Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:20 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,968,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
To be honest, i thought NYC was going to be on the list with Newark, Irvington, and East Orange in the metro but i guess I was wrng.
Why would you think that?
Newark is a mid-sized city (on the small end of mid-sized) & IRV, EO are downright small towns.
These places are considered dangerous because the population to murder ratio is high.
As a whole, their RAW numbers (the actual sum of murders) are small in the greater scheme of things.
Essex Co is just a drop in the bucket & does not dramatically alter the statistics of a Metro of 22 Million.
Newark, Irv & EO are nothing more than a small intensified pocket of violence in a vast metro area.

On the other hand, Philly looks like they are trying to place the blame on New Jersey (surprising).
Yea, sure............... NJ is the reason Philly is the Wild West. Come on fellas, nothing gets accomplished when you don't take a good, long, hard look in the mirror.

Last edited by openheads; 04-26-2009 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:51 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,054,874 times
From what I've heard about New Orleans I would've thought it'd be among the top 5.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,229,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post

On the other hand, Philly looks like they are trying to place the blame on New Jersey (surprising).
Yea, sure............... NJ is the reason Philly is the Wild West. Come on fellas, nothing gets accomplished when you don't take a good, long, hard look in the mirror.
I'm not sure what is going on with NYC's ridiculously low crime rate. Theres all kinds of speculation and given the high poverty rates and immense urbanization of NYC you have to keep an open mind to the rumors of cooking the books as far as crime stats are concerned. Lets leave NYC and Philly out of the equation for arguments sake.

As you will see suburban Philly has 200,000 more people than suburban North Jersey but 20,000 less violent crimes than North Jersey.

Lets compare the violent crime of the 8 Philly suburban counties with the 6 North Jersey suburban counties of metro NYC.

North Jersey counties= 4.1 Million people

violent crimes committed(fbi stats)

Essex-43,660
Hudson-24,084
Union-19,965
Middlesex-19,963
Bergen- 16,680
Passaic-16,148

North Jersey total =140,500 violent crimes

Philaldephia suburban counties=4.3 Million people

New Castle(DE)-24,001
Camden(NJ)-20,673
Montgomery(PA)-18,793
Delaware(PA)-15,118
Bucks(PA)-14,522
Burlington(NJ)-10,578
Chester(PA)-8,661
Gloucester(NJ)-8,208

Suburban Philadlephia total= 120,554

Old 04-26-2009, 08:36 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,692,562 times
Quote:
Why would you think that?
Newark is a mid-sized city (on the small end of mid-sized) & IRV, EO are downright small towns.
These places are considered dangerous because the population to murder ratio is high.
As a whole, their RAW numbers (the actual sum of murders) are small in the greater scheme of things.
Essex Co is just a drop in the bucket & does not dramatically alter the statistics of a Metro of 22 Million.
Newark, Irv & EO are nothing more than a small intensified pocket of violence in a vast metro area.

... Irvington is one of the most dangerous cities in the country with population 40K-60K
United States cities by crime rate (40,000 - 60,000) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EO, Newark, Irv, Orange, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Paterson, and if you want to be technical Trenton is apart of the metro.. Let's add Roosevelt, NY on Long Island to the mix because it is a part of the NYC metro, Mount Vernon isn't too great either... All these cities/towns aren't too safe.

Now I'm not goin to add all that population but there's probably around 1 million people in those dangerous cities.. that's a decent amount of people.
I just name the worst of the metro (Irvington, Newark, EO)

It's not obvious that NYC metro is really safe. It's city as 8 million people overall is one of the safest big cites, but there's a handful of sections around that city that are pretty rough.
It would be common for people to think that it wouldn't be one of the safest metros.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,968,447 times
Quote:
... Irvington is one of the most dangerous cities in the country with population 40K-60K
United States cities by crime rate (40,000 - 60,000) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EO, Newark, Irv, Orange, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Paterson, and if you want to be technical Trenton is apart of the metro.. Let's add Roosevelt, NY on Long Island to the mix because it is a part of the NYC metro, Mount Vernon isn't too great either... All these cities/towns aren't too safe.

Now I'm not goin to add all that population but there's probably around 1 million people in those dangerous cities.. that's a decent amount of people.
I just name the worst of the metro (Irvington, Newark, EO)

It's not obvious that NYC metro is really safe. It's city as 8 million people overall is one of the safest big cites, but there's a handful of sections around that city that are pretty rough.
It would be common for people to think that it wouldn't be one of the safest metros.
22 MILLION people in the NYC metro. 22 Million....................... The "handful of rough sections" are far, far outnumbered by suburb after suburb. With NJ, LI & CT's average income, there would have to be quite a few more slums for the NYC metro to even be in contention.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
22 MILLION people in the NYC metro. 22 Million....................... The "handful of rough sections" are far, far outnumbered by suburb after suburb. With NJ, LI & CT's average income, there would have to be quite a few more slums for the NYC metro to even be in contention.
I get that.. The 22 million people in the burbs are for the majority in small towns.
When you name all the biggest cities in the metro

Newark
Jersey City
Paterson
Elizabeth
Trenton
The bigger towns
Irvington
East Orange
Mount Vernon

You see that a big chunk of it is probably one of the worst sections of the North east... You know, people around the country don't think Westfield, Upper Saddle River, Paramus etc when they think "NYC metro" (Hence why a lot of people think North Jersey is a disaster)... the small towns make up most of the population, I KNOW, but there's too many of them for outsiders to realize how safe it is in the NYC metro.

That's all i meant when i said i didn't think it was that safe.. I knew it was fairly safe but some of the roughest towns are in the NYC metro.
Tell a person in the griddiest part of Irvington they're in a safe metro.. they'll be surprised since they're in one of the most dangerous cities in america.

So for most people, it's what your familiar with.

I thought Philly was one of the worst.. and it's not.. I'm not familiar with the metro but for Camden.. see why i thought that?

Detroit was obvious though.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Philadelphia i thought for sure should be on the top list.
Yeah its absolutely treacherous.

Who knows if the publication was printed in Philadelphia maybe they could have spun it that NYC was the 15th most dangerous metro instead of vice versa.

Take it down the street kid.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Yeah its absolutely treacherous.

Who knows if the publication was printed in Philadelphia maybe they could have spun it that NYC was the 15th most dangerous metro instead of vice versa.

Take it down the street kid.

Hey, it's what i thought.. it is on the list though isn't it?

And the vice versa cmmnt.. well, i think you'd be right if they didn't overdue the NYC metro boundaries... I mean Trenton, Pike County PA, and The Hemptons are all considered NYC metro?.. i think it's ridiculous IMO.

If the NYC metro was more realistic i think it would be on the list.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Hey, it's what i thought.. it is on the list though isn't it?
Its on the list because this inaccurate article undercounted Philadlephia by 2 million people. If they had counted the entire population of the metro, then Philaldephia wouldnt be on this list.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:42 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,483,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
NYC1DAY... I never hear people complain about NYC crime anyway except for maybe Rachael when she's talking about her school. So I don't think anyone understands what you're getting at here.
Then you apparently are not familiar with SuperMario and all his NYC fear mongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City