Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 03:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,960,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
High crime rate in Upstate NY? That's news to me considering Florida has Miami and some small towns that make the cities with relatively high crime rates in NY State look like child's play.
Maybe I was wrong, but a majority of New Yorkers that i've met just LOOOOOOVE to tell storie on how "BAD" New York is, so I just assumed that it was as bad they LOOOOVE to protray it as. Maybe they love faking how hard they really are. Maybe they need to be exposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,491,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
I am not trying to argue, but you know Florida sucks......
Er... Sounds to me you are trying to argue. It seems there were about two pages of decent critique here before the whole thread derailed and devolved into a Yo-mama-so-fat-Oh-yeah-yo-mama-so-much-fatter type contest between states.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
I wouldn't mind living in the FL panhandle, on the beach.. also, I almost took a job in St. Augustine a few years ago, I think that'd be a good place to live. The Florida keys, somewhere like Marathon or Big Pine, would be awesome.

But outside of that I think most of New York state would generally be a better place to live than most of Florida. I don't know if I'd be real pleased with the weather in NY, though. If I made a really good living, I think New York City (Manhattan) would be a great place to live. You can keep all the rest - Long Island, the boroughs, etc.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,689,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You have a good point, but what I dont understand is why New Yorkers come down here and brag about how "dangerous" it is up there, YET many people deny the danger element?
Ignorance
Not afraid to say it either.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Ignorance
Not afraid to say it either.
Thank you. Finally somone admits it.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:21 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Thank you. Finally somone admits it.

It's stupid to claim you come from crime infested NY when it's named the safest big city in the country. Anyone up to date in the news would know that NY is safe for its size. Of course there are a few tough neighborhoods, but the people from there never brag they're from those bad neighborhoods. People who brag about being from a bad, tough neighborhood usually live in a middle-class, safe town.

I could see someone doing that who grew up in NYC in the 70s and 80s, but not today.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's stupid to claim you come from crime infested NY when it's named the safest big city in the country. Anyone up to date in the news would know that NY is safe for its size. Of course there are a few tough neighborhoods, but the people from there never brag they're from those bad neighborhoods. People who brag about being from a bad, tough neighborhood usually live in a middle-class, safe town.

I could see someone doing that who grew up in NYC in the 70s and 80s, but not today.
I agree. The 70's and 80's and EARLY 90's when NYC had 2,245 murders.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,752,867 times
So many typical New Yorker responses. Get real defensive and bad mouth the other state. honestly, do you ever see Floridians retire and move to new york? Does anyone ever move to new york on there own free will besides NYC for buisness. Look How fast the cities in FL are growing in population compared to New York cities like Buffalo who are in decay. The only people on here who prefur New York are New Yorkers who has grow accustom to it. Ill be relaxing in paradise , while you continue to defend your state in the typical rude New York manner and wonder why so many people deslike you.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:46 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
^^Gotta love false stereotypes!!

For your information, all NYers aren't flocking to "paradise" in Florida. People I've known who have moved to Florida came back to NY because they didn't like it down there. My parents had to move to Florida for business. How about that one??? They're getting out of that state as soon as possible and moving back north for retirement. How about that too??? Florida isn't the most popular retirement spot anymore. The baby boomers seem to be retiring to PA (cheaper place in the north) or NC.

If you really think people only move to NY for business, then you've obviously never spent enough time in the city. It has nothing to do with wanting to be in a great city of Ny, just strictly "business" lol...

And as a matter of fact, I've run across much ruder people in Florida. NYers are known to be some of the friendliest people in the country.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
So many typical New Yorker responses. Get real defensive and bad mouth the other state. honestly, do you ever see Floridians retire and move to new york? Does anyone ever move to new york on there own free will besides NYC for buisness. Look How fast the cities in FL are growing in population compared to New York cities like Buffalo who are in decay. The only people on here who prefur New York are New Yorkers who has grow accustom to it. Ill be relaxing in paradise , while you continue to defend your state in the typical rude New York manner and wonder why so many people deslike you.
Yes, this is very true. NY is very stagnant right now and it is mostly because of the nanny state mentality and high taxes. The good thing is that if you took NYC out the state would be about 50 50 as far as Dem and Rep voting so Upstate is much different than downstate (thank god). NY'ers upstate are a much friendlier bunch (generally) than downstate. I am not saying that Florida is perfect but it is not as bad as some people make it out to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City