Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:21 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
LMFAO how are you going to call me out for not providing evidence when you have yet to make a single effort to do any such thing to back up your ridiculous claim??

How many cities in South Carolina can you name w/o Googling? LOL you're ridiculous. And you have yet to state how the West Coast cities named earlier don't have anything in common. Where's your evidence??? And simply repeating "you haven't shown any so that makes me correct" is not sufficient.

The funniest part here is you're actually arguing as though there is much similarity between the South and the NE.
Again...lol...kind of like the way you're doing with Alaska? Try again.

I'm not the one making a claim that the South is LIKE the NE. I'm saying that Alaska is UNLIKE the West coast (which you're trying so hard to argue)

I never said the West coast cities don't have anything in common. YOU said that West-coast cities have "more in common than NYC does Miami etc." (remember that part? That smack-head icon you keep using doesn't appear to be working...it's causing memory-loss on your part)

Sorry, fam, but your argument is riddled with holes. You're telling me that -
-East coast cities North/south aren't culturally like. (you want to make that claim...fine)
-Then you say West coast cities are MORE culturally like (you want to make that claim...fine)
-When I ask you how this is so, all you tell me is that 'I'm' not providing YOU proof. (cop-out). If anything, if I'm not providing you 'proof' as you say then you're just as guilty as I am.

So here goes:

What does NYC have in common with Miami? Many NY'ers/NJ'ans move/retire to Florida to escape taxes/go on vacations/own summer homes. Why? Because Florida is seen as a liable alternative. Additionally, both Florida and the NE have high latino populations.

I've never heard of Honolulu to Anchorage or Portland. I could be wrong though but how would you know? You've probably never been to either.

I pulled this right off of our beloved city-data:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...migration.html

your turn.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:23 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo244u View Post
The only thing wrong with the East Coast map is the fact that the southern states are striped. If it's on the coast, well its the coast. Miami is on the coast on the eastside of the country so it's a eastcoast city. Same goes for Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, and VA Beach.

I dont see the big deal and if you don't want to call it East coast, well it's the Southeast.

For people to say that DC is where the east coast stops....I guess the west coast stops at San Francisco or Portland...
I don't care either way.

BTW, this is considered the South: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/US_map-The_South_Modern_.png (broken link)

I just posted these because that's how most encylopedias see it, and arguably the whole World as well.

It appears the East needed 2 seperate handicaps to come close to the West in this poll.
1) Including most of the South.
2) Taking away Hawaii from the West.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 09-06-2009 at 06:31 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
sometimes I think only about 10% of this board has actually traveled outside of a tri state area...
clearly many people on here have a warped perspective of u.s. in a cultural context.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
Yeah the SEC rules, but I like Texas and Oklahoma also.....
I agree, Texas can compete with any school in the SEC. Fla vs TX in Pasadena for the National Championship I'm already calling it. And Colt McCoy for Heisman.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
sometimes I think only about 10% of this board has actually traveled outside of a tri state area...
clearly many people on here have a warped perspective of u.s. in a cultural context.
They do indeed. It's quite sad.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree, Texas can compete with any school in the SEC. Fla vs TX in Pasadena for the National Championship I'm already calling it. And Colt McCoy for Heisman.
I don't like texas but the talent load they had around ricky williams and up to current was/is insane...it is in miami 80s, fsu 90s league and usc 2000s league easily. I did pull for texas vs. usc though...vince young was more impressive than r.bush to me.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I don't care either way.

BTW, this is considered the South: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/US_map-The_South_Modern_.png (broken link)

I just posted these because that's how most encylopedias see it, and arguably the whole World as well.

It appears the East needed 2 seperate handicaps to come close to the West in this poll.
1) Including most of the South.
2) Taking away Hawaii from the West.

Okay...let's say we subtract the south (which is at least a continuous coast and not an island in the middle of the Pacific). And go ahead and take the West.

Handicaps like...? Top richest states are in the east. Largest media market...east. Closer major cities...east. Financial capital of the country...east.

So yes...the geographically tiny NE contains that much more than the enormously geographically superior West. You're worried about lil 'ole us? lol

Old 09-06-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I don't like texas but the talent load they had around ricky williams and up to current was/is insane...it is in miami 80s, fsu 90s league and usc 2000s league easily. I did pull for texas vs. usc though...vince young was more impressive than r.bush to me.
I agree. Vince was AMAIZING in 06, LEGENDARY preformance in the National Championship. I guess the NFL is to hard on him now. I'm a UT fan, but I was also a UMiami fan because I lived in SoFla. Miami and FSU fell off, tomarrow is a battle of has been teams. I guess all of Florida's talent went to UF. But I'm not bandwagoning UT, because I was raised in Austin and have been a fan for a while. And I think USC is cool, they have been staying consistent also with there talent. USC basically has 1st dibs on all of the state of Californias talent.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 PM

haha yeh... uf has stolen all the talent, along with alabama and georgia and lsu picking off FL talent.

05 bowl game was also insane. I think he is just with the wrong team.
He needs to be on a more bill walsh style offense like sf under steve young or philly under cunningham.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:13 PM

In all seriousness though I do actually like the West (even though the back-n-forth is fun lol)

East/West=apples/oranges but if they were the same what fun would that be lol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City