want to experience NYC? What if the people in Columbia haven't been exposed to anyting else? The thing most northerners criticize the south for you are during yourself. Where is that non-judgemental live and let live attitude the north champions so much? Those are no reasons to judge a person. That's no better than people down here judging someone because they aren't religious.

Both places have things that I like and I think it's important that this country has both of them. But to me the north's culture seems more based on amenities while the south's culture seems based on the people.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 04-15-2009 at 11:38 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 PM

Seriously, nearly 24 hours and no response?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I listen to what you are saying and trust me, I do appreciate you not including Austin and the other Texas cities in that group as well as Atlanta and Charlotte. But I still have family and friends all over the rest of the south in those "hick towns". Very nice and intelligent people who don't fit the stereotypes people have about the small town south. And as far as i'm concerned it's a thing where if you talk about one of us you talk about all of us.

And what do you consider culture? Because from my point of view the south has more culture than the north. Almost every major form of American Music was originated in the South. Rock, Country, Blues, Jazz, Ragtime, Gospel. The only major form of music that really developed in the North is Hip-Hop. And even then a lot of the early music was sampled and influenced from older black genres that started in the south plus the reggae aspect. There are plenty of forms of southern cooking that originated and was developed right here in the South. Barbecue, Soul Food, Cajun. Sure the north might have more options but that is because of the massive immigration that has taken place there. A lot of that stuff wasn't developed in the North and doesn't have its roots in that region.

Lastly, just in my opinion the people in the south seem to be much more fun to be around. And not all those stereotypical rednecks. The south is more than that. But to me there is nothing like meeting someone that has that southern charm about them. There is nothing like knowing someone that actually still cooks a homecooked meal a majority of the time.

BTW what if he didn't want to experience NYC? What if the people in Columbia haven't been exposed to anyting else? The thing most northerners criticize the south for you are during yourself. Where is that non-judgemental live and let live attitude the north champions so much? Those are no reasons to judge a person. That's no better than people down here judging someone because they aren't religious.

Both places have things that I like and I think it's important that this country has both of them. But to me the north's culture seems more based on amenities while the south's culture seems based on the people.
Every single person that lives in the deep south is not a redneck. However, I guarantee you that any place that you go the rednecks will outnumber the normal people

If you think the south seems more fun than the north..... then why has the south lost every single poll in the history of citydata?

Since, southerners consider everyone that is not from the south a "yankee" then it is 36 states against 14. I have lived in Phoenix, Dallas and Philly then moved to SC.

I get asked everyday if I am a yankee. It is not in a nice way either.

There is a reason to judge a person when they lock themselves in the town they were born and NEVER leave. That is just flat out WEIRD!!

And it is more than NYC with my uncle. It is everyhwere. Atlanta, Charlotte and anything that you can think of. The people here are nuts

In the end it really cracks me up. You asked everyone to talk about the differences and explain why the south lacks in areas then you bite my head off when I give you a answer.

I dont want to be rude just honest...... If you dont want to hear the answer then dont ask the question

Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Every single person that lives in the deep south is not a redneck. However, I guarantee you that any place that you go the rednecks will outnumber the normal people

If you think the south seems more fun than the north..... then why has the south lost every single poll in the history of citydata?

Since, southerners consider everyone that is not from the south a "yankee" then it is 36 states against 14. I have lived in Phoenix, Dallas and Philly then moved to SC and I get asked everyday if I am a yankee. It is not in a nice way either.

There is a reason to judge a person when they lock themselves in the town they were born and NEVER leave. That is just flat out WEIRD!!

And it is more than NYC with my uncle. It is everyhwere. Atlanta, Charlotte and anything that you can think of. The people here are nuts

In the end it really cracks me up. You asked everyone to talk about the differences and explain why the south lacks in areas then you bite my head off when I give you a answer.

If you dont want to hear the answer then dont ask the question
The whole point of this thread was to hear your exact reasoning so I could respond to it. You haven't told me anything I wasn't prepared to hear.

As far as polls go...who cares what a bunch of people on the internet think? The southerners on this forum are outnumbered and the rest of the country has negative connotations of the south thanks to exagerated depictions in the media.These polls don't stop the northerners coming here in droves from coming. I see atleast 7 new york liscense plates every week and 20 cali liscense plates per week. Hell my dad's side of the family is from Brooklyn. He was based here in Austin when he was in the Air Force in the 80s and he never left. He eventually convinced half the family back in Brooklyn to move down here. They all talk about how friendly everybody was and how different it was from New York. He also says that in his opinion New York City was more racist than Austin is. So that's for everybody that screams the south is so racist and the north is so tolerant(In case you were wondering my dad side of the family is west indian...Barbados to be exact).

As far as people locking themselves in their town goes...it is still their choice. If they want to stay in their hometown and not ever leave that's their right. As long as they aren't bothering anybody. If you want to judge then judge. But don't turn around and say how closed minded the south is when northerners seem to be just as close minded and judgemental.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The whole point of this thread was to hear your exact reasoning so I could respond to it. You haven't told me anything I wasn't prepared to hear.

As far as polls go...who cares what a bunch of people on the internet think? The southerners on this forum are outnumbered and the rest of the country has negative connotations of the south thanks to exagerated depictions in the media.These polls don't stop the northerners coming here in droves from coming. I see atleast 7 new york liscense plates every week and 20 cali liscense plates per week. Hell my dad's side of the family is from Brooklyn. He was based here in Austin when he was in the Air Force in the 80s and he never left. He eventually convinced half the family back in Brooklyn to move down here. They all talk about how friendly everybody was and how different it was from New York. He also says that in his opinion New York City was more racist than Austin is. So that's for everybody that screams the south is so racist and the north is so tolerant(In case you were wondering my dad side of the family is west indian...Barbados to be exact).

As far as people locking themselves in their town goes...it is still their choice. If they want to stay in their hometown and not ever leave that's their right. As long as they aren't bothering anybody. If you want to judge then judge. But don't turn around and say how closed minded the south is when northerners seem to be just as close minded and judgemental.
But, that is my point. The southerners create threads asking our opinions and then get mad when we give them.

Did you see the person that created the north vs south thread? He is from FL!!!!

Of course the southerners are outnumbered. But, it is not by the northerners. That is probably about 50/50. They are outnumbered when every person on the west coast votes for the north. That is my point of telling you my story about me living in all regions in the U.S., but still being classified as a yankee in SC. Southerners think of yankee as a put down. And for them to call me that I just want to b**** SLAP them right across their face.

I feel like saying no "I am not a yankee. I just did not grow up surrounded by rednecks and trailer parks like you did". That was not directed towards you but the rednecks in SC that ask me if i am a yankee

If they want to lock themselves in their town then let them do it. But, the people put you down when they find out you dont want to lock youself in the town like they do.

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-16-2009 at 08:46 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
With all due respect, diversity among European populations (which I do love about NY and other cities) is still not as diverse as two major races from different continents living among each other. The result for American music alone is well known. Please remember most counties in the world are not as diverse as either our North or our South.
\Come to the south outside of those big cities though...For instance, night life. Certainly it is worse in smaller places where clubs are ALL black and ALL white. I'm talking not a SINGLE black person in the entire place, but the city is 40-50% black. Vice versa... still many prominent black colleges (w/ a few minority white on scholarship) in the south too...
I'm serious btw.

NYC, u just got at the problem... the rednecks OUTNUMBER the normal people in any city outside of most of the big ones. this is the issue.

the dominant in most of the south are only 2 groups outside of the big cities, hate to be so blunt, but feel I have to, religious right wing whites (some southern, some rednecks), low income blacks.

BTW when I post I am mostly referring to the following area on the map... as I travel around it quite frequently. ..too frequently, it is more or less the same allover.

inside this zone, pretty much everybody living there, have not traveled out of it EVER... and think it is greatest thing on the planet. yes there are ones that have, but I am talking majority here, people u work with, see grocery shopping, at malls, driving around... is the ones that are stereotyped.
Attached Thumbnails
Question for Northerners-area.jpg  

Last edited by grapico; 04-16-2009 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City