Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is overall better?
U.S. west coast 198 49.38%
U.S. east coast 203 50.62%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,066,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I was just watching that episode and I had the same reaction. I think its sad that he lives there and cannot even get around enough to explore more than 1/15 of what exists in his city. And I bet even then he mostly sticks to only certain parts of Manhattan. I wonder how many NYers are THAT unfamiliar with the rest of their city or region. That makes for a very provincial perspective. Good thing he gets to travel elsewhere so often. But I still find it amazing he's as unfamiliar as he is with a city he has lived in or near for his 52 years of living.
Yeah I hear ya. It's like people wrap themselves up in a cocoon in their little tiny piece of the world and never venture out. They like the safety of their cocoon. At least Anthony was man enough to admit this is pretty strange. There's a ton of posters on CD that have never left their cocoon their whole life but they think they know all there is to know about the U.S. Anthony's a lot more of a man than these posters.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You'd be surprised. There are some NYers who unfortunately have not ventured to different areas of the city. I never lived in Manhattan, but I bet I know a lot more about the outer-boroughs and how to get around than some people who have lived in Manhattan for 20 years.
I agree with you on this. The vast majority of people nationwide think the best part of NYC is Manhattan. Manhattan is downtown NYC. It has all the big high-rises. It has Times Square, etc. Just about anyone living in Manhattan thinks they live in the best part of the city so they don't have the desire to see the other parts of the city (the less desirable parts).

Old 09-13-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
No papi, lol, not that. Not that at all really. Its good to have pride in where you come from, at least to some degree. I mean saying that is a bit arrogant, but I don't find it to be offensive so that's not what I was talking about.

I meant this part:

First of all, obviously TX is more than farms if its our 2nd most populous state and has more big cities (by a long shot) than NY state does. So comments like that are unnecessarily disrespectful.

And secondly, if NYers feel it should be okay for them to boast about how great their city is, then Texans and everyone else should be able to take pride in where they're from as well. If you really believe what you're saying about NYC, then Texans saying what they say shouldn't bother you at all since you don't believe there is any truth to what they are claiming. Its not like they are saying NYC is second rate or putting it down at all. They think their state is the greatest, so what's wrong with that? To them maybe it is and maybe they aren't interested in NYC. It doesn't affect NYC at all so why should it matter? That's all I'm saying here.
Exactly!!! The vast majority of Texans think that Texas is God's gift to the earth and NYC is on the opposite end of the spectrum. People from NYC think NYC is the best city in the world. People from Texas think that Texas is the best state in the world. You can fit a lot of NYCs in Texas.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Ok, I understand what you are saying completely. What I am saying here is that TX people think that TX is "all that." When in reality TX does not have anything to offer. I agree with you that NY is not so much big as TX, but NYC, NYC is the greatest. I do not see anything in what TX has to offer so all I'm wondering is why would people be so proud and everything when TX does not have anything?

Now if people are proud of LA or SF or Cali as a whole I understand, but TX???
This shows your usual ignorance. Texas has 10 times as much to offer in one square mile of the state than your beloved NYC ever will. Since Texas has more people than the whole state of NY does, more people agree with me than agree with you. Sorry but you're outnumbered and by looking at Texas's current and future growth compared to NY's, your opinion is falling further and further behind. Go back to sleep. Go back to your dream world.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I get what you are saying here. Since there's nothing in TX you're aware of that would interest you at all, then its hard to fathom why anyone would claim it to be much of anything? I think there's a lot more to TX than you might realize, but I also think that it would never be up your alley. Its just a difference in mindset and preference. Some people might prefer the people, the food, the weather, the sports teams, the laid back Southern hospitality, etc....or whatever else they find there that they like.....to what they find elsewhere.

I've never been to TX so I can't really speak on it, but I think there is enough there for plenty of people to love it very much. I've personally known 2 people who lived there and couldn't stand it, but I knew someone else who lived in Austin, then went to middle school and high school in Italy, came to SF for college, and then moved back to Austin b/c she liked it a lot over there. So to each his/her own.

I could see why this is hard to relate to though b/c from where you're at you know how bada$$ NYC is and can't get why someone would not want to live in the ultimate US city. Especially when TX seems so country and rural. But there is a lot more to TX than just farms and horses like its stereotyped as being nothing more than.
You listed several reasons why a lot of people prefer TX to NYC. Yes Papi has never been here so he's doing a lot of assuming. Papi is probably one of those people that have never been outside of his neighborhood but he knows the rest of the world though. Ignorance is bliss!!!!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Even this person says that is all flat, meaning that is nothing but farms and that there is nothing to do in TX.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...out-texas.html
NYC is nothing but farms. Everybody in NYC is a farmer. Manhattan is nothing but hay bales.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:33 PM

61 posts, read 128,622 times
I used to say the west coast because of the sheer beauty of the region and the Pacific ocean , but not anymore because of the massive influx of illegal aliens and an exploding crime problem . Also major smog problems still continue to suffocate LA and through in a few earthquakes all along the coast and I relocated to the east coast . Unending taxation also drove me out .
I was pleasantly surprised about the southeastern coast on the Atlantic . The mild winters are a major plus and relatively low taxes compared to the rest of the country . I also love the ancient live oaks dripping with Spanish moss and the very old and well preserved architecture of the older cities along the coast . Some of these cities almost have a European feel to them , because they are so old and they have a very artsy culture .http://c/Users/David/Pictures/2009-05-15Charleston (broken link)

Last edited by a1california; 02-28-2010 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Would like to insert an image .

Old 02-28-2010, 04:37 PM

725 posts, read 1,512,596 times
I'm a city gut and all the urban cities and money is on the east coast. The east coast did have a heck of a head start though

Old 02-28-2010, 04:51 PM

27,634 posts, read 28,738,299 times
The east coast. There's a reason why more people live there.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,326,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Texas has 10 times as much to offer in one square mile of the state than your beloved NYC ever will.
this was a joke right :|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City