Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,354,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedcorn View Post
Well for starters your "rap" music is destroying the minds of deprived teenage music listeners. Your rednecks resemble sasquatch, your weather is usually humid and if its not so hot then your dealing with a hurricane or tornado. Don't even get me started on your accents, I would rather talk to a retarded paralyzed crack addict from a country ive never heard of. I wouldn't banish my worst enemy to the terrain of the dreaded south. If it werent for my Native American heritage I would be all for nuclear bombing any state below Washington DC. But other then all that you southerners are cool in my book.
another wonderful example ^ above for stem cell research, complete abortion, and/or contraceptive devises.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,354,494 times
Default couch pot...ta..to

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How come any comments on the south about race on this board have to be turned into some homer defense by appeal to motive or cherry picking...
Again, racism is everywhere, but imho it is clearly more out in the open in the south and there are different social norms on what can and can not be said in the regions.
There is nothing more clear I can get this to besides actually doing research that has already been done, it isn't simply anecdotal evidence, and if 20+ years of anecdotal evidence have came to the same conclusion I must just be stupid as well as my girlfriend and all of my friends who have experienced and noticed the same things. People from one region just don't notice the differences as much because they aren't looking for them and see it as normal. They are already assimilated into that culture. The people from big city north living in small town south are the minority posters and highly correlate with the exact same opinions, not the other way around with people from there saying "oh it isn't so." I was just having this conversation with my professor today who has a PhD in philosophy of gender and he also agrees with me...if you don't get the concept or differences, you just don't get it and that is subjective to what is in your head, it doesn't mean they aren't there. The end.
maybe you should consider assimilating to a psychiatric venue...to work out your obvious and fixiated fears of the southern region...perhaps, your girlfriend could go with you and help you through this process. after 20+ years of previous observation i'm not sure that you are where you should be. just a thought...go some where so that you are happy and can be accepted by the "enlightened and progressive people" you seek. life for you will be much better in this area, and, let's face it, it will be much easier than expecting approximately 82 million folk to change to your view of things...please, go and enjoy your life.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,912,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well I'm saying that knowing about religions doesn't make a person smarter. Some people just don't care for religions and all that. I would much rather be more educated on different cultures around the world than different religions around the world.
It's impossible to be fully versed in a particular culture without having some knowledge of the religious beliefs particular to that culture. They are inseparable.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,692,493 times
Default You don't need 4 walls to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It's impossible to be fully versed in a particular culture without having some knowledge of the religious beliefs particular to that culture. They are inseparable.
Even though I had Comparative Religions in HS, they didn't teach us about Wiccans. We had one boy in class who was that and refused to "pledge to a piece of cloth". I also worked with one woman who was a Jehovah Witness. I loved listening to her talking about her religion and culture. She was a native Haitian. I am now working in a Florida city where there are a large number of Haitian immigrants. I can now use the knowledge I gained from that Haitian woman in NY in the classroom in Florida.

You can search the Net, buy a book, or talk to the individual. Life itself is one big learning experience. It can't all be done in a classroom.

Last edited by TANaples; 04-19-2009 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 04:48 PM

491 posts, read 888,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Wow, talk about stereotypes lol.
I dunno. Stereotype? Pretty well-documented if you ask me. Besides, he made the inclusion that the NYPD wasn't the ONLY corrupt dept. It's not as if he was saying corruption is unique to NYC or any region for that matter. The NYPD, LAPD, Chicago PD, Houston PD, New Orleans, and hundreds of others have long and well-documented histories of being corrupt.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:08 PM

491 posts, read 888,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Yankee here. I have no desire to live in the South. In fact, many of the people that I know in the North who are moving to the South, are southerners returning home. I don't understand how you can claim that the South is somehow a place that we in the North should envy when the reason that this country has been in a free fall is because you people put that village idiot in office...TWICE. You had a chance to redeem yourselves last year, but remained deep RED in overwhelmingly favoring putting the most laughable VP candidate in history (Podunk Palin) a heartbeat from the presidency. The most powerful cities in this country are in the North (NY, Chicago, Philly, Boston, SF, Silicon Valley, and so forth)...and don't you forget it either.

The South remains what it has always been: A haven for those who have more in common with the klan than those who do not, and all marketing no substance. There is no "new" South when every election, this country can count on the region to be painted RED, no matter how pathetic the conservative candidates are or how ineffective the conservative agenda has shown itself to be.

The "new" South...hardly.
Too much TV and too many movies. I've lived in your neck of the woods and seen just as much racism, conservatism, and ignorance as anything you accuse the entire region of the south as being. Your view seems pretty narrow.

It should also be noted that the village idiot you referred to (I'm actually in agreement with you there) is originally from Connecticut and attended Yale.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 04-19-2009 at 05:49 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 05:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,012,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Are not 95% of your posts about fighting stereotypes about the South? So if you understand that alot of stereotypes said about the south are outright dead WRONG, is it not possible the same thing is true about the North?
A HA. That was the WHOLE point about this post. STEREOTYPES. You see how I took one TRUE isolated incident and made it look like it happens everyday in NYC. I was waiting for someone from NYC to call me out about my post, to show you guys the same thing you guys(and when I say you guys im not talking about you) are doing to us. That was the WHOLE point of my post. You got a little offended didnt you?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,012,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Even though I had Comparative Religions in HS, they didn't teach us about Wiccans. We had one boy in class who was that and refused to "pledge to a piece of cloth". I also worked with one woman who was a Jehovah Witness. I loved listening to her talking about her religion and culture. She was a native Haitian. I am now working in a Florida city where there are a large number of Haitian immigrants. I can now use the knowledge I gained from that Haitian woman in NY in the classroom in Florida.

You can search the Net, buy a book, or talk to the individual. Life itself is one big learning experience. It can't all be done in a classroom.
Im Haitian. I was Born in west palm beach. Florida and New york have many haitians. (I know I probably said it a million times on this thread).

Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,581,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
^^^ Religion is one of the most significant aspects of a culture. You can't learn a culture very well without learning the religion.
I'm well traveled and could give a crap less about christian, muslim, or whatever religion it is in those cultures, yet I've still immersed myself in the culture... The south is way more tied to their culture religion wise than the rest of the u.s. and europe... u.s. is WAY more religious than the countries of europe
For instance, my high school reunion is planning to have several church services in between the 3 day reunion events, def not going to that stuff, nor the reunion. I went to a public non religious h.s.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:55 PM

23,563 posts, read 44,268,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm well traveled and could give a crap less about christian, muslim, or whatever religion it is in those cultures... The south is way more tied to their culture religion wise than the rest of the u.s. and europe... u.s. is WAY more religious than the countries of europe
For instance, my high school reunion is planning to have several church services in between the 3 day reunion events, def not going to that stuff, nor the reunion. I went to a public non religious h.s.
I'm not following; is this a judgment? Is the average Southerner inferior because he/she places a higher value on religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City