Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
seattle

only because texas scares me

Anyway, I was talking with my very intelligent roommate from Maine the other day, and it was hilarious because she thought Houston was DRY, so it's not hard for me to believe that people in the general population have misconceptions about Houston (among other cities).

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-05-2009 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 06:57 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I don't understand what being flat has to do with anything.
Go to California and drive down PCH and then you'll undrstand

In terms of things to do, it all depends on what you're interested in. If you enjoy hiking, boating, beaches and waterskiiing, like I do...yes, you will get bored in Houston.

Also, having been to both places multiple times, I think we all can admit that Seattle is a prettier city. Would I rather look at hills and the beautiful harbor, or a refinery through the smog?

Last edited by NSX; 09-06-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 07:32 PM

200 posts, read 295,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post

In terms of things to do, it all depends on what you're interested in. If you enjoy hiking, boating, beaches and waterskiiing, like I do...yes, you will get bored in Houston.
I'm pretty sure you can enjoy all of the above with the exception of hiking in Houston and the surrounding areas. While the beaches in Galveston might not be exactly pretty, I can guarantee the beaches there are warmer than the ones in Seattle.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Um, are you sure you're thinking about Houston, or somewhere else? Houston's bay area ranks 3rd or 4th in the country for number of pleasure boats. So there's the Clear Lake/Bay Area to the southeast, Lake Houston to the northeast, and Galveston Island beaches within about an hour's drive from downtown. Also Lake Conroe isn't far.

Quote:
Also, having been to both places multiple times, I think we all can admit that Seattle is a prettier city. Would I rather look at hills and the beautiful harbor, or a refinery through the smog?
Really? You've been to Houston multiple times? I don't believe that. Why do you generalize the industrial east-side suburb cities like Baytown and Channelview to all of Houston? A refinery through the smog... is that some kind of joke? Yeah, let's take the worst part of town and generalize it to the entire city... sounds like you sat in your hotel room in some bad area the whole time during your supposed multiple trips... this is the kind of stupidity on city-data that Houstonians take issue with, and for good reason.

See Houston's "ugliness" for yourself. Don't forget to notice the pic with all the boats, and the other one with a beach!

//www.city-data.com/forum/6246710-post34.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/7013570-post7.html

Old 09-06-2009, 11:12 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
I loved the stretch in Santa Monica looking over the bay. The traffic jam was horrible. Who in their right mind sits in traffic for 2-3 hours to go to the beach (same distance on the 10 from DT Houston to FM 1463)? The day I drove it, I needed to get out or else I would run out of gas attempting to get to Malibu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
seattle

only because texas scares me
California

only because it is scary (barren and depopulated and uncultured and uncivilized) in the West outside of California (judging by the scenery along I-40 in NM and AZ)

And your point is? (explain why Texas scares you just like my example above)

Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
whoa whoa, wait a minute...
comparing options on pacific coast to houston metro...

sigh...

Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I loved the stretch in Santa Monica looking over the bay. The traffic jam was horrible. Who in their right mind sits in traffic for 2-3 hours to go to the beach (same distance on the 10 from DT Houston to FM 1463)? The day I drove it, I needed to get out or else I would run out of gas attempting to get to Malibu!
True, there are some bad traffic jams in California, I'll give you that. However, once you get to the beach, it is worth it, I don't think we can compare Galveston to Malibu

Also, just fyi, the best place to drive PCH is between LA and SF and about 20 miles north of the Bay. It usually will flow nicely at 70.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
True, there are some bad traffic jams in California, I'll give you that. However, once you get to the beach, it is worth it, I don't think we can compare Galveston to Malibu
No one is comparing Galveston to Malibu. How many people can actually afford to live in Malibu?

The question was Houston and Seattle. Not CA.

And you said Houston had no boating/fishing/water recreation (which is absolutely wrong) and made a very misleading comment about refineries, as if they're just randomly spread around the city or something... which you still haven't addressed.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
No one is comparing Galveston to Malibu. How many people can actually afford to live in Malibu?

The question was Houston and Seattle. Not CA.

And you said Houston had no boating/fishing/water recreation (which is absolutely wrong) and made a very misleading comment about refineries, as if they're just randomly spread around the city or something... which you still haven't addressed.
apparently since Los Angeles CSA is 18million people, a lot. Is Houston cheaper? Certainly... but as old addage goes you pay for what you get.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
apparently since Los Angeles CSA is 18million people, a lot. Is Houston cheaper? Certainly... but as old addage goes you pay for what you get.
I'm confused as to why L.A. is coming up here.

The "old adage" has been discussed on these boards multiple times, and is just that -- OLD. The lower prices in Texas have much to do with the availability of land, fewer restrictions, tax differences, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City