Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,947,688 times

Advertisements

...some cities have almost completely fallen off the radar when considering America's top cities, especially Detroit. It would have been considered unthinkable if Detroit had not been at least a top 10 city, but since the decline of the auto industry, it has lost quite a bit of its cachet..Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore..all were considered to be much more prominant than they are today.

I guess the most obvious symptom of this would be the spectacular growth of professional sports teams. Until the late fifties, all pro sports leagues consisted exclusively of teams from the Northeast and the Midwest. Suddenly, the Dodgers and the Giants moved to the West Coast, and the first pro franchise in the South was awarded to Dallas in 1960. The Braves moved from Milwaukee to Atlanta in 1966, and the NFL awarded franchises to New Orleans, Atlanta, and Miami. The AFL spread to the Sunbelt, and years later, hockey is being played in TN, TX , GA, FL and NC. THe changes in the postwar-II world have been simply incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,319,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...some cities have almost completely fallen off the radar when considering America's top cities, especially Detroit. It would have been considered unthinkable if Detroit had not been at least a top 10 city, but since the decline of the auto industry, it has lost quite a bit of its cachet..Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore..all were considered to be much more prominant than they are today.

I guess the most obvious symptom of this would be the spectacular growth of professional sports teams. Until the late fifties, all pro sports leagues consisted exclusively of teams from the Northeast and the Midwest. Suddenly, the Dodgers and the Giants moved to the West Coast, and the first pro franchise in the South was awarded to Dallas in 1960. The Braves moved from Milwaukee to Atlanta in 1966, and the NFL awarded franchises to New Orleans, Atlanta, and Miami. The AFL spread to the Sunbelt, and years later, hockey is being played in TN, TX , GA, FL and NC. THe changes in the postwar-II world have been simply incredible.
I agree with you. I think in the early 90s, Detroit could have easily been a solid 5 as some of the others mentioned. Baltimore is a sad story. St. Louis, seems so beautiful in the pictures, but I have heard so many bad stories about it. I really hope they are able to adjust with the times and rebound.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,775,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm not saying Houston doesn't have great hospitals, as I know the medical center in Houston is absolutely enormous. I also know there are some great schools in the Houston area.

Boston being an educational mecca is important to the rest of the country because it attracts the smartest people in the country and planet. Whether you're from Boston, Houston, or Tokyo, Harvard is known as the best college on the planet. These top minds don't usually stay in Boston, but go to other places and do amazing things. Here's a list of some notable people involved with Harvard . I'd say the fact that 8 U.S. Presidents are Harvard grads affects our country, right? Some of the most notable people involved with Harvard are those who never graduated!

MIT's alumni list isn't as impressive, but it's still pretty good

I'm not trying to say other cities are bad because of this, I'm just saying Boston is very good. I think many of you are taking what I'm saying as an attack towards others, which isn't my intention at all.
While Houston has an excellent, centralized healthcare facility that will go along ways in research, I will back you up for Boston's benefit with some data from Money Magazine for best places to retire for healthcare reasons:

Most doctors
Which cities have the most geriatric, cancer and heart doctors?
RankCityGeriatric, cancer and heart doctors per 100,000 population
1Boston, MA448.7
2Atlanta, GA234.4
3Nashville-Davidson, TN215.2
4Denver, CO212.7
5Baltimore, MD211.2
6Indianapolis, IN180.2
7Columbus, OH176.0
8Washington, DC169.1
9Houston, TX166.2
10Charlotte, NC159.6

Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,802,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I'll try to make a case for Philadelphia which gets lost in the shadows of NYC and Washington but it still has some very important characteristics.

1. It was the first capital and arguably the most historic city in the USA
2. First planned city of the USA
3. Home of The First________ "Fill in the blank" in the USA.
4. Currently The 9th largest metro economy in the world(4th largest metro economy in the USA)
5.Home to #5 ranked university(Penn) 30 miles from #2 ranked Princeton.
Philly deserves to be top 5 for sure.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Really.

Among other things:

The fact that LA is the largest manufacturing center in the Western US is not important.

The fact that the LA and Long Beach ports comprise the fifth busiest port in the world, and the most significant port in the Western Hemisphere is not important.

...as well as international trade, aerospace, technology, tourism, etc.
LA is a top city in the nation, arguably #1 or 2, with its only competition being NYC. NYC and LA are in a class of their own.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 AM

Here's my list, and it's based directly on the largest metro areas in the nation:

1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Dallas
5 Philadelphia
6 Houston
7 Miami
8 Washington DC
9 Atlanta
10 Boston

Old 04-21-2009, 10:57 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,369,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
San Jose has a case as being the dominant city of the Bay Area.
I wouldn't go that far. My point is that there isn't extreme dominance from any part, so it's hard to just call any one important while accounting for the goings on 50 miles away (or across the bay).

Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM

173 posts, read 471,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I wouldn't go that far. My point is that there isn't extreme dominance from any part, so it's hard to just call any one important while accounting for the goings on 50 miles away (or across the bay).
I should have been more careful and said "San Francisco Bay Area."

Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,369,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
I should have been more careful and said "San Francisco Bay Area."
Eh, it happens.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:11 AM

173 posts, read 471,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Here's my list, and it's based directly on the largest metro areas in the nation:

1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Dallas
5 Philadelphia
6 Houston
7 Miami
8 Washington DC
9 Atlanta
10 Boston
My test for important a city is: How the nation and world would be effected if a natural disaster completely destroyed the metro area tomorrow. If SF Bay Area left, there'd be pandimonioum in the technological world. The absence of Google in and of itself would affect our daily lives. But it's not in your Top 10. If DC disappeared, there would be far more chaos than if Dallas, Philly, Houston, Miami, Atlanta or Boston left. But it's not in your top five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City