Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM

145 posts, read 687,933 times

Advertisements

idk anchorage has a pretty good oil industry with its pipeline and all >.>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,808,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I have a question for you.

Why would it be hard to concieve that DFW and IAH harness more international O&D than ATL especially since youve proven correctly that Atlanta harnesses more doestic growth while Dallas and Houston harness more international growth (even if alot of it is from Central America)?

And if we are talking about which cities are more international, how do we determine which ones are the most so? I would say by foreign born residents, but Im open to suggestions.

I dont buy that # of consulates make a city more international because they tend to congrigate in one city in a reigion so they can harness benefits from each other. Certain consulates end up in a city where there are virtually no local ties (ie. the Korean Consulate in Houston or the Brazilian consulate in San Francisco).
Its not hard to conceive anything.I never said it was.But many people on here are finding it hard to grasp facts as I have presented.I have made no claims without providing data as to why those claims make sense.Yet people only have "one" truth as if its the only truth they want to hear.I am glad you are not silly enough like some others to use that "consulate claim" as an "rallying cry"

Many people on here are claiming Houston is the most diverse city in the South,even over Miami( jluke65780,and especialy the Houston Posse)).You can tell they are from the same region or have lived their at the same time at some point because they all sound like a walking billboard for the Houston Chamber of Commerce.Just regurgitating facts since 1982.LOL!

Here is one example:Look at these numbers I posted in another thread:
This how you and some other say is a way of telling diversity.
Percentage of foreign born population
Houston-21.3%
Atlanta-12.6%
Miami-36.9%
Dallas-17.7%

But Of those percentages above,listed below are the regions of the world from which those foreign born's origins are located.
Yes they are correct when they say Houston when they say(as you also asked) it is diverse,yet as jluke65780 said that Houston is more diverse than Miami based on this.As you and he can see,this is not true.

Yet as he and some others of argued against each other.I said that because almost 70% of DAL/HOU of the foreign born the roughly 23% for both cities came from basically Latin America,neither in MY opinion(based on the numbers), are not any more than Atlanta.What about the other 4(FOUR)regions populated regions of the world?Oh well that did it!They came from everywhere attacking me as if it was SO outlandish even though the numbers TELL THE WHOLE STORY.

Europe / Asia / Africa / Latin Amer. / Oceania
Atlanta 10.6% - 25.5% - 9.3% - 52.4% - 0.4%
Houston 4.8% - 20.5 - 3.4 - 69.9 - 0.2
Dallas 4.6 - 20.8 - 4.7 - 68.4 - 0.2
Miami 6.9 - 5.0 - 1.0 - 85.1 - 0.1

As you saw Atlanta had more people coming from each region,with the exception of Latin America ,yet because almost 70% of the roughly 23% of total foreign born pop. of which also more than 50% of that 70% are from MEXICO,not even the majority of Latin American Countries than ANY of those cities mentioned.NOT Brazil,Puerto Rico,Argentina,Cuba,or Dominican Republic.MEXICO,more than HALF.Yet they say that is diverse?

Then I hear Houston and there supporters say:"Well we have more Nigerians and Vietnamese than other city in the South and almost in the U.S.Yet look at the numbers above.Atlanta has more than DOUBLE the population from ASIA do in part to it having a much larger Korean population.Atlanta also has more as a percentage of the population of Nigerians in America.Houston @1.36% and Atlanta @1.65%(of the total population)
Notice Atlanta has a much more even spread than even Miami.BELOW

Look at both of these charts side by side:
http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Atlanta2005.htm
Houston:
http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Houston2005.htm

Yet all some can say is,Atlanta is not as diverse after all the facts with NO facts to prove otherwise except on ."No,there's no way"

*** these numbers were taken from a few years prior to the later numbers provided in the link below,but still spot on in scope

Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,234,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Its not hard to conceive anything.I never said it was.But many people on here are finding it hard to grasp facts as I have presented.I have made no claims without providing data as to why those claims make sense.Yet people only have "one" truth as if its the only truth they want to hear.I am glad you are not silly enough like some others to use that "consulate claim" as an "rallying cry"

Many people on here are claiming Houston is the most diverse city in the South,even over Miami( jluke65780,and especialy the Houston Posse)).You can tell they are from the same region or have lived their at the same time at some point because they all sound like a walking billboard for the Houston Chamber of Commerce.Just regurgitating facts since 1982.LOL!

Houston-21.3%
Atlanta-12.6%
Miami-36.9%
Dallas-17.7%****

But Of those percentages above,listed below are the regions of the world from which those foreign born's origins are located.
Yes they are correct when they say Houston when they say(as you also asked) it is diverse,yet as jluke65780 said that Houston is more diverse than Miami based on this.As you and he can see,this is not true.

Yet as he and some others of argued against each other.I said that because almost 70% of DAL/HOU of the foreign born the roughly 23% for both cities came from basically Latin America,neither in MY opinion(based on the numbers), are not any more than Atlanta.What about the other 4(FOUR)regions populated regions of the world?Oh well that did it!They came from everywhere attacking me as if it was SO outlandish even though the numbers TELL THE WHOLE STORY.

As you saw Atlanta had more people coming from each region,with the exception of Latin America ,yet because almost 70% of the roughly 23% of total foreign born pop. of which also more than 50% of that 70% are from MEXICO,not even the majority of Latin American Countries than ANY of those cities mentioned.NOT Brazil,Puerto Rico,Argentina,Cuba,or Dominican Republic.MEXICO,more than HALF.Yet they say that is diverse?

Then I hear Houston and there supporters say:"Well we have more Nigerians and Vietnamese than other city in the South and almost in the U.S.Yet look at the numbers above.Atlanta has more than DOUBLE the population from ASIA do in part to it having a much larger Korean population.Atlanta also has more as a percentage of the population of Nigerians in America.Houston @1.36% and Atlanta @1.65%(of the total population)

Houston:

Yet all some can say is,Atlanta is not as diverse after all the facts with NO facts to prove otherwise except on ."No,there's no way"

*** these numbers were taken from a few years prior to the later numbers provided in the link below,but still spot on in scope
Those just show the foreign born population in each city.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
And pray tell...what would your top 5 be?

I definately think Houston is a good canidate for #5 given it is the Oil and Energy capital of the world.
You may add Renewable Energy as well to that in a few years. If so, Houston's economy will explode even more.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:33 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
And what does Dallas have that could compete? ports??? Nope. What about TMC? Nothing. Rice? Zip. NASA? Nata. Oil? No. Hmm....maybe you can convince me otherwise (or not).
Ports? Yes. Remember, a port isn't only a seaport. They also have inland ports and of course airports and this is where Dallas tops Houston. Dallas has the largest cargo airport in the state and the metro has two inland ports.

TMC? They don't have one like that but they still have great medical facilities. UT Southwestern which is growing very fast and Baylor Medical Clinic are no slouches. Rice? Got Dallas there pretty easily. NASA? Well it isn't even based in Houston for one. It's based in Washington DC. Oil? Well Dallas wasn't built on oil. It was built on trade, manufacturing, and finance. This is why it is a big retail hub and has a larger trading area than Houston. Houston does not have the financial clout as Dallas as Dallas has of course most of the state's HQ's as well as Comerica bank and a Federal Reserve.

Point being, Dallas isn't as far behind as you think it is.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:37 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,951,346 times
Quote:
And pray tell...what would your top 5 be?

I definately think Houston is a good canidate for #5 given it is the Oil and Energy capital of the world.

Of course, since you're from Texas.

I'm too tired to think of a list right now.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,763,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

Houston-21.3%
Atlanta-12.6%
Miami-36.9%
Dallas-17.7%****

Houston:

First off, Ill say that I never thought Houston was more diverse then Miami. Ive had it out with a few of them myself.

Though I agree with much of what you said at the beginning of your post, I think the later half of your post is way off.

Youre removing the MSA's foreign born community and then youre basing everything off percentages and making statements like "Atlanta has more Asians than Houston or Dallas". No, Atlanta does not have more Asians than Houston or Dallas, Atlanta has a higher percentage of its foreign born community that is Asian than Houston or Dallas. Of course Dallas and Houston are going to have less percentage of their foreign born community that is Asian because Dallas and Houston have many many more Latin Americans. If you really what to discover what the areas have, look at it numerically, dont remove the cities foreign born population and break that portion into percentages. Thats wrong on so many levels.

Atlanta does have the largest Korean community in the South. However its not outlandishly larger than DFW's. Houston doesnt have much of a Korean community so its quite a bit larger than theirs. Houston on the other hand has the 3rd largest Vietnamese community in the US. Dallas has the 4th largest Vietnamese community in the US. Both Houston and Dallas' Vietnamese community are much larger than Atlanta's Korean Community.

By 2007 estimates, here is the Foreign Born Asian community for the 3:

Houston 244,274
Dallas 228,209
Atlanta 176,671

So if you want to break these down into percentages (rounded off):

Houston: 4.2%
Dallas: 3.7%
Atlanta: 3.2%

So no matter how you slice it, Atlanta has few Asians than the other two MSA's in question.

Atlanta is the largest for Europeans and Africans.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,763,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Of course, since you're from Texas.

I'm too tired to think of a list right now.
Pathetic.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,951,346 times
Quote:
Pathetic.

There are more important cities than Houston and Dallas. Here's my list:

1. NYC
2. DC
3. LA
4. Chicago
5. Miami

Old 10-06-2009, 05:47 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,808,471 times
Thumbs down NOPE,get ya facts right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
WOW! I don't even know were to start! This was a good debate at first, but now your just being ridiculous!

Fist of all did you even read the link? Your going to accuse The Houston Airport System of making up numbers and you back it up with a wikipedia link? Wow! And as far as claiming that Atlanta deserves a top 5 spot based on the fact that it has built a huge industry around transportation, ask Detroit how that has worked for them.

And so I guess you think that New York is not the financial center of the country because of Chicago, San Francisco, and Charlotte? Give me a brake. Comparing Houston to Anchorage and New Orleans is like comparing New York to Charlotte. Houston is the undisputed energy center of this hemisphere, and the only city that can compete with Houston is Dallas (and MAYBE Calgary but that's irrelevant because it's not even in the US).

And I would agree with you that the importance of a city depends on more than just airports, but your the one that keeps bringing it up. Sense Atlanta is not a New York, Chicago, or LA, the cultural aspects of Atlanta vs Houston or Dallas all depends on how you look at it. Although Atlanta may beat Houston or Dallas in TV broadcasting, that is only a small part of culture. I could go into Houston's ballet, opera, and symphony orchestra or Houston's prestigious museums and well renowned art scene. Or how the DFW has more museums designed by Pritzker Prized architects then i care to mention (4 in Fort Worth alone). And then of course there is the music scenes, film, and blah blah blah. The point being, it's all depends on how you look at it.

The only "credible" arguments you seem to have made for Atlanta being "more important" than Houston or Dallas is transportation and education. I can give you a lot more than that for both Houston and Dallas:

Size: Houston, Dallas

Economy: Houston, Dallas

Corporate Power: Houston, Dallas by far. Not even close.

Energy Center: Houston, Dallas

Aerospace: Houston

Health Care: Houston

Among the Top 3 Largest Seaports in the Country: Houston

Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones: Dallas (kidding)

I could keep going if you insisting arguing but I'm getting kind of tiered of arguing with your ridiculous theory that Atlanta is more important than San Fran, Boston, Houston, or Dallas. You can twist and manipulate the facts to what ever you want to believe and that is fine by me, but the majority of the country is not going to agree with you.
I only added Atlanta.It was my choice.Yet you SAY it is ridiculous to name it.I never ONCE said HOUSTON ,San Francisco or Boston should be NOT be mentioned.You and others got mad becasue instead of just staing your preferences in a detailed well thought out educated answer,you decided to go in ATTACK mode like many of YOU TEXANS do more than ANYbody on C-D.

Then you cannot realize that I was debating and answering questions to MORE than one person about ALL the issue each individual had with certain different aspects of my post.
So then you say I brought up those things when actually I did not.I only answered the questions poised to me.

Instead of deciphering the who said what,to whom and when.You lump it all together and TRY to attribute a false statement that YOU TRIED to associate to me:
Quote:
importance of a city depends on more than just airports, but your the one that keeps bringing it up.
(YOU)
You also are not comprehending well because YOU said I said this:
Quote:
Give me a brake. Comparing Houston to Anchorage and New Orleans

When actually I said this:
Quote:
Energy?Yes it is important,but the America would still be America without it.We would just refine the oil elsewhere like New Orleans or Mobile.Natural Gas,Electric,Wind,we would adapt quickly ad move on.It would not destroy America,only cripple it for a short term.That is a terrible reason by itself.You over estimate its importance GREATLY
and the only thing i said mentioning Anchorage is this:
Quote:
Why do you think cargo in Atlanta(Airport) has increased so much?In 2004 it had the largest increase in cargo shipments after Anchorage Al,and it ranks 10th behind NYC,Chicago and Miami to name the largest cities.

If you had read what I posted about culture in the ATL vs HOU,you would have seen what I said about Houston's museums and cultural facilities of how they are highly regarded.I also mentioned what I thought Atlanta had in comparison or what it lacked.So you are right,you are TIRED apparently ,because it seems you(like some others) just don't wanna hear what I'm saying about Atlanta.For some reason you guys think if I say something positive about Atlanta,then I'm really saying something NEGATIVE about your city or others.That is very narrow-minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City