Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 04:46 PM

765 posts, read 1,859,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What industries does Chicago dominate?
Manufacturing, high-tech, business & finance, medicine, printing, media, transportation

Chicago has a strong presence in soo many industries, some industries it completely dominates, others not too much, but neverhteless...it does have strong presence. Chicago is just all over the board...while LA lacks one area big time and that is business & finance. There are no powerful financial institutions in LA and not many corporate headquarters. LA is pretty industry dominated with huge port...but no major financial impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 04:48 PM

In fact, LA is a pretty unattractive place for corporations to be headquartered (I forgot why) and thus many of them are branch businesses. I'd like to think that business & finance is a significant chunk of what defines a city's importance.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:52 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Manufacturing, high-tech, business & finance, medicine, printing, media, transportation
Chicago does not 'dominate' any of these industries.

Its more of a regional hub for these industries but it doesnt really 'dominate' the way NY does finance, the way Houston does energy, the way SF does high tech, the way LA does entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your assessment that as a business address, Chicago is above LA. Its a very busy bee-that's for sure.

But outside of business? I don't think so.

Obviously that's my personal opinion.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago does not 'dominate' any of these industries.

Its more of a regional hub for these industries but it doesnt really 'dominate' the way NY does finance, the way Houston does energy, the way SF does high tech, the way LA does entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your assessment that as a business address, Chicago is above LA. Its a very busy bee-that's for sure.

But outside of business? I don't think so.

Obviously that's my personal opinion.
Outside of business, Chicago still makes a very powerful presence. It has the 2nd largest manufacturing sector, one of the largest high-tech work-forces, 3rd largest media market, 4th largest GDP in the world, the center of transportation, and a center for events & fairs. Chicago has a powerful presence with medicine and science...so many national events are held there. Hell, I am majoring in neuroscience and guess where the national neuroscience society hosts annual conferences? You guessed it, Chicago.

Chicago does dominate something very important...commodity trading. It is virtually a world monopoly in that regard and there's so much money being played there.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:05 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Outside of business, Chicago still makes a very powerful presence. It has the 2nd largest manufacturing sector, one of the largest high-tech work-forces, 3rd largest media market, 4th largest GDP in the world, the center of transportation, and a center for events & fairs. Chicago has a powerful presence with medicine and science...so many national events are held there. Hell, I am majoring in neuroscience and guess where the national neuroscience society hosts annual conferences? You guessed it, Chicago.

Chicago does dominate something very important...commodity trading. It is virtually a world monopoly in that regard and there's so much money being played there.
good points.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:08 PM

In fact, New York does NOT dominate finance. London rivals it. Finance is a broad term, specifically New York dominates stock trading, while London has more int'l banks, dominates hedge funds related business and it has a far larger insurance market than NYC, and last but not least, Chicago dominates derivative markets.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Don't get me wrong, I have no clear answer to Los Angeles vs Chicago...it is THE toughest and most mind-wrecking discussion I can ever engage in because really both cities equally qualify for being America's 2nd city. What makes it so hard is that both cities have a completely different image and completely different impacts. Sometimes, it feels just right to put LA in that 2nd place spot because of sheer size, popularity, and for a myriad of other reasons...but then there's Chicago, lesser known, showing staggering statistics that proves it cannot be ignored and demands that spot too. It's tough and I usually defend Chicago because its lesser known and people overlook it so much.

LA vs Chicago is like Cultural/Entertainment vs Business & Finance. How can you compare and how can you approach? It results in never-ending discussions back and forth.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
1 Dallas
2 Houston
3 Austin
4 San Antonio
5 El Paso

Old 09-10-2009, 05:25 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,524 times
LOL, at Chicago! No way!

1. NYC- Business and Finance
2. LA- Pop Culture
3. Washington, DC- Government
4. San Francisco- Tech
5. Houston- Energy

Old 09-10-2009, 05:27 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,524 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I have no clear answer to Los Angeles vs Chicago...it is THE toughest and most mind-wrecking discussion I can ever engage in because really both cities equally qualify for being America's 2nd city.
Riiiight! Pick the 2nd largest city, or pick a random city that's half the size?

And you would agree that Detroit qualifies as a 2nd city too?

Because Detroit is MUCH closer in population to Chicago than Chicago is to LA, yet for some reason you claim Chicago is competitive with LA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City