Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you feel is bashed the most in general?
New York City 7 15.56%
Chicago 6 13.33%
L.A 23 51.11%
Other 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM

464 posts, read 1,080,923 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone . I've been a member of city-data since September of 2008, and whenever I see a city vs city thread I am prepare myself for the war zone I am about to enter. With that being said, I've noticed I've never seen a thread to post things you like about certain cities instead of trying to point out everything negative about them.

Post what your favorite things are about one, two, or even all of these cities.

1. New York City, New York
2. Chicago, Illinois
3. Los Angeles, California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 PM

9,184 posts, read 13,286,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Hello everyone . I've been a member of city-data since September of 2008, and whenever I see a city vs city thread I am prepare myself for the war zone I am about to enter. With that being said, I've noticed I've never seen a thread to post things you like about certain cities instead of trying to point out everything negative about them.

Post what your favorite things are about one, two, or even all of these cities.

1. New York City, New York
2. Chicago, Illinois
3. Los Angeles, California
Of the three you mentioned I am not really sure. In the past it was defintely Los Angeles. Lately its been New York, but at least New York gets some good things said about it too from non-New Yorkers. Chicago was under vicious attack about a month ago however and had few defenders from outside Illinois/Wisconsin so I am going to go with Chicago.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,326,581 times
^ I think L.A. hast the most h8ers but chicago bashers are viscious like pitbulls and they're very persistent (no life prhaps?)

Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,296,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
^ I think L.A. hast the most h8ers but chicago bashers are viscious like pitbulls and they're very persistent (no life prhaps?)
Exactly, no life in Chicago (I live here) Yes, it is obvious I do not like Chicago I do however feel that the city has so many shortcomings that simply not on par with either NY or LA. I do not think criticising is the same as bashing and most of my comments are based on my own experience. I also heard and seen the same Chicagoans who are now complaining about criticism of Chicago bashing other Midwestern cities, not to mention the South. Obviuosly they do not like the taste of their own medicine.

I feel that New York get most of the bashing with so many people who never set foot in the city accusing New Yorkers of being rude and the city itself is extremely dirty and dangerous. That;s not true. The city is very friendly, not that dirty and is the safest big city in America based on FBI's statistics. Unfortunately, Hollywood made sure everyone who hasn't been to New York has a picture in their mind where shootings and robberies are normal part of NY life and people routinely jump each other on the street.

Last edited by dementor; 04-27-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,038,716 times
Los Angeles by a mile. I love LA, it's a great town with lots of charm, but unfortunately people base their opinions of Los Angeles from what they see on sites like these, stereotypes, and the media.

By the way--I LOVE New York. Greatest city on earth and my personal favorite for American cities.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,038,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Exactly, no life in Chicago (I live here) Yes, it is obvious I do not like Chicago I do however feel that the city has so many shortcomings that simply not on par with either NY or LA. I do not think criticising is the same as bashing and most of my comments are based on my own experience. I also heard and seen the same Chicagoans who are now complaining about criticism of Chicago bashing other Midwestern cities, not to mention the South. Obviuosly they do not like the taste of their own medicine.

I feel that New York get most of the bashing with so many people who never set foot in the city accusing New Yorkers of being rude and the city itself is extremely dirty and dangerous. That;s not true. The city is very friendly, not that dirty and is the safest big city in America based on FBI's statistics. Unfortunately, Hollywood made sure everyone who hasn't been to New York has a picture in their mind where shootings and robberies are normal part of NY life and people routinely jump each other on the street.
+1 for you, I completely agree with this. I mean, I find it comical how people from Chicago claim to be "picked on", yet they constantly compare their city to more significant cities while simultaneously bashing the smaller cities adjacent to them. Not to take anything away from them, but that quality alone makes Chicago a VERY unattractive city in my eyes.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,296,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
+1 for you, I completely agree with this. I mean, I find it comical how people from Chicago claim to be "picked on", yet they constantly compare their city to more significant cities while simultaneously bashing the smaller cities adjacent to them. Not to take anything away from them, but that quality alone makes Chicago a VERY unattractive city in my eyes.
Thanks. Let me show you something, this is what Chicago Sun-Times (one of two major newspapers in Chicago) printed as their editorial few weeks ago. Articles and comments like this are a norm in Chicago press. Very friendly and respectful towards their own neighbors, right?

Big plans for Games are a big plus for city :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Commentary (http://www.suntimes.com/news/commentary/1507310,CST-EDT-edit02.article - broken link)

Big plans for Games are a big plus for city

"Dreaming big has made Chicago the vibrant and cosmopolitan town we proudly call home. It's also what distinguishes it from other, decaying Midwestern cities, guaranteeing a future while other cities now can only look back at their greatest days.
Chicago has hosted two world's fairs and built the world's tallest building, generating powerful momentum for the city with each new feat.
The Olympics is the next step."

Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,805,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Yes, I agree that LA has the most haters on this board of the big 3. However, I do agree that a slew of NY'ers for some reason are relentlessly picking on Chicago, for no apparent reason.

I never see bashed on this board. Everybody loves that city. Saying that New York City is unfriendly and dirty (which it is both of those) doesn't take people's enjoyment away from the city. We all love New York and always will. The people there being impossible doesn't take away from that.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Default I do not bash nearby cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Ok this is gonna be my last post for next couple of weeks..... ( maybe 1 week)

I love my hometown but AS FOR ME, I'm not gonna try and compare it to other "significant cities" nor do I bash other nearby cities. IMO there's really no point in comparing UNLESS something is very similar. Like I said I dont really see why people gotta sh1t on other cities unless its necessary.I think people who bash other cities are ussually insecure about where they live/are from, they are afraid that the city they are bashing is becoming too important, or they had a bad expirience in that particular city. Like I say every citiy has its pros/cons

peace for now

-mas23-

Last edited by mas23; 04-27-2009 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Yes, I agree that LA has the most haters on this board of the big 3. However, I do agree that a slew of NY'ers for some reason are relentlessly picking on Chicago, for no apparent reason.

I never see bashed on this board. Everybody loves that city. Saying that New York City is unfriendly and dirty (which it is both of those) doesn't take people's enjoyment away from the city. We all love New York and always will. The people there being impossible doesn't take away from that.
CAN I GET A +1 eh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City