Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 12:54 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Miami Beach with a population of less than 90,000 has more than that going on almost every weekend of the year...not just New Year's Eve. I know that's not a fair comparison since Miami Beach is an international playground of a Tier One Metro area. But, I couldn't resist. :-)
Are you upset that Raleigh is not in the running on this thread?

BTW (like I have told MANY others) the videos labeled "Urban Charlotte" (three of them) were normal nights. Three were this past New Years and one was the Bobcats train leaving uptown. In other words, what you thought was a special night half of the time was not LOL!!! Thanks for the compliment!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 06-19-2009 at 01:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But what is so southern about Miami? Even the native whites aren't native Floridians. The black culture I admit is southern. But other then that, i don't know what else to tell you. Most people in Miami don't think of themselves as southern either.
The blacks do though. Whether or not they make up a signifigant chunk of the population doesn't matter, because you still have a sizeable group identifing themselves as southern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I like sprawl, and I hate cities that just end. It's looks so weird to me.
I'm the exact opposite. We have suburban "sprawl" here, it's just not sprawled out. It just stops. When you ride in, (esp. from the west) the city just stands out in the middle of nowhere. Once you cross the line it's like a sudden wall of civilization. I hate the typical southern sprawl though. The NOLA suburbs are denser then the city proper of Atlanta and probably Houston.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:54 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I hate the typical southern sprawl though. The NOLA suburbs are denser then the city proper of Atlanta and probably Houston.
Really? New Orleans MSA density is 302/sq mi. Atlanta's city density is 3,921/sq mi. New Orleans suburbs are not even CLOSE to the density of Atlanta. Atlanta's MSA density is 630/sq mi - twice as dense as suburban New Orleans.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 AM

No way. Drive through Atlanta, then take a ride through Metairie. Anybody would see the difference

Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Really? New Orleans MSA density is 302/sq mi. Atlanta's city density is 3,921/sq mi. New Orleans suburbs are not even CLOSE to the density of Atlanta. Atlanta's MSA density is 630/sq mi - twice as dense as suburban New Orleans.
I'll assume your figures are averaged from the total size of the area and size of the population. metro Atlanta is more evenly distributed throughout it's total area. the majority of NO's metro is squeezed into 1/3 or less of the total area. If you look at density by zipcodes you would see the difference.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:27 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
My figures are STATISTICS. Yours are "drive through the area"...which are more valid?

Atlanta IS NOT more evenly distributed. There are areas of very high density and areas of very low density and areas where no one lives - the same as in any city and metro. Look at the numbers...then make your original statement again while we all laugh.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Are you upset that Raleigh is not in the running on this thread?

BTW (like I have told MANY others) the videos labeled "Urban Charlotte" (three of them) were normal nights. Three were this past New Years and one was the Bobcats train leaving uptown. In other words, what you thought was a special night half of the time was not LOL!!! Thanks for the compliment!!!
I was referring to those when I stated that, and that downtown scene is nice, but typical for a city the size of Charlotte. It sure ain't no Austin though (and I don't even like Austin that much).

SXSW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjYSrpWXNNE

Regular Night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sjzhzarQlY

Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
My figures are STATISTICS. Yours are "drive through the area"...which are more valid?

Atlanta IS NOT more evenly distributed. There are areas of very high density and areas of very low density and areas where no one lives - the same as in any city and metro. Look at the numbers...then make your original statement again while we all laugh.
Laugh away. Statics don't alway tell the truth, especially when they are averages.
Look at those two maps I posted based on the 2000 census. Do you not notice that majority of metro NOLA is 5000< people per sq mi or either 50 and below. Notice that Atlanta's area is more evenly in the 1000-2500 sq mi to 2500-5000 sq mi range.

Look at this, then look at an aerial view of the Atlanta are, if you can't see the difference with your own eyes you might want to reconsider what you are laughing at.

Laugh on DeaconJ, laugh on.

P.S. there is no way in hell that Atlanta is not more evenly distributed than NOLA. Last time I checked the 500,000+ residents of Atlanta were not all crammed into a corner of about 1/3 to 1/4 the size of the entire city limits.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Atlanta has low density numbers because while it has small city limits (131 right?) it can be very spread out and empty in parts unlike NO where the city is built very dense and compact.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:15 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,128 times
Quote:
It's not a traditional southern city...but it's still southern. The question would have to be posed differently to be valid.
The question is perfectly staighforward and valid. The question did NOT say "traditional southern" it simply said southern. That is as straightforward as you can get. And the results back up my point. 80.77% think that Miami is NOT a southern city. Miami is closer to a NE or Latin American city than a southern city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City