Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 04:47 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Deacon if only you realized that the density in the city limits often lies. For example, half of the Orleans parish is uninhabitable wetlands. The settled area is twice as dense as statistics would lead you to believe.

Same goes for most of the parishes in the metropolitan area.
Just look at a satellite image.

The more you know!
The city of Atlanta is more dense than the suburbs of New Orleans - that is a fact. That is the only point I was making - anything else came about from a series of tangents by other posters.

How is uninhabited land in New Orleans any different from uninhabited land in Atlanta? They are both without people, and contribute to the overall density of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
No. You are.

Just admit that you are wrong and you talked about something you don't really know about. You just looked at some statistics and made a generalization about an area you really don't know all that much about.
Who are you anyway? The discussion was with someone else...I hate it when people come late to a party and think they are in charge.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:04 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The city of Atlanta is more dense than the suburbs of New Orleans - that is a fact. That is the only point I was making - anything else came about from a series of tangents by other posters.

How is uninhabited land in New Orleans any different from uninhabited land in Atlanta? They are both without people, and contribute to the overall density of the area.
Uninhabited land in New Orleans is different because a huge chunk isn't land at all. 49% of the city limits is water, so you can take that out of the equation completely. What you are left with is about 180 sq/mi of what qualifies as "land". Now you are left with two subcategories, inside the walls, and outside the walls. Alot of what is inside the walls is below sea level. In the east, some of it is so low that it is a swamp despite being inside the floodwalls. Everything inside the walls that is suitable for residential development is developed, there is no place to go. Outside the walls is swamp that is basically at sea level. The only thing there are camps high on stilts, and then there was a subdivision that was basically devestated by Katrina, which supports the point of why there is no hope of development here.

Basically, the portion of New Orleans that can be considered the "city" is about 1/4 of the actual area of the "city limits", and that is as far as the "city" can possibly go.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Who are you anyway? The discussion was with someone else...I hate it when people come late to a party and think they are in charge.
I am MetroBTR, as if that matters, this discussion is open to whoever...and I just have a problem when people start talking about things they don't know about, and then insist on telling people who do know what they are talking about that they are wrong.

And I never said I am in charge. If you think I am in charge, that is your business, but I never told you to think that.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I am MetroBTR, as if that matters, this discussion is open to whoever...and I just have a problem when people start talking about things they don't know about, and then insist on telling people who do know what they are talking about that they are wrong.

And I never said I am in charge. If you think I am in charge, that is your business, but I never told you to think that.
I know what I'm talking about...you came late, so I'm not even sure you know what the issue actually is.

So you ACTUALLY think that the suburbs of New Orleans are more dense than the city of Atlanta? Do you REALLY think that? If you really do think that, then you are totally out in left field. Sorry, but that is just craziness, and the statistics prove it. It's no contest - not even AT ALL close:

New Orleans MSA Density: 302/sq mi
Atlanta City Density: 3,921/sq mi

And please don't come back with some lame excuses about uninhabited land in the New Orleans MSA. Every city has uninhabited land...but we don't whine about it.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:28 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I don't know. There aren't many cities in the U.S. where a large group identifies with one region and the rest of the pop. doesn't.

There might not be as many but there are some whites, caribbean blacks and latinos in Miami that do identify themselves as southern.

I don't know what to do with those who don't, but you can't deny that southern culture is in Miami.
But the same southern culture you find in Miami is the same you can find in other places that aren't necesarily southern.Yeah Miami might have little vestiges of southern culture hear and there but it's VERY minimal and HARD to find. The southern culture in Miami is almost non-exsistent. Ypu may be able to find in SOME ofthe black communities like Overtown, and Libery City, but outside of neighborhoods like those, it COMPLETELY disappears. Almost non-exsistent.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:29 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,841 times
Quote:
I know what I'm talking about...you came late, so I'm not even sure you know what the issue actually is.
That is a ridiculous statement. Anyone can go back and read all the posts at anytime. Coming late has nothing to do with anything.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
That is a ridiculous statement. Anyone can go back and read all the posts at anytime. Coming late has nothing to do with anything.
It's not ridiculous, because he obviously DIDN'T go back and read all the posts. It's easy to tell from his responses. Now, who are you and what makes you an authority? Good God.

I never knew there were so many argumentative, hateful people from New Orleans. I've been to that city dozens of times and have always met nothing but friendly folks.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:

So you ACTUALLY think that the suburbs of New Orleans are more dense than the city of Atlanta? Do you REALLY think that? If you really do think that, then you are totally out in left field. Sorry, but that is just craziness, and the statistics prove it. It's no contest - not even AT ALL close:

New Orleans MSA Density: 302/sq mi
Atlanta City Density: 3,921/sq mi

And please don't come back with some lame excuses about uninhabited land in the New Orleans MSA. Every city has uninhabited land...but we don't whine about it.
Actually I've read through the thread, and I have posted on this thread before, so I am not new to the thread by any means.

You began using statistics, and even when statistics were proven flawed in the case of New Orleans, you failed to accept it, so our friend Mr. Westbank posted some stats. Do you not remeber that beautiful denisty map a few pages back. Don't act like you didn't see it. Look how much more red the developed are of New Orleans and the major suburbs has as compared to Atlanta. Also, a little while after that he posted some suburban stats. Why don't you go back and take a look at those if you adhere so strictly to statistics.

As far as us whining about uninhabited land, I'd like to know who's whining. I for one love that lake and those wetlands. Those are a few of the things that make this area so unique.

And the difference between our undeveloped land and your's is that ours cannot be developed, while much of that land in suburban Atlanta is suitable.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Actually I've red through the thread, and I have posted on this thread before, so I am not new to the thread by any means.

You began using statistics, and even when statistics were proven flawed in the case of New Orleans, you failed to accept it, so our friend Mr. Westbank posted some stats. Do you not remeber that beautiful denisty map a few pages back. Don't act like you didn't see it. Look how much more red the developed are of New Orleans and the major suburbs has as compared to Atlanta. Also, a little while after that he posted some suburban stats. Why don't you go back and take a look at those if you adhere so strictly to statistics.

As far as us whining about uninhabited land, I'd like to know who's whining. I for one love that lake and those wetlands. Those are a few of the things that make this area so unique.

And the difference between our undeveloped land and your's is that ours cannot be developed, while much of that land in suburban Atlanta is suitable.
Move on please...you're boring everyone with your whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City