Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM

2,566 posts, read 3,633,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Monkeys View Post
Chicago should be left out of this poll. San francisco and New York are the best not Chicago. What's to do there anyway?
Well, you can always go to the Lincoln Park Zoo and see 12 monkeys for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,481,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Wait...

Help me out here. Has dementor-finalcut-eorus1-advocutusvulva now added Sv-4 to the alias repitoire? I need to keep these straight for my research on him (them, its). And, do we need to call the U.S. Census Bureau and tell them to increase White Plains population by "1"?
"Hey, White Plains Census guy, check under your bridges, you have a new troll in town. Thanks."
I believe you hit it on the knob with this assessment.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,481,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Monkeys View Post
Chicago should be left out of this poll. San francisco and New York are the best not Chicago. What's to do there anyway?
Man, I'm not used to seeing haters coming from SF to bash other cities unnecessarily. You shouldn't make trolling a habit. You'll find yourself in really small, lame company. Please don't embarrass the Bay by coming at us sounding this ignorant.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:41 PM

318 posts, read 321,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Well, its funny you mentioned that when you yourself published a link in one of your posts. But then again, you're probably also upset that a magazine in the Media capital of the Universe ranked NYC BELOW Paris and Tokyo. You can't discredit a publication because you dont agree with them!
I have no idea about the food in Tokyo, I can only guess.
The fact that the magazine in question rated Tokyo over New York is great as it shows that is not US centric... Have this magazine been printed in Chicago I bet Chicago would win all the polls and surveys. That's my conclusion after reading some of Chicago local papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Until you actually post some restaurants you've been, im not convinced you actually have eaten in any place in Chicago, or New york for that matter. Reading about restaurants and actually eating at them are two separate things, you know
Kid, I eat in New York on a daily basis, I don't cook. I have alos spent a lot of time in Chicago in a futile attempt to find decent restaurants that do not require reservation two weeks in advance. The magic is in numbers, the number of restaurants serving different food in NY and competing for customers created an extremely competitve and as a result incredibly good market. There is no other city in the world that has more restuarants in the top fifty list than New York Restaurant (magazine) Top 50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and the excellence of food in New York follows beyond the scope of this listing.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:46 PM

318 posts, read 321,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-SV View Post
Why would anyone, especially a New Yorker, care if New York, Paris, Tokyo are shuffled around in top ranks? Why would that be an insult?

It's better than being compared to Dallas or Miami in Chicago's case.
That's true. Does New York really cares about articles and ratings? Did Madonna's staff research C-D and food magazines before buying a 40M house in Manhattan?
Nobody really cares about those ratings in New York, those with means to freely chose their place of residence already know proper destinations. The rest of you can gloat about being named something by someone... What does it change?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 PM

53 posts, read 101,526 times
Culture - New York
Food - San Fran, Chicago
Art scene - New York
Nightlife - New York
Quality of life - San Fran

Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM

672 posts, read 1,790,872 times
My dream is to own a home in both SF and NYC.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:19 PM

184 posts, read 571,892 times
#1- Chicago....
#2- NYC
#3- SF

Chicago has the number one spot for it's architecture that cannot be matched and I also enjoy their food. NYC is so big and has everything to do with it's diversity and culture that it has to take that #2 spot, SF well it's included in this poll so I had to name it.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:47 PM

672 posts, read 1,790,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
My dream is to own a home in both SF and NYC.
Oops, looked back at what the OP asked for "best food, arts scene, nightlife and general quality of life?"

Food: SF for freshness and fairly affordable - not to mention the most restaurants per capita, NYC for sheer variety but expensive and hit or miss when it comes to quality, then CHI because it's cheap.
Arts: NYC, CHI, then SF
Nightlife: NYC, SF, then CHI
General QOL: SF for the weather and diversity, CHI because it's cheap, then NYC

Overall: SF, NYC, then CHI because it's so darn cheap. You get your money's worth with Chicago, but you get the sinking feeling that you are not getting the best and find yourself having to deal.

No offense, cheap is not a negative relative to this comparison.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 12-02-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM

721 posts, read 1,796,032 times
Culture

1. New York/Chicago
3. San Francisco

Food

1. New York/Chicago
3. San Francisco

Art scene

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco

Nightlife

1. New York/Chicago/San Francisco

Quality of life
1. Chicago
2. New York
3. San Francisco

Overall
I'd personally say Chicago, just because it's cheaper than New York and San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City