Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
I disagree and your opinion does not equal fact, like fresh produce does not necessarily equate to good food; Chicago and NYC are more chef/technique focused; SF more produce focus.
Whenever the topic of restaurants comes up, generally speaking the most highly regarded critical entity in the world is France-based Michelin, which doesnt even do Chicago.

Not to say that Chicago isnt deserving, but SF was chosen over Chicago even after Chicago's restaurant scene had reached its current status.

New York has no Michelin star rated restaurant outside of NYC proper. 4 in Brooklyn. 55 in Manhattan.

SF has 23 michelin star-rated restaurants outside the city proper and 14 inside city limits. That is an oddity I don't think exists in any other Michelin book and really speaks to how food concious the entire Bay Area is.

Speaking of Michelin, Tokyo has by far the most Michelin rated restaurants. Over 100.

In the US, I think the most acclaimed restaurant award is given by the James Beard Foundation.

2009s outstanding restaurant nominees were Babbo and Jean Georges(WINNER) in NYC, Boulevard in SF, Fore Street in Portland,ME and Highlands Bar & Grill in Birmingham, AL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM

As far as quality of life, San Francisco is the 2nd highest rated US City in Mercer's Annual Ranking of Cities by Quality of Life. Honolulu is 1st.
Mercer Quality of Living global city rankings 2009

Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Whenever the topic of restaurants comes up, generally speaking the most highly regarded critical entity in the world is France-based Michelin, which doesnt even do Chicago.

Not to say that Chicago isnt deserving, but SF was chosen over Chicago even after Chicago's restaurant scene had reached its current status.

New York has no Michelin star rated restaurant outside of NYC proper. 4 in Brooklyn. 55 in Manhattan.

SF has 23 michelin star-rated restaurants outside the city proper and 14 inside city limits. That is an oddity I don't think exists in any other Michelin book and really speaks to how food concious the entire Bay Area is.

Speaking of Michelin, Tokyo has by far the most Michelin rated restaurants. Over 100.

In the US, I think the most acclaimed restaurant award is given by the James Beard Foundation.

2009s outstanding restaurant nominees were Babbo and Jean Georges(WINNER) in NYC, Boulevard in SF, Fore Street in Portland,ME and Highlands Bar & Grill in Birmingham, AL
Yes, Michelin is highly regarded; whether SF has better restaurants because it has a Michelin guide first doesn't tell me that there are better restaurants; heck, maybe they did it because they could sell more books. It will be interesting to see how they stack up if/when one comes out in Chicago

Same with James Beard; i dont know if your last tidbit was implying that SF was better than chicago because an SF restaurant was nominated this year; this is only one category amongst its history.

And I'll give the bay area its props for restaurants and food scene, especially in Napa. My original reply was attacking the notion that Bay's Area produce is the reason that there is better food than in Chicago.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
My original reply was attacking the notion that Bay's Area produce is the reason that there is better food than in Chicago.
oh okay.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,700,683 times
All three are great cities. I've lived in Chicago & New York and soon will be a resident of San Fran.

I highly enjoy all three in the catergories of best food, arts scene, nightlife and general quality of life. I give NY the edge due to sheer quantity and options, and San Fran right behind there out of the three only because I can't stand Chicago's cold for half the year so for me it all renders useless, like right now it's 32 degrees with wind chills making it feel like 23 and cloudy with chances or snow and ice for the next two days... brrrrrrrrrr

Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
All three are great cities. I've lived in Chicago & New York and soon will be a resident of San Fran.

I highly enjoy all three in the catergories of best food, arts scene, nightlife and general quality of life. I give NY the edge due to sheer quantity and options, and San Fran right behind there out of the three only because I can't stand Chicago's cold for half the year so for me it all renders useless, like right now it's 32 degrees with wind chills making it feel like 23 and cloudy with chances or snow and ice for the next two days... brrrrrrrrrr
And places on the East Coast have been colder so far, had several snowfalls in places, and will also freeze out. Your point?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,785,015 times
And the results for this poll pretty much speak for itself, bay area does not hold a candle to any big three cities (nyc, chi, la) especially in fine dining, and quality of life. Culture is debatable, but I would give the edge to ny on that one. SF's food is insanley over priced too, I've never seen people pay so much for a Gyro ( a bad one at that), just because they are in the marina district and no one else serves them. Manhattan and Chi= another level.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,700,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And places on the East Coast have been colder so far, had several snowfalls in places, and will also freeze out. Your point?
Did I compare the east coast to Chicago or are you adding to Chicago's inferiority complex? I compared New York/Chicago/San Fran. Chicago is a lot colder then NYC during winter period, and lets not forget Chicago has that crazy wind chill factor.

Another thing I observed when I lived in Chicago is that when it snows, the snow stays and turns into that nasty black snow and doesn't melt away quickly unlike in NYC.

thanks though =)

Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Wednesday:
Chicago - a high of 34, 30mph winds, snow
New York - 49, 24mph winds, rain

New York hasn't had several snowfalls and some of those eastern towns and cities are farther north.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM

672 posts, read 1,790,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Wednesday:
Chicago - a high of 34, 30mph winds, snow
New York - 49, 24mph winds, rain

New York hasn't had several snowfalls and some of those eastern towns and cities are farther north.
How's this for Chicago quality of life:
Tonight
Snow and sleet early in the evening. Rain or slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then rain and drizzle after midnight. Precipitation may be heavy at times in the evening. Snow and sleet accumulation up to 2 inches. Blustery. Temperatures nearly steady in the mid 30s. Southeast winds 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 35 mph. Chance of measurable precipitation 100 percent.

Wednesday
Windy...cloudy. Rain early in the morning. Snow in the morning...then a chance of light snow in the afternoon. Blowing snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 2 inches. Turning sharply colder. Highs in the mid 30s. Then temperatures falling into the lower 20s by evening. West winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph at times. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
» ZIP Code Detail
Wednesday Night
Windy. Mostly cloudy. Much colder. Lows 3 to 7 above...except 8 to 12 above downtown. Lowest wind chill readings 10 below to 20 below zero after midnight. West winds 20 to 30 mph. Gusts up to 45 mph in the evening decreasing to 35 mph after midnight.

Thursday
Partly cloudy. Blustery. Very cold. Highs 12 to 16. Wind chills as low as 10 below to 20 below zero. West winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph at times.
» ZIP Code Detail
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows 5 to 9 above...except 10 to 14 downtown. Wind chills as low as 5 below to 15 below zero. West winds 10 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph in the evening.

Friday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 20s.
» ZIP Code Detail
Friday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows 15 to 19.

Saturday
Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 20s.

Saturday Night and Sunday
Partly cloudy. Lows around 20. Highs around 30.

Sunday Night and Monday
Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of light snow. Lows 17 to 21. Highs in the lower 30s.

Monday Night and Tuesday
Partly cloudy. Lows 19 to 25. Highs in the lower 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City