Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 PM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times

Advertisements

Actually, here's an interesting compilation of federally funded research and development centers:

List of federally funded research and development centers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California and the DC metro area get the largest number of them, while Texas gets one.

Anyhow, in time it's likely that Texas's higher education institutions will improve themselves greatly and that a more prosperous and populous Texas in the future will attract more of these centers making the state in the same tier as California. However, that is not now and not in the particularly near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Certainly not in technology given Silicon Valley's prominence and the large number and quality of research universities and associated research institutions that CA has (though in certain smaller niches within fields like biotech, Texas does pretty well). Added to that are four national laboratories (Texas has none) and countless corporate and noncorporate research parks. There is little comparison here when talking about technology overall.

Definitely not in agriculture where California's agricultural industry provides revenues far greater than any other states (but of course there are specific agricultural products which other states produce more of). Then there's the aforementioned institutions of higher education which influence the ideas of leaders the world over and contribute ideas and technologies that are vastly influential. The University of California schools by themselves have pioneered an incredible amount of new paradigms and technologies, but then there's also Stanford and Caltech to add to that mix (along with numerous other notable though lesser institutions).
Texas is no slouch when it comes to education, especially when you compare public schools. Texas has Rice, Baylor, SMU, UT, A&M,etc Ill give the nod to CA though.

Home to Oil, Agriculture (Leading in cotton, cattle, sheep and goat products, also large in growing watermelons, grapefruits, and cantaloupes), aeronautics, most fortune 500 companies, For 5 years straight Texas has lead the US in the export revenues, Military (Home to two of the Largest US army facilities in size; As far as Technology, we have Dell, creator of intergrated circuit board, Texas Instruments, Compaq (However merged with Hewlett-Packard)etc, Energy (No city in the US can touch us in energy), As far as Healthcare, I see us right there with CA.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
You are correct

In that case

1) California
2) Texas
3) NY
4) Florida
5) N carolina

Same goes to you. Not your favorite states. Anyway, I won't take the opinion of a 17 year old that seriously.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas is no slouch when it comes to education, especially when you compare public schools. Texas has Rice, Baylor, SMU, UT, A&M,etc Ill give the nod to CA though.

Home to Oil, Agriculture (Leading in cotton, cattle, sheep and goat products, also large in growing watermelons, grapefruits, and cantaloupes), aeronautics, most fortune 500 companies, For 5 years straight Texas has lead the US in the export revenues, Military (Home to two of the Largest US army facilities in size; As far as Technology, we have Dell, creator of intergrated circuit board, Texas Instruments, Compaq (However merged with Hewlett-Packard)etc, Energy (No city in the US can touch us in energy), As far as Healthcare, I see us right there with CA.
Yes, Texas has all those things and does well in very many sectors. There are some where Texas is on par or even vastly exceeds its corresponding sector in California (energy, for example), but in many more cases, California does better (the things I've listed and probably more).

Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Same goes to you. Not your favorite states. Anyway, I won't take the opinion of a 17 year old that seriously.
Does it at all feel weird to believe an ad hominem argument is actually reasonable?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, Texas has all those things and does well in very many sectors. There are some where Texas is on par or even vastly exceeds its corresponding sector in California (energy, for example), but in many more cases, California does better (the things I've listed and probably more).
Well the things is, CA dosen't dominate in everything, it only dominates in certain sectors. Same with Texas ,and every other state. That was my point of how some things are exaggerated.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Does it at all feel weird to believe an ad hominem argument is actually reasonable?
Apparently if Everett was about 21, his opinion would be fine; However, since he's 17 its flawed and unrealistic. According to Rachael.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Well the things is, CA dosen't dominate in everything, it only dominates in certain sectors. Same with Texas ,and every other state. That was my point of how some things are exaggerated.
Right, and I agree completely. It's just that when determining the ranking of the states, it becomes a question of which sectors the state dominates and to what extent. I do think that CA sets itself apart overall from other states (at least it has for the past few decades and will do so for probably a few more). Texas is definitely on the up-and-up though and will probably establish a separate tier above New York state within our lifetimes.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,960,035 times
Quote:
Texas can go toe to toe with anything in CA except entertainment and tourisum. Maybe Technology too.
Good point. That seems about accurate.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
Quote:
Apparently if Everett was about 21, his opinion would be fine; However, since he's 17 its flawed and unrealistic. According to Rachael.
No, I never said that

You must like me or something. You bring me up a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City