Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 PM

318 posts, read 321,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Neiman Marcus Group - Store Locations

I don't have much time this morning, but where is White Plains on this list? I know there's a store there, but it must fall under the "Clearance Centers and Others" category.
You actually checked that? Funny. I think you should get out of Wisconsin a little more

I suspect that you serve as a dumping ground for all merchandise that nonone wants to buy. After all Macy's took over your most coveted chain and since there are no fashion designers located in Chicago and there are no fashion magazines it means there is no market for it. No need to fulfill.

Chicago shopping.... There are upscale malls in New Jersey, Long Island, Scottsdale and Vegas that offer better selection than your entire "Miracle Mile" and Woodfield.
Check out American Mall in Manhasset / LI

Americana Manhasset

or Short Hills NJ store listings:

Mall Directory | The Mall at Short Hills (http://www.shopshorthills.com/IM/directory.html - broken link)

If there is any dumping, excuse me, clearance and close outs, they are done in Midwest and other less fortunate parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,899 times
According to Mercer Chicago isn't to far from NYC when it comes to QOL. NYC is the base for the world i QOL with a score of 100 and Chicago as well as Washington DC scored 100.3. But San Francisco got 103.

NYC ranked 48, Chicago/Washington 44 (shares the rank with 3 other cities), San Fran 29 (sharing with 2 other cities)

Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,317,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Sure. I have seen enought posts from you to have an opinion. As far as the stores are concerned... Well, do some research but anyways suburban White Plains having as many big department stores as the great city of Chicago? That's kind puts quality of Chicago stores in perspective, doesn't it?
You Chicago homers made over a thousand of ridiculous claims about Chicago's culture, art, vibrancy shopping or food, none of which have any representation in reality and made you look really stupid. Where is the eveidence of Chicago being vibrant or cultured? All we know is that your crime rates higher than those of LA and New York and population shrinks... Is this a profe of city's greatness? Try again and think twice because you can come up after not only New York and LA but also other cities including suburban White Plains, again.
Quote:
My comments are based on my observations. The fact that the chef from Alinea was trained in California and makes excellent food does not change the food landscape of the entire city. As in most of Midwest most of Chicago food is way too greasy greasy and heavy, there is nothing exciting about it as opposed to Cali's fusion cuisine, for instance. Comparing Chicago's food scene to New York's is simply a joke as the city is a host to more internationally renowned restuarants than any other place in the the world:
Restaurant (magazine) Top 50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And besides the really famed ones offers gems such as Peter Luger (Williamsburg) which is by many considered the best steak house in the country. Calling Chicago the US capitol of food as coldwine unfortunately did is simply laughable. GI you live in New York now, right? That the L train to Bedford, check out some some other good restaurants there, there is more good food in Williamsburg than in entire Chicago.

keep it coming haters

Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
tfc, you are off the wall man... how much time have you spent in Chicago, honestly. It's one thing to hate on the weather/politics/crime... but everything else you are saying... Hard to take seriously.
\

Have you ever had good food in Chicago? There was a NJ/NY actor on the Good Night show in Chicago last week and when asked about Chicago food he praised great steak houses but was hard pressed to name one and after hesitation named Rosebud.

I have never had good food in Chicago, most of the time it is too greasy and chefs do terrible jobs with spicies, either too much or too little.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,801,275 times
Quote:
\

Have you ever had good food in Chicago? There was a NJ/NY actor on the Good Night show in Chicago last week and when asked about Chicago food he praised great steak houses but was hard pressed to name one and after hesitation named Rosebud.

I have never had good food in Chicago, most of the time it is too greasy and chefs do terrible jobs with spicies, either too much or too little.
Then why was Chicago named the 8th best restaurant city by Food and Wine magazine in 2008?
10 Best Restaurant Cities | Food & Wine
Who are we supposed to trust more: a professional magazine (published in New York no less) or you??

FAIL

Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Then why was Chicago named the 8th best restaurant city by Food and Wine magazine in 2008?
10 Best Restaurant Cities | Food & Wine
Who are we supposed to trust more: a professional magazine (published in New York no less) or you??

FAIL
Number 8? Hardly the world's food capital as coldwine wanted us to believe, eh?

You do not have to believe me. You are from Midwest so your concept of good food or beer is totally skewed. The magazine you quoted did not disclose the methodology used to prepare this ranking so it is hard to say why Chicago ranked higher than many cities known for good food.
Maybe because magazines have to name different cities than other magazines, be different than competition? If you look harder there is probably some newspaper out of Wisconsin that claimed Milwaukee is the place to be for good food and ranks higher than Paris or New York.
Chicago food is scary, this is my personal opinion and if there is anybody who does not believe me... try it yourself at your own risk: greasy, heavy and tasteless.

Last edited by thefinalcut; 08-11-2009 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 PM

37,172 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Number 8? Hardly the world's food capital as coldwine wanted us to believe, eh?

You do not have to believe me. You are from Midwest so your concept of good food or beer is totally skewed. The magazine you quoted did not disclose the methodology used to prepare this ranking so it is hard to say why Chicago ranked higher than many cities known for good food.
Maybe because magazines have to name different cities than other magazines, their competition? If you look harder there is probably some newspaper out of Wisconsin that claimed Milwaukee is the place to be for good food and ranks higher than Paris or New York.
Chicago food is scary, this is my personal opinion and if there is anybody who does not believe me... try it yourself at your own risk: greasy, heavy and tasteless.
coldwine's exaggerating one way, but it looks like you're doing it in the other. Number 8 on a global list for top food cities is pretty good. Plus there was that No Reservations episode on Chicago that was fairly glowing, and I remember some shmancy article someone put up earlier about Chicago becoming a hot bed for interesting cuisine.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Neiman Marcus Group - Store Locations

I don't have much time this morning, but where is White Plains on this list? I know there's a store there, but it must fall under the "Clearance Centers and Others" category.
No, maybe you should learn to naviagate a website.

NEIMAN MARCUS- WHITE PLAINS

Maple & Paulding Avenue

White Plains, NY 10601

Neiman Marcus - Fashion's premier designers, plus beauty's best brands

Oh, and the White Plains Bloomingdales? One of only eight Bloomingdales in the nation to get their select merchandise.

The others:

Manhattan 59th Street
Manhattan Soho
Roosevelt Field (Long Island)
Tysons Corner (Northern Virginia)
San Francisco
South Coast Plaza (Orange County, CA)
Beverly Center

Wait a sec! Where is Chicago?

I thought Chicago is the shopping mecca of the galaxy!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Neiman Marcus - Fashion's premier designers, plus beauty's best brands

Oh, and the White Plains Bloomingdales? One of only eight Bloomingdales in the nation to get their select merchandise.

The others:

Manhattan 59th Street
Manhattan Soho
Roosevelt Field (Long Island)
Tysons Corner (Northern Virginia)
San Francisco
South Coast Plaza (Orange County, CA)
Beverly Center

Wait a sec! Where is Chicago?

I thought Chicago is the shopping mecca of the galaxy!
Of course it is! At least according to Chicagoans. Who needs Bloomingdales when you can shop at Chicago-own Sears and K-Mart???
Chicago girls wear Uggs all year round anyway: shorts and Uggs, yes this is Chicago style!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 PM

37,172 posts, read 39,451,107 times
are you trying to tell me uggs don't make you the least bit horny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City