Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,561,093 times

Advertisements

probably 1/3 of the people i know in sf bay are from new york...

Old 09-12-2009, 08:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,364,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
probably 1/3 of the people i know in sf bay are from new york...
Whoa .

Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,561,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Whoa .
well seriously, sf has always gotten ny transplants, literary figures, finance people, yada yada

Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,969,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Might be true in the suburbs and small towns of Oregon--but in Portland, I meet a lot of people these days who just relocated from New York. Maybe in Vancouver, WA or Hillsboro people would be impressed with someone from New York, but in Portland(or any big West Coast city) it wouldn't be that big a deal.

I mean when I've travelled to parts of the South or the Midwest or even some parts of the Northeast, people were tripped out when I told I was from Oregon and grew up in California...They had such wild misconceptions of the West Coast. So it goes both ways..

This was in a small town about 10 miles outside of Portland. Forgot the name of it.

I go vacation in the most random places in the country, and in strange times of the year. I went to St.Louis in the winter to see a Blues game, and all the locals were asking us why we would go to St.Louis since we live in NYC. Many people assume (outside of C-D, of course) someone from the biggest city in the country doesn't want to go to smaller cities that offer as much. We go to smaller cities as quick trips. I had a similar response in Oregon. People were asking me why I would want to go to Oregon on vacation if I'm from NY. Well, I DO like to see other areas of the country, unlike other NYers, lol (I find it funny how people tell me on this board i need to travel more. Like I said, I make lots of little trips all the time).

Old 09-13-2009, 06:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,485,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
That is because NYC actually is the best city! Whether people agree or disagree. In NYC you can find anything, and I am telling EVERYTHING.
We can feel this way towards NYC because it is the truth.

Now I will argue on the statement that you said "Texans think that there is no place on earth that even comes remotely close to being as good as Texas. Nobody has more pride in their state than Texans do. " Texas people should not feel proud of Texas why like they always do, why? Because there is nothing to find in Texas, everything is country. All you can find in Texas are farms. Texas is nothing when compared to NYC. I always get vexed when I stickers saying "Don't mess with Texas" please like if Texas was that great.
This is the type of uncalled-for trash talking I was just speaking out against. It looks like I left my computer at the right time the other day.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:05 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,564,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Redman is my favorite rapper.

He's pretty much obsessed with weed and Newark in everyone of his songs.
hellz yeah brah

Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
You apparently are taking it too seriously. If someone calls people Cali-wimps they are usually either: jealous of your weather, ribbing Californians, or idiots. Either way, your response of calling people retards and homers is not cool and shows immaturity.

The arrogant part is you assuming anyone cares whether you respect them.
Or they're just tools who don't know what they're talking about. Or they're trying to take CA down a notch b/c they view it as a threat to their own area's greatness (which is just plain stupid). There are many possibilities. Regardless, I'm not a fan of the talking down that they do. And you can hardly blame me for that. I agree with that part of your assessment though.

And I'd loooooove for one of these trash-talking idiots to call me a "Cali wimp" to my face. I'd like to see how that scenario would play out. How's that for maturity?

I give what I get, man. No one is exactly being mature in any such exchange. I take the high road and ignore about 90% of the crap like this that I read, but eventually it gets irritating and I feel like responding to it. If I think these people are dumb when they come out like that why shouldn't I make that known?

And calling people "homers" isn't immature when its accurate. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Its not even always a bad thing. But I think its pointless for anyone who's always going to vote for their home no matter what in every scenario to even participate in a discussion. That mentality is just plain ignorant. I vote for SF or CA very often, but only when I believe in what I'm voting for. I'll vote against them just as quick when they lose in a comparison that's being drawn.

Homers that I'm talking about are almost completely incapable of doing such a thing when it comes to their home. That shows insecurity, and I can't respect that. But at least some of them can do so without putting down the next place. So the homers that are just proud of where they're from but don't have to crap on another person's home in order to boost theirs don't really bother me.

Now tell me this: Why is it arrogant for me to vocalize the respect I do not have for people whose opinions I could care less about, while you're on here being just as arrogant in chastising my posts? Hypocritical much?? Lol.

Who said I'm assuming any of these people care? You're being extremely arrogant yourself in assuming such a thing. I don't care whether or not people I think low of care about what I have to say. Lol, what are you even talking about? I'm just stating my opinions after being unfortunate enough to have had to read theirs. I think YOU'RE taking this too seriously, buddy.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Redman is my favorite rapper.

He's pretty much obsessed with weed and Newark in everyone of his songs.
Redman's dope. I've always liked him. And I think he's a good example of a rapper that can have mundane lyrical content and still be quality. I think in a lot of cases too much emphasis is placed on the wordplay and complexity of lyrics. He's still semi-lyrical, but not super-complex, and he's quality IMO.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I think us “simple East Coast folks” get it now…

If anyone dares say that all the misery of living in California (costs, crime, gangs, bad economy, traffic, taxes, regulation, dirty beaches with high bacteria counts, freezing choppy ocean waters, dirty, overcrowd beaches) is not worth it… we are then labeled as “freaking critics”.

In your post above…did you mention WHAT YOU SAID before I posted that? Of course not, typical California plastic bubble thinking: Heaven forbid someone defends the East Coast and shatters your metal image of what the rest of the USA is REALLY like.

Talk about lame…
Lol no, I'm afraid SOME of you simple East Coast folks still don't get it. Its not all that difficult to comprehend so I think you guys are just being stubborn and firing back impotently b/c you don't like how true I'm telling it.

But first, allow me to do my penance for violating the sanctity of the almighty, royal East Coast's honor. I'm aware of the severity of my words being anything less than praise for your deified region of the country. 10,000 apologies your highness! Please, oh please accept my submission to the wondrous glory that is the East Coast!

Now why don't you go ahead and define the term "critic" for me since you seem to take issue with my use of the term for those who are CRITICIZING my home. Like I said before, if I've offended anyone with what I've said in my earlier posts then they have to be one of the types that I'm speaking on. So mission accomplished.

And tell me, your highness, how positive do you respond to criticism of the NE that's anywhere near as negative as that that you've given of CA?? Hmmm? Can you still hear me from all the way up there atop your gargantuan horse?? LMFAO please.

You'd be in tears and likely suffering from cardiac arrest if one person (let alone 10 or 20) went on to make the NE out to be the unlivable, desolate, apocalyptic wasteland you make CA out to be. Dudes like you are a freakin joke. Lol.

But I'll try and help you out a little bit here since this seems to be way over your head (for whatever reason). Its very cut and dry. There's a difference between listing your reasons while being rational in what you are saying, and bashing another place, trash-talking, and not giving credit where it is due. And if you can't understand why I or anyone else would have a problem with any of this, you should be fitted for a crown to represent as the King of Hypocrites. Lol.

After your post above...did you realize that I was not the person you had been interacting with on that thread, nor had I ever even posted on that thread before it got locked?? Of course not. Typical Northeastern ignorance and arrogance that causes so many of you to talk out your a$$. Heaven forbid that you open your eyes and see what a fool you've made of yourself.

Here's a link to that thread, genius: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ansplants.html

Yes, you have shown us the definition of "lame." Good job.

Last edited by jman650; 09-13-2009 at 07:17 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,837,027 times
Common East Coast win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City