Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM

82 posts, read 90,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
Not even going to waste my time.

You need to run along. Your friends are waiting for you. Please stay off the street!!
Heck, if you think that Detroit has a bigger economy than NYC because a Detroit MSA has a bigger economy than a NYC MSA, be my guest. I'll be living in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 AM

221 posts, read 484,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Hahahahaha! I think everybody in the Minneapolis forum knows your name by now -- you are a HUGE Twin Cities hater.....this proves it! You have some points, but then your enormous bias takes over and makes you look like an idiot.

The automotive industry IS more important than anything in the Twin Cities -- that's your only decent point. Why don't you focus on KC or wherever you live and make some argument for it instead?
You're right, I don't care about the Twin Cities all that much, but I'm not the only one. The thing I've noticed on this forum, is the Minnesota posters seem more sensitive and seem to display this inferiority complex. Whether you (or any of you) want to be believe it, I am familiar with Minneapolis and St. Paul (I'm currently staying here). When I was posting good things about the cities right after moving here, no one was denying my familiarity with the area, but once I started posting negative things about the cities (after spending more time here and becoming more familiar with the area), I have people denying that I've ever been to the Twin Cities. It seems the Minnesota posters desperately want Minneapolis-St. Paul to become this perfect area (or atleast want people to perceive this area as such), but when things don't happen according to the "plan," then those posters want to cry and whine and pout and go on these little "hissy-fits." Look, you guys take way too much pride in your city. No, Minneapolis and St. Paul are not that nice! Get over it! Not everyone is going to fall in love with the Twin Cities, nor is everyone going to stroke your (inflated) egos. I also think you guys should drop the whole "World Class" thing as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver111 View Post
You seriously need to look at the Census website before making up stuff.

An MSA is NOT a metropolitan area. The Census doesn't define metropolitan areas.

An MSA is a conglomeration of municipalities based on density patterns (basically residents per square mile) and commuting patterns (basically proportion of commuters within a given geography).
I didn't even read any of the back and forth about this, just saw that comment. An MSA is the direct definition of a metropolitan area in the United States.

A metropolitan area is a collection of counties that function as one economic and population unit and is defined as a specific metropolitan statistical area by the census.

Quote:
The Office of Management and Budget defines "Core Based Statistical Areas" used for statistics purposes among federal agencies. Each CBSA is based on a core urban area and is composed of the counties which comprise that core as well as any surrounding counties that are tightly socially or economically integrated with it. These areas are designated as either metropolitan or micropolitan statistical areas, based on population size; a "metro" area has an urban core of at least 50,000 residents, while a "micro" area has fewer than 50,000 but at least 10,000.[11]

Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Hahahahaha! I think everybody in the Minneapolis forum knows your name by now -- you are a HUGE Twin Cities hater.....this proves it! You have some points, but then your enormous bias takes over and makes you look like an idiot.

The automotive industry IS more important than anything in the Twin Cities -- that's your only decent point. Why don't you focus on KC or wherever you live and make some argument for it instead?
What the hec does this mean? Why does it matter where I live? I am from Michigan originally, I've made that clear lots and lots and lots of times on this forum. I am originally from Ann Arbor (born and raised), and finished school just outside of Detroit in an inner ring suburb. I spent the first 24 years of my life in Southeastern Michigan, so I do have a legitimate reason to comment on Detroit. Infact, I have more of a valid reason to make an argument for Detroit (as far as major cities go) then any other city in this country.

But, I don't know. I think I'm going to give up entirely on even trying to vouch for Detroit since it seems like I (or anyone else) would be doing the equivalent of talking to a brick wall. I don't think most people on this board have ever visited Detroit, and are basing their assessment on (media fed) stereotypes. Yes, Detroit does have some bad things, but Detroit also has some good things going for it (as does the entire metro area). Detroit is not all bad. I'm not trying to portray Detroit as a perfect city (like Minneapolis/St. Paul people do on a regular basis), but it's also not the worst city on Earth either and does has some positives. But, I digress.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
MSAs taken alone, are not a proxy for metropolitan area
That is exactly what they are. Do you not realize that MSA stands for Metropolitan Statistical Area?

EDIT: Just saw Chicago60614's response on this issue as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM

252 posts, read 493,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
You're right, I don't care about the Twin Cities all that much, but I'm not the only one. The thing I've noticed on this forum, is the Minnesota posters seem more sensitive and seem to display this inferiority complex. Whether you (or any of you) want to be believe it, I am familiar with Minneapolis and St. Paul (I'm currently staying here). When I was posting good things about the cities right after moving here, no one was denying my familiarity with the area, but once I started posting negative things about the cities (after spending more time here and becoming more familiar with the area), I have people denying that I've ever been to the Twin Cities. It seems the Minnesota posters desperately want Minneapolis-St. Paul to become this perfect area (or atleast want people to perceive this area as such), but when things don't happen according to the "plan," then those posters want to cry and whine and pout and go on these little "hissy-fits." Look, you guys take way too much pride in your city. No, Minneapolis and St. Paul are not that nice! Get over it! Not everyone is going to fall in love with the Twin Cities, nor is everyone going to stroke your (inflated) egos. I also think you guys should drop the whole "World Class" thing as well.
I actually knew you were a troll a long time ago so, I stopped responding to your posts (positive or negative).

Yes, alot (probably most) of my comments were stupid and ridiculous and unfounded, I'll admit that. - JmanAA

What I will say, is that I'm not, in any way, trying to be a nuisance or a "pest" or anything like that. - JmanAA

It is a personal problem for me. - JmanAA's response after being accused of having a Jekyll-and-Hyde perspective

You have been trying to be a nuisance as you go out of your way to p*ss people off with your comments. How did you define them? Oh yeah, stupid and ridiculous and unfounded. Why you are even allowed to continue to troll this forum is beyond me.

Last edited by Unity77; 07-21-2011 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 AM

9 posts, read 19,875 times
Quote:
You seriously need to look at the Census website before making up stuff.

An MSA is NOT a metropolitan area. The Census doesn't define metropolitan areas.

An MSA is a conglomeration of municipalities based on density patterns (basically residents per square mile) and commuting patterns (basically proportion of commuters within a given geography).
No, the Census (Bureau of the Census) does not define metropolitan areas, but the United States Office of Management and Budget (OMB) does. The OMB defines a Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) as a Core Based Statistical Area having at least one urbanized area of 50,000 or more population, plus adjacent territory that has a high degree of social and economic integration with the core as measured by commuting ties. The OMB has defined 366 MSAs for the United States as of March 29, 2010. The U.S. Census Bureau (Bureau of the Census) as well as other U.S. government agencies (ex. the Bureau of Economic Analysis) use MSAs for statistical purposes. This is a fact!!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
I actually knew you were a troll a long time ago so, I stopped responding to your posts (positive or negative).
And that's because I've been critical of the Twin Cities???? See, my point exactly. I don't like Minneapolis or St. Paul, period! I don't have anything positive to say about the Twin Cities because my experience here hasn't been very positive. If that makes me a troll, then so be it. I've been called worse in real life, so I'll be fine (even if my posts are ignored).

Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 PM

252 posts, read 493,261 times
Quote:
And that's because I've been critical of the Twin Cities???? See, my point exactly. I don't like Minneapolis or St. Paul, period! I don't have anything positive to say about the Twin Cities because my experience here hasn't been very positive. If that makes me a troll, then so be it. I've been called worse in real life, so I'll be fine (even if my posts are ignored).
No, it's because of your Jekyll-and-Hyde perspective you've had and your admittance to making stupid and ridiculous and unfounded comments (your words, not mine). Honestly, I could care less if you or anyone else doesn't like the Twin Cities. It really doesn't offend me. What's important is that I continue to like it and remain happy. The area constantly ranks high on many lists / rankings and IMO, is much better than most metropolitan areas in the country.

If you don't have anything positive to say, then don't say anything. Honestly, instead of wasting your time trying to rip on an area that is clearly doing well in many areas, why don't you focus on improving the dump you're originally from (Wichita right?).

P.S. you're experience has been negative because of you, not the city.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
I think you are blinded by your bias and you can't see things objectively. I'm pretty sure almost nobody cares if not all people like the Twin Cities (we all know this). What is your deal anyways? You don't live there and you aren't from there, so why the strong bias?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City