Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 01:33 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,494,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
Then I guess you have missed the numerous posts on City-Data then. The South is still the most hated region of the country.

How can you extend southern hospitality to someone when you are told you talk too slow, ignorant, racist, backwards, inbred...believe me, it's more than just teasing of the accent.

Many people in the south I know actually don't think about the north that much...it's when it's brought up by a transplant or when a snide comment is made.
How can the north extend hospitality to people when we are told we are rude, impatient, too liberal, politics are backwards, told to stay in our own region, etc. It goes both ways

Old 04-19-2009, 01:33 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,976,193 times
I see the northerners are starting to come out of their hidey holes after getting continuously owned over the past couple of pages.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 PM

269 posts, read 469,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've gone to Temple with a friend of mine, and have gone to various bar and bat mitzvahs. You don't have to be a certain religion to participate in their rituals. And me teaching has nothing to do with religion. Do I teach at a religious school? No. I don't know about religious because I don't care about them at all. I just don't care to learn about religions. That doesn't make me a smart or dumb person. Surprising that a moderator would say something like that.

Seriously, since when does my teaching degree (in elementary education, mind you) have to do with me knowing about the Mormon religion?
He said "certain" rituals. Non Mormons are not allowed inside the temple during the marriage ceremony. That is a pretty well known fact.

Maybe you should learn a bit about different religions so that you don't make such off base, insulting remarks on a public forum.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,956,576 times
I learn through time about the different religions based on what backgrounds my students come from. I don't go out of my way to learn about religions since I think it's all rubbish.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:36 PM

806 posts, read 2,961,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
How can the north extend hospitality to people when we are told we are rude, impatient, too liberal, politics are backwards, told to stay in our own region, etc. It goes both ways
Pretty sure no one in this thread has said this?

Are you even from the North? "we are told.." You've mentioned living in SC for over 6 years..

I don't think you'll see this because I pwned you so many times, I'm on your ignore list.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,976,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie28 View Post
He said "certain" rituals. Non Mormons are not allowed inside the temple during the marriage ceremony. That is a pretty well known fact.

Maybe you should learn a bit about different religions so that you don't make such off base, insulting remarks on a public forum.
How dare you question the intellectual capacity of a northerner. Why should we inject facts into the conversation when we have stereotypes and movies to tell us about the world.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 PM

806 posts, read 2,961,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I learn through time about the different religions based on what backgrounds my students come from. I don't go out of my way to learn about religions since I think it's all rubbish.
Religion is a big part of a student's life. Perhaps you could try to be a better teacher and learn about how a student's religious idenity can affect their progress in school, whether they be a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, etc.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,956,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Religion is a big part of a student's life. Perhaps you could try to be a better teacher and learn about how a student's religious idenity can affect their progress in school, whether they be a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, etc.

Ummm, because I can get fired? We can't talk about religion here, nor can we use religion to differentiate instruction. All I can do is appreciate their religious views if they're absent for observing a holiday, that's all.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,494,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I see the northerners are starting to come out of their hidey holes after getting continuously owned over the past couple of pages.
AGAIN, this is why we are rude is because of comments like this one.

This is what has happened so far

1. You started a thread and asked northerners for our opinions
2. So northerners gave you their opinions
3. Then you told us that what we said was not true and argued with us rudely.
4. Then grapico and I tried to explain it even further nicely.
5. Now, you are calling us out telling us that we got owned. And you wonder why norhterners are rude?

It seems to me like you are the one that has instigated everything in this whole thread

You love to add fuel to the fire and start a argument.

When everyone is arguing you can't be found or you try to play the victim.

Then when the argument is over you claim that you won. Sounds like a 2 yr old to me

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-19-2009 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 PM

269 posts, read 469,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
How dare you question the intellectual capacity of a northerner. Why should we inject facts into the conversation when we have stereotypes and movies to tell us about the world.
I'm sorry, you're right. I'll go back to my corner now. Alabama discriminates against non-Mormons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.