Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,356,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Hey, Raleigh and other Piedmont cities are rat races also. Just not to the same degree of Miami. No city is perfect, and that includes Raleigh.
Have you seen the murder rate for Raleigh compared to most tier two southern cities? I don't have time to post the numbers right now, but Raleigh has very few murders compared to its peers. Raleigh is as close to perfect as a city can get.

Raleigh is one of the few southern cities one does not need to "watch their back" in. That fact alone should be considered just as much as skylines and night life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Raleigh is as close to perfect as a city can get.
That depends on one's standard of perfection.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,821,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That depends on one's standard of perfection.
I'm pretty sure that no one who is actually a resident of Raleigh would dare call the city "close to perfect"...though I'm not surprised that he did.

The rest of us understand that there is much more to consider in rating a city than its murder rate.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM

^^^^Ummmmm? What is more important than good health care, great schools, low cost of living, and low crime? Am I missing something?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 PM

294 posts, read 782,489 times
Quote:
Have you seen the murder rate for Raleigh compared to most tier two southern cities? I don't have time to post the numbers right now, but Raleigh has very few murders compared to its peers. Raleigh is as close to perfect as a city can get.

Raleigh is one of the few southern cities one does not need to "watch their back" in. That fact alone should be considered just as much as skylines and night life.
However, Raleigh is as boring as all get-out! A city being interesting is high on many people's list. Even to the point they will tolerate the higher crime rate.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
However, Raleigh is as boring as all get-out! A city being interesting is high on many people's list. Even to the point they will tolerate the higher crime rate.
I don't understand. Raleigh has clubs, bars, sports, and the trendy Glenwood South area in downtown. Other than a 3 mile long skyline, what is Raleigh missing? Can you be more specific?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 PM

75 posts, read 218,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm pretty sure that no one who is actually a resident of Raleigh would dare call the city "close to perfect
I beg to differ. I bet you could find tens of thousands that would say those exact words.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,365 times
Quote:
^^^^Ummmmm? What is more important than good health care, great schools, low cost of living, and low crime? Am I missing something?
That is important to a family perhaps, but obviously there are certain things more important otherwise many of our major cities wouldn't be as desirable to certain demographics as they are.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 PM

294 posts, read 782,489 times
Quote:
I don't understand. Raleigh has clubs, bars, sports, and the trendy Glenwood South area in downtown. Other than a 3 mile long skyline, what is Raleigh missing? Can you be more specific?
Urban. It's not the lack of a skyline that causes Raleigh to loose points with me. Bars and clubs don't interest me. Raleigh is indeed a very nice midsized city. I might even retire there one day. It just that it lacks something. Maybe it's urban core is just way too small for a city that size. Now, I really enjoyed Charlotte's uptown when I lived there. That is something Raleigh should strive for then it would be a complete package.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
Urban. It's not the lack of a skyline that causes Raleigh to loose points with me. Bars and clubs don't interest me. Raleigh is indeed a very nice midsized city. I might even retire there one day. It just that it lacks something. Maybe it's urban core is just way too small for a city that size. Now, I really enjoyed Charlotte's uptown when I lived there. That is something Raleigh should strive for then it would be a complete package.
That makes sense. However, if the urban core gets bigger, chances are the crime rate would go up in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City