Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Facts gleaned from an Associated Press study of new Florida driver's license applications submitted in 2008:

_ Florida remains the top choice of New Yorkers relocating out of the Northeast, ahead of North Carolina, California, Virginia and Georgia, even though that number has dropped by 45 percent over five years.

_ Last year, the top states from which applicants for Florida drivers licenses originated were New York (42,000), Georgia (21,000), New Jersey (20,000), Michigan (19,000) and Pennsylvania (17,500). In 2003, the top five states were New York (76,000), New Jersey (31,000), Georgia (29,000), Ohio (24,500) and Pennsylvania (24,200).

_ The states that produced the fewest Florida transplants last year, as well as five years ago, were two of the least populated states: North Dakota and Wyoming.

_ Considered as a group, the largest number of new applicants were foreigners last year, as in 2003. Coming from more than 200 countries, they made up almost 70,000 applicants last year and more than 83,000 applicants in 2003.

_ The average age of the new applicant last year was 42, as it was in 2003, indicating that people moving to Florida skewed toward a working age population rather than retirees.

Facts about Florida migration (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/gen/ap/Florida_Migration_Facts.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 AM

158 posts, read 503,965 times
That's an interesting cursory look at migration demographics. I'd imagine that the foreign immigration will only continue to increase given how badly things are economically in both Western and Eastern Europe.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post
That's an interesting cursory look at migration demographics. I'd imagine that the foreign immigration will only continue to increase given how badly things are economically in both Western and Eastern Europe.
I guarantee you the vast majority of these new foreign immigrants are *not* from Europe.
Try Haiti, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, etc.
Unfortunately.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
I guarantee you the vast majority of these new foreign immigrants are *not* from Europe.
Unfortunately.
Unquestionablely they are the majority and probably always will be given the proximity. But that wasn't really my point.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Facts gleaned from an Associated Press study of new Florida driver's license applications submitted in 2008:

_ Florida remains the top choice of New Yorkers relocating out of the Northeast, ahead of North Carolina, California, Virginia and Georgia, even though that number has dropped by 45 percent over five years.

_ Last year, the top states from which applicants for Florida drivers licenses originated were New York (42,000), Georgia (21,000), New Jersey (20,000), Michigan (19,000) and Pennsylvania (17,500). In 2003, the top five states were New York (76,000), New Jersey (31,000), Georgia (29,000), Ohio (24,500) and Pennsylvania (24,200).

_ The states that produced the fewest Florida transplants last year, as well as five years ago, were two of the least populated states: North Dakota and Wyoming.

_ Considered as a group, the largest number of new applicants were foreigners last year, as in 2003. Coming from more than 200 countries, they made up almost 70,000 applicants last year and more than 83,000 applicants in 2003.

_ The average age of the new applicant last year was 42, as it was in 2003, indicating that people moving to Florida skewed toward a working age population rather than retirees.

Facts about Florida migration (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/gen/ap/Florida_Migration_Facts.html - broken link)
This just came out today from the Miami Herald:

Quote:
A drop in driver's license applications from out-of-state residents certainly suggests they've cooled to the Sunshine State's charms. The number of applications from outsiders has tumbled 30 percent during the past five years - dropping from more than 585,000 in 2003 to about 410,000 in 2008, according to an analysis by The Associated Press.

New Yorkers have snubbed Florida in the largest numbers, with 34,000 fewer applicants coming from what has long been Florida's No. 1 feeder state. That's a decline of almost 50 percent. The next biggest drop came from New Jersey, with 11,000 fewer applicants.

Full article here (http://www.miamiherald.com/775/story/911042.html - broken link)

Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM

263 posts, read 574,670 times
The news in FL just gets better and better, LOL! OK, I am halfway kidding. No hate mail

-Considered as a group, the largest number of new applicants were foreigners.

-Florida remains the top choice of New Yorkers relocating out of the Northeast

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 AM

263 posts, read 574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Unfortunately.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM

"A drop in driver's license applications from out-of-state residents certainly suggests they've cooled to the Sunshine State's charms. The number of applications from outsiders has tumbled 30 percent during the past five years - dropping from more than 585,000 in 2003 to about 410,000 in 2008, according to an analysis by The Associated Press.

New Yorkers have snubbed Florida in the largest numbers, with 34,000 fewer applicants coming from what has long been Florida's No. 1 feeder state. That's a decline of almost 50 percent. The next biggest drop came from New Jersey, with 11,000 fewer applicants."

I'd imagine that that's the case for most or just about every state in the union. The fact is, there's a real estate and credit crisis going on, the country has been in a severe recession for two years. People aren't moving ANYWHERE for the most part so there will be decline in out-of-state DL applications in just about every state.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa

I'd imagine that that's the case for most or just about every state in the union. The fact is, there's a real estate and credit crisis going on, the country has been in a severe recession for two years. People aren't moving ANYWHERE for the most part so there will be decline in out-of-state DL applications in just about every state.

I have been trying to argue this all along. People are incredibly IMMOBILE right now. Many people are stuck, both in and out of Florida. People wanting in can't sell their homes, and people wanting out can't sell their homes. Plus, it's not as if there are many hot markets for jobs right now, ANYWHERE.

Plus, during the boom years (past five years into the last two of drops), Florida became less affordable for many people, and thus a less attractive retirement or relocation spot. Taxes went up with home values, and it was right then that the insurance rates were the highest immediately after the hurricanes in 2004.

Florida needs sustainable growth, not breakneck growth. A slowdown is welcome.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I have been trying to argue this all along. People are incredibly IMMOBILE right now. Many people are stuck, both in and out of Florida. People wanting in can't sell their homes, and people wanting out can't sell their homes. Plus, it's not as if there are many hot markets for jobs right now, ANYWHERE.

Plus, during the boom years (past five years into the last two of drops), Florida became less affordable for many people, and thus a less attractive retirement or relocation spot. Taxes went up with home values, and it was right then that the insurance rates were the highest immediately after the hurricanes in 2004.

Florida needs sustainable growth, not breakneck growth. A slowdown is welcome.
Totally agree, and now with the migrant slowdown and with the passage of the stimulus bill(yeah, minus the bloat and what-not) maybe the state's infustructure will finally be able to catch up with the population explosion of the past couple of decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida