Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Toronto
Los Angeles 277 56.30%
Toronto 215 43.70%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:08 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Toronto murders in terms of architecture, transportation, night life, arts.. LA just has the weather and Hollywood.. with a nice mountain backdrop to go with it.
You underestimate LA... but I don't believe your opinion can be changed so I will leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:16 PM

203 posts, read 689,278 times
Quote:
Toronto murders in terms of architecture, transportation, night life, arts.. LA just has the weather and Hollywood.. with a nice mountain backdrop to go with it.
HAHa

no.

California has more people than Canada as a whole hahaha

Old 12-17-2009, 03:22 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
HAHa

no.

California has more people than Canada as a whole hahaha

India has more people than the USA * 3. Therefore Indians are 3x as better than Americans. AHAHAHAHH

Old 12-17-2009, 03:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,937 times
What are you talking about? How come the second largest city in the most powerful and one of the wealthiest nations in the world has only weather plus Hollywood? It at least has people. More people than Toronto with a slightly less density. With more people comes a larger market, and everything then comes along. Yes Toronto has more skyscrapers and a larger downtown, but that is only one way to run a city. LA has its own way to maintain the second largest city in US and it seems right now it is doing fine. Walkability and skyscrapers are overrated. At the end of the day, it is the people working, consuming, entertaining, etc. that define a city, not whether they drive or take a train to work, or how many skyscrapers are in downtown. Having a good downtown is not everything. Downtown is just a name. I don't believe bars, clubs, restaurants and shops have to be surrounded by skyscrapers to function correctly. And the skyscrapers, it is not like each building is holding one company. Many companies only rent less than one floor of the space, so what's so special about working in a downtown skyscraper? LA has the population density to support public transportation, but previous tryouts failed so it is an indication that most people do not need that. Yes LA's traffic is bad but apparently it is still acceptable for the people living there. Otherwise either people will move out or its public transportation would have more ridership.

Quote:

Old 12-17-2009, 03:47 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
You call walkability and skyscrapers overrated.. yet that is the prmary basis of this thread, and what the OP asked to evaluate each city by. Get your priorities straight. And there's something called a personal opinion, therefore NO ONE is right, as everyone would preferably live somewhere but not the next.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:05 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,252 times
If it wasn't for the cold weather I'd choose Toronto in a heartbeat. I live in Northeast Ohio and am ready to get away from this weather, so there's no way I'd enjoy being in Toronto in the Winter lol. But yeah, weather for me was the only deciding factor. I believe Toronto would be so much more populated than it already is if it wasn't for the weather. I think a lot of people from the US would love to live in that city if it had better weather. But, maybe people in Toronto enjoy the fact that the coldness has stopped a lot of people from moving there, being that it's already crowded, but would be way more so if it wasn't for the Winter weather.

I said the word "weather" in this post a lot. I sound like a broken record lol.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:07 PM

203 posts, read 689,278 times
Quote:
India has more people than the USA * 3. Therefore Indians are 3x as better than Americans. AHAHAHAHH

but what state in india has more people than the u.s

Old 12-17-2009, 04:19 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,907 times
Quote:
You call walkability and skyscrapers overrated.. yet that is the prmary basis of this thread, and what the OP asked to evaluate each city by. Get your priorities straight. And there's something called a personal opinion, therefore NO ONE is right, as everyone would preferably live somewhere but not the next.
Opinions are fine, and any opinion is acceptable. Toronto vs. Los Angeles in terms of preferation is distinguished among certain individuals, and we all can understand that. They both are really great cities nonetheless.

However, in terms of global impact whether its media, business, education etc, I'd hand it to Los Angeles. Toronto, by any means, is no slouch at all. Los Angeles is a much larger urban area with a much larger GDP, a more prominent cultural and entertainment center (Hollywood), the largest manufacturing sector in the US, has world-class universities (UCLA, USC, Caltech), and a major international port. Toronto is one of North America's great cities, but I wouldn't rank it above Los Angeles.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,937 times
I was responding to you, not OP. Besides, I guess you are dreaming about what the original question is. Here is the original post:

Out of the two cities, which has the better restaurants, museums, landmarks, architecture, scenery, universities, nightlife, public transportation, arts, better for the youth, parks, etc? Which city would you rather live in, and why??

Where are walkability and skyscrapers mentioned? I guess you think about walkability and skyscrapers so much that you have this delusion that every thread is about that, huh?

What you said about LA having nothing except weather and Hollywood is not an opinion. It is a statement against facts. I voted Toronto for this one, but I want to cast my vote back to LA seeing these outlandish comments.

Quote:

Last edited by fashionguy; 12-17-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,811 times
Toronto (metropolitan area) "+"
-more compact city with a real downtown
-great parks and nice waterfront (currently under huge development)
-really safe
-ethnically and culturally very diverse
-nice weather in summer, spring and fall and snow during Christmas
-nice girls from all over the world (especially from East Europe & Asia), slim and natural
-public transportation
-clean environment
-great cultural scene (museums, festivals, theaters, universities, etc)
-great old architecture
-less expensive (overpriced)

Toronto "-"
-winter is very cold
-no beaches, mountains, or other natural beauties (except the lake)
-unassuming new architecture
-tries to copy NY to much
-homeless peoples downtown

L.A.(metropolitan area) "+"
-weather
-natural surroundings
-gorgeous rich neighborhoods/communities
-ethnically and culturally diverse
-many good looking girls, but....(see below)

L.A. "-"
-polluted
-higher crime
-the bad areas are REALLY bad and dangerous
-not a real city (more like a conglomerate of neighborhoods&communities linked trough highways)
-traffic and long to very long commutes
-car addicted people
-to many fat / **** / silicon tuned "babes"
-too many Mexicans
-too many CaliAsians (Asian born / descendants who maintain from their origins only the physical aspect)
-huge gap rich-poor
-full of famous/cool wannabe nullities
-too many shallow and uneducated celebrities
-poor cultural scene (if you don't consider Hollywood culture, obviously)
On short Toronto is advantaged by it's peoples and disadvantaged by it's physical environment, and L.A the exact opposite. So everybody decide which is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City