Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Ummm, because I can get fired? We can't talk about religion here, nor can we use religion to differentiate instruction. All I can do is appreciate their religious views if they're absent for observing a holiday, that's all.
Good response. Credited.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
lol good, glad that's cleared up

Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
AGAIN, this is why we are rude is because of comments like this one.

This is what has happened so far

1. You started a thread and asked northerners for our opinions
2. So northerners gave you their opinions
3. Then you told us that what we said was not true and argued with us rudely.
4. Then grapico and I tried to explain it even further nicely.
5. Now, you are calling us out telling us that we got owned. And you wonder why norhterners are rude? n

It seems to me like you are the one that has instigated everything in this whole thread

You love to add fuel to the fire and start a argument.

When everyone is arguing you can't be found or you try to play the victim.

Then when the argument is over you claim that you won. Sounds like a 2 yr old to me
Can't be found? I'm one of the main ones in here every day owning the close minded northerners. And i've stated the purpose of that thread a million times before. This is the last time. It was to DISCREDIT the stereotypical logic behind your opinions.

And don't try to play the innocent bystander. You northerners have been starting these BS threads and arguments about the south since i've been here. You are just mad because southerners are calling you out on your BS now.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM

269 posts, read 469,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Can't be found? I'm one of the main ones in here every day owning the close minded northerners. And i've stated the purpose of that thread a million times before. This is the last time. It was to DISCREDIT the stereotypical logic behind your opinions.

And don't try to play the innocent bystander. You northerners have been starting these BS threads and arguments about the south since i've been here. You are just mad because southerners are calling you out on your BS now.
He's not a northerner. I'm pretty sure he lived in the NE when he was a toddler. So sad..

Old 04-19-2009, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 17,320 times
I'm a northerner. Lived here my whole life. Go south for business and pleasure. Love it. Most everyone I have run into has been pleasant and enjoyable to be with. I don't write off a whole state or region based on a few people.

Now that I have been nice, will you let me move to your state. The employment ops here are not good.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

You are not doing a good job discrediting the stereotypes of the south. IMO, you have done nothing but confirm them

There is THREE threads in the city vs. city right now that are getting comments. ALL THREE were started by southerners.

And you just joined this site THIS MONTH..... APRIL OF 2009

So it took you all of two weeks to see all of the threads started by northerners bashing the south. Again, who started the thread that we are in right now?

Again, you or know other southerner is calling me out on my bs stereotype. However, you are doing a good job confirming them

Old 04-19-2009, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 17,320 times
Quote:
Ummm, because I can get fired? We can't talk about religion here, nor can we use religion to differentiate instruction. All I can do is appreciate their religious views if they're absent for observing a holiday, that's all.
Now isn't this a shame. All education studies show that a well rounded person is a strong contributor to society and gives the person control of their own life. But we sabotage this process by forcing people at such a young age to compartmentalize learning from religion from family and we wonder why we have problems today.

This would be like a skilled tradesman, an electrician for example, trying to fix a problem but can't ask a question that another skilled tradesman considers their compartment of knowledge. Like why is there a pool of water covering the electric? The electrician may better fix the problem if he understood more of the condition.

Likewise our teachers can better train and educate if they better understood. But you tell me you can't or you will get fired?

So, are satisfied with delivering less than you could? Shouldn't you have the same freedom to maximize your effectiveness?

Old 04-19-2009, 02:13 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Has anyone else noticed that many of the South's most fervent defenders on this board are non-white? If that doesn't blow stereotypes out of the water, I don't know what will.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:15 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
"That’s why we stay here and they (blacks) stay there. We don’t belong there, and they don’t belong here. That’s the bottom line."

"Their music is phat,...But that doesn’t mean we want to chill with them."

"He scowls when reminded that the slang word "phat," as well as his baggy clothing style, originated among blacks."

"the ethnic make-up is approximately 65 percent Italian, 25 percent Jewish, 8 percent Asian, and only 2 percent Black and Hispanic."

These strongly sounds like the sentiment of many whites (and a lot of Asian females) where I go to school. The beauty of it is we get people from every state in the Northeast. And now I am facing the possibility of having to deal with those thoughts AFTER I graduate from college if I stay in this area, especially since it seems like most of the transplants are from the Northeast!

As if you Yankees weren't happy enough w/ ruining nearly all of my college years by preventing me from having a healthy college social life!
these kids are lower-middle class, right? I mean these kids aren't exactly the children of rocket scientists.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
I've gone to Temple with a friend of mine, and have gone to various bar and bat mitzvahs. You don't have to be a certain religion to participate in their rituals. And me teaching has nothing to do with religion. Do I teach at a religious school? No. I don't know about religious because I don't care about them at all. I just don't care to learn about religions. That doesn't make me a smart or dumb person. Surprising that a moderator would say something like that.

Seriously, since when does my teaching degree (in elementary education, mind you) have to do with me knowing about the Mormon religion?
I didn't say it as a moderator.

Seriously, one would hope that a person charged with the education of young children of different backgrounds and living in such a large and racially, ethnically, and religiously diverse city as NYC would know better than to conflate common religious practices with racial discrimination in Alabama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie28 View Post
He said "certain" rituals. Non Mormons are not allowed inside the temple during the marriage ceremony. That is a pretty well known fact.

Maybe you should learn a bit about different religions so that you don't make such off base, insulting remarks on a public forum.
Right. Non-Catholics can't receive Holy Communion and non-Jews can't have an aliyah to the Torah. Those are just two itty-bitty examples off the top of my head.

I know these things, and I'm an atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City