Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,353,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I'm not saying "get rid of the people" I'm just saying MOST northerners who move south are the older people (40s and up).. read my post accurately before you make false judgements
When i mean older i don't necessarily mean old as in retirement age and up.. I said older meaning mid aged and the elderly (not that i'm saying mid aged is old, but it's not the 20s and 30s.)

Well what i was getting at was more older and mid age people move south from the north... Because i know many young people move to the south but you can say the same in the North because of the colleges colleges, NYC opportunities, or just a change in lifestyle. (NYC these days is made up of a lot of people from around the country and world)
But good move! hah, i do hear Texas girls are some of the best in the country
And I seriously don't want to make it seem like i'm bashing the south because i really have no reason to hate it.. i'm just stating some facts about the reasoning of the south rapidly growng without mentioning the weather being more mild.

OK... a lot of young southners moved to the NYC Metro and a lot of top notch university towns in the north but when it comes to older southners moving north, it's just not common.

So in all reality, the young population scatters and moves all over this country to explore and see what else is out there and maybe find golden oppurtunities. (hense why teens from everywhere complain about where they live and how they want to get the hell out, and some act on it)

Most of the northern tranplants in the south are the mid age to elderly population.. I'm not saying there's not young people moving south, because you can say a lot of young people are moving to anyREGION, USA from all over because of colleges and jobs and be 100% correct.

I mean when you think about the old people in FL they all seem to be from NY/NJ/New England or OH/MI/Midwest
Same goes for parts of NC, SC, and GA (But these states still has a lot more natives when compared to FL)
i really think this is out of gas.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,480,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Whys is their so much anger towards Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and Atlanta and the south in general? These three metro areas are the fastest growing in the nation. What I have found is the nation hates on these metro areas because they have prospered and seen tremendously growth over the last 15 years. Many northerners are heading south because the new south offers quality jobs, more bang for your buck, and a warm climate. If the truth be told many jobs from northern and western cities are relocating to these southern cities. Also northern cities population are either stagnate or on decline. Maybe the north instead of hating and criticizing the south should figure out why their residents are leaving for the south. People are not heading south for their good health. I would rather live in the Sun Belt than the Rusty old stagante Rust belt.
You need to learn proper English.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:21 AM

20,531 posts, read 33,644,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
it is my opinion. there is nothing that you can say to convince me otherwise.

i think the majority of the people that move to the south are for retirement

So, I will say that you are wrong
So don't try to bring it out as a fact like you did before. Unless you find statistics that prove otherwise, then our opinions on this subject are basically worthless to the conversation. I know I have met numerous 20 somethings and 30 somethings that moved to the South.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 AM

8,655 posts, read 10,199,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
exactly...I think if anything, more people in Houston are jealous of NYC than vice versa.

And sweetclimber's mock of a NY accent wasn't even close...lol. I think more people desire a NY accent than southern accent.
Rachael,

What makes you think people are jealous of NYC at all? I personally love the place when I've visited, but I've loved many places. Am I jealous? Absolutely not. I also think that the majority of people really could care less about the type of accent they have. Is that really important?

Like I've stated before, you take away all of the luxuries that a city can offer, and you are left with what really makes a city - it's people. The people out West, NW, SW, SE, Midwest have just as much to offer as people from New York could. I would hate to feel boxed in to just dealing with New Yorkers on a daily basis in my life (not that there is anything wrong with them).

People have so many misconceptions about other places, and if you try to box yourself into believing that there is only one place for you, you'll never thoroughly be able to co-exist in other places with other people. You can't predict the future, and you may find yourself one day needing to be in a different place.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,286,769 times
Quote:
exactly...I think if anything, more people in Houston are jealous of NYC than vice versa.

And sweetclimber's mock of a NY accent wasn't even close...lol. I think more people desire a NY accent than southern accent.
Jealous??? Why would we be jealous?? Do you know how many people have the type of income to move to NYC, but instead stay in where they are???

The fact that about 8 million other people like you live there is what keeps us away; People come to Texas for the cities, culture, and people. People go to NYC for the city and culture,that's it. I'd honestly be happy to rank NYC as the best city in america, but when annoying and ignorant people like you live there, it takes alot away from the city.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,982,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Rachael,

What makes you think people are jealous of NYC at all? I personally love the place when I've visited, but I've loved many places. Am I jealous? Absolutely not. I also think that the majority of people really could care less about the type of accent they have. Is that really important?

Like I've stated before, you take away all of the luxuries that a city can offer, and you are left with what really makes a city - it's people. The people out West, NW, SW, SE, Midwest have just as much to offer as people from New York could. I would hate to feel boxed in to just dealing with New Yorkers on a daily basis in my life (not that there is anything wrong with them).

People have so many misconceptions about other places, and if you try to box yourself into believing that there is only one place for you, you'll never thoroughly be able to co-exist in other places with other people. You can't predict the future, and you may find yourself one day needing to be in a different place.

Well then I guess you never saw my other posts about Las Vegas and CA. I love it out there. I was going to move to Las Vegas until I learned that teachers really struggle financially out there. So we stayed.

I don't know, my parents live in south Florida, and my dad says that out of all the people he's met from all different states (tons in south Florida, plus he travels for business all the time), he can never have the conversations with them like he does with NYers. Like about different things, such as broadway shows.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM

8,655 posts, read 10,199,966 times
Quote:
Well then I guess you never saw my other posts about Las Vegas and CA. I love it out there. I was going to move to Las Vegas until I learned that teachers really struggle financially out there. So we stayed.

I don't know, my parents live in south Florida, and my dad says that out of all the people he's met from all different states (tons in south Florida, plus he travels for business all the time), he can never have the conversations with them like he does with NYers. Like about different things, such as broadway shows.
Well, my ex of 5 yrs (we are best friends) is from New York, and I think that he is also that way, but he also places expectations on people when it comes to conversing with them instead of just being an active listener and having a normal conversation that relates to what that person knows/understands as well. It's almost annoying, but it's part of his personality, so you take the good and the bad.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,120,049 times
I thought most people in Florida, especially South Florida are from the NE? Am I wrong on that?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Jealous??? Why would we be jealous?? Do you know how many people have the type of income to move to NYC, but instead stay in where they are???

The fact that about 8 million other people like you live there is what keeps us away; People come to Texas for the cities, culture, and people. People go to NYC for the city and culture,that's it. I'd honestly be happy to rank NYC as the best city in america, but when annoying and ignorant people like you live there, it takes alot away from the city.
Ha! I go on this NYC tourist forum, and nearly every entry by a tourist mentions how NYers are the friendliest people they've ever met. Try judging a person when you actually meet them in person.

There have also been a few reviews by people who mention that when they were home, others mentioned how NY is dirty and how they would never want to go there, they see no reason to, etc. When the posters went back home after the trip, those people putting down NYC said, "I would love to live there someday" and mentioned how lucky they were to go to NY. The posters said that the usually the people who put down NYC and say they aren't jealous at all, really are jealous.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I thought most people in Florida, especially South Florida are from the NE? Am I wrong on that?

Not where my parents are. They live in SW Florida, where there are mostly people from the upper midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City