Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 AM

398 posts, read 1,042,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
LOL. Haha, it's so great how much you live in White Plains, NY. With your mom. It's so, so great that that is the case. The reality of you living in WHITE effing PLAINS makes me laugh so very, very heartily.

Anyway, when you can figure out the point you're trying to make, and whether the Loop shuts down at five or ten (you've said both), then maybe we can talk.

Until then, have a great time in White. Plains. New York

Is White Plains even considered a suburb of NYC? Is it even an ex-urb?
Someone in Lombard, IL is attempting to make fun of White Plains? LOL

White Plains is more desirable than Chicago, to say nothing of Lombard.

-Median home price- $800,000. Higher than anything in Chicago.

-30 minutes to Grand Central by Metro North. Closer than Evanston, and many parts of Chicago city limits.

-Seven downtown department stores, including Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Saks (all bigger and better than downtown Chicago versions)

-Two successful Trump buildings to Chicago's half-empty, failed one.

-Ritz Carlton tower, with a Four Seasons tower planned.

-Beautiful, green hills, compared to Chicago's flat, ugly plain.

-In the heart of wealthy, desirable Westchester County, between NYC and CT, as opposed to gritty Chicago, between Gary and Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:13 AM

398 posts, read 1,042,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Never before have I seen so many poor attempts at understanding quality or culture than on this board.

Chicago has its reputation as the food capital of the United States because the world's most innovative restaurants are located there. The fusion scene is a purely Chicago thing; most classical dishes that are now a mainstay of fine cuisine were invented in Chicago. The best chefs in the nation are all Chicago chefs.

You are nothing in the culinary world unless you have cred in Chicago.

With respect to art, oh... Let me spread some education to those who have apparently never purchased art.

I don't care how many starving artists your city has crammed into substandard housing. Fine quality standards exist for art, and they are both objective and universal. When you buy "art", you do so by attending a showing that is put on by a name you trust. Sotheby's and Christie's most important events are in Chicago for reason-- the art scene in unparalleled outside Berlin. New York has a billion artists and they all suck. The scene is highly competitive, and you "win" by selling the most at the highest price for "being" someone.

San Francisco, by comparison, has an extreme paucity of fine art. It is imported from, yes, Chicago.

If I had a desire to purchase works of art to decorate a home with, I would contact a broker in New York and in five minutes he'd be on the phone with someone in Chicago. The requisition always works that way.

Make of it what you will, but Chicago tops in all these categories. Art, especially performing art, is never better than what you find in Chicago. While New York is giving us Lady Gaga from Tisch (and thank you dearly for that, New York) Chicago is the only place in the United States where actors are trained to standards presentable in England or Canada.

San Francisco is home to a lot of very monied people, but the spirit of the city was not built on old-world standards of quality you find in New York or Chicago. And speaking on those standards, only Chicago has improved upon them. I find it remarkable how Chicago has consistently maintained the old with the new: fusion with fine dining, towering skyscrapers of glass and steel against the older, more gothic buildings.

So, my answer: Chicago.

Harry Carry's is fine dining?? Spain's El Bulli has secretly migrated to Chicago??

Art is imported from Chicago, not NYC/LA/London/Berlin?

Sotheby's and Christie's, both based in NYC with a huge London presence, supposedly have a hidden, covert Chicago presence??

Actors are trained in Chicago, not LA or NYC? Huh?

Maybe the Taj Mahal and Big Ben are in River North too?

WTF are you smoking? This entire post is like a heroin-induced hallucination.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,860,777 times
If you're realistic NYC wins by a mile.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,722,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
If you're realistic NYC wins by a mile.
That's right, NYC is hard to compete with, no cities can touch NYC.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 AM

36,692 posts, read 67,712,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
-Seven downtown department stores, including Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Saks (all bigger and better than downtown Chicago versions)
WOW, I didn't know that about White Plains

That's very impressive.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,939,450 times
Quote:
Someone in Lombard, IL is attempting to make fun of White Plains? LOL

White Plains is more desirable than Chicago, to say nothing of Lombard.

-Median home price- $800,000. Higher than anything in Chicago.

-30 minutes to Grand Central by Metro North. Closer than Evanston, and many parts of Chicago city limits.

-Two successful Trump buildings to Chicago's half-empty, failed one.

-Ritz Carlton tower, with a Four Seasons tower planned.

-Beautiful, green hills, compared to Chicago's flat, ugly plain.

-In the heart of wealthy, desirable Westchester County, between NYC and CT, as opposed to gritty Chicago, between Gary and Milwaukee.
I'm not saying that's not true, but you're going to have to prove it (the bigger and better part).

Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 AM

318 posts, read 322,106 times
Quote:

Harry Carry's is fine dining?? Spain's El Bulli has secretly migrated to Chicago??

Art is imported from Chicago, not NYC/LA/London/Berlin?

Sotheby's and Christie's, both based in NYC with a huge London presence, supposedly have a hidden, covert Chicago presence??

Actors are trained in Chicago, not LA or NYC? Huh?

Maybe the Taj Mahal and Big Ben are in River North too?

WTF are you smoking? This entire post is like a heroin-induced hallucination.
The entire Chicago boostersim is like heroin-induced hallucination or rather mass-hysteria fueled by deep inferiority complex. Chicago US capital of food? Then how come Chicago restuarants score so poorely in anyratings of world's retsuarants, well behind NYC, LA and SF.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:29 AM

318 posts, read 322,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm not saying that's not true, but you're going to have to prove it (the bigger and better part).

I will help you:

White Plains, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You Midwestern homers think that the entire US looks like Gary, Milwaukee or Cairo while even New York "suburbs" beat Chicago in vibrancy and urban feel. IMHO, abundance of interesting historical cities surrounding New York gives it an edge over any other city in the US.

Comparing White Plains:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Downtown_White_PLains.gif (broken link)

to Lombard is a a litttle, er, misguided.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,939,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I will help you:

You Midwestern homers think that the entire US looks like Gary, Milwaukee or Cairo while even New York "suburbs" beat Chicago in vibrancy and urban feel. IMHO, abundance of interesting historical cities surrounding New York gives it an edge over any other city in the US.

Comparing White Plains:

One person said that - hardly the viewpoint of most. I would say that it's misguided to assume every "Midwestern Homer" believes that. Your posts are wrought with stereotypes and this doesn't lend to anyone's credibility when they are so biased.

I asked for the poster to prove that these stores are bigger and better in White Plains than in Chicago, and that hasn't been proven. I don't care if they are or they aren't, but you can't make a statement like that without following up with proof. The article on White Plains was nice, but it didn't prove anything. Also, White Plains is more vibrant than Chicago????? Maybe you need to prove that.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 AM

23,558 posts, read 44,258,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I will help you:

Comparing White Plains:

Talk about misguided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City