Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,692,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Uh, wrong, NY public schools are hardly any better than California schools and the colleges in California are waaaay better. As far as cultured, only a small segment in Manhattan and Westchester are "cultured". In California is are many in LA, SD, orange County and the Bay area. I don't care for California so you can say this is an unbiased opinion since I have lived multiple years in both states
Good Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,144,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYULIB View Post
Let's see, in Manhattan we have an Ivy Leage University. Do we have one in Los Angeles? No. San Diego? No. San Francisco? No.
Excuse me, but obviously there are no Ivy League University in the West Coast. It is an east coast thing. We do have Berkeley (has the most programs in the top 10 ranking than any other university on the planet), Stanford, UCSF (arguably one of the best research medical centers in the world), Cal Tech, UCLA, UCSD (Bioengineering anyone?).

Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,524,666 times
Quote:
LOL, I feel like I'm sitting the "special kids" classroom.

Well, ding dong. California is a MUCH larger land mass than New York City. For the second time; how can a single city compare to an entire state?

1. There is no "cultured" part of Orange County. There is no "cultured" part of San Diego. "Cultured" and "Orange County"? LOL, I just had to laugh. What do you think cultured means anyway? Juicy Couture and strip malls? Yikes. There are hardly any "cultured" parts of Los Angeles.

Let's see, in Manhattan we have an Ivy Leage University. Do we have one in Los Angeles? No. San Diego? No. San Francisco? No.
Well, lets see how wrong you are.

1) Do you really think that all those multimillionaires in Orange Co and SD do not have sophistication and much knowlee of the arts and fine wines etc?

Moderator cut: no need to get personal

Stanford, CalTech, UCLA, USC, Cal Berk are better than anything in NYC

Last edited by houstoner; 05-04-2009 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 AM

link to UCSF's ranking in medical reserach:

Research Rankings - Best Medical Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Link to Stanford and Berkeley's law school rankings (make a sandwich of the NY schools, so I'll call it a draw):

Rankings - Best Law Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Best engineering schools overall (don't see any NY schools, until after Stanford, Berkeley, CalTech, USC):

Rankings - Best Engineering Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Best Chemical engineering programs (NY absent?):

Chemical - Best Engineering Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Best Computer Sci programs (at least Cornell shows up in the top 10... after Stanford, Berkeley, and CalTech of course).

Best Electrical Eng programs (again Stanford and Berkeley tied with MIT for spot 1, with Cornell far behind):

Electrical / Electronic / Communications - Best Engineering Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

I could continue on and on, but I think you get the picture. If I went on to arts, philosophy, humanities, history, poli sci, ect, we would see Berkeley in the top 10 for all of those.

So education-wise, CA whoops NY easily.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,777,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Well, lets see how wrong you are.

1) Do you really think that all those multimillionaires in Orange Co and SD do not have sophistication and much knowlee of the arts and fine wines etc?

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Stanford, CalTech, UCLA, USC, Cal Berk are better than anything in NYC
Moderator cut: orphaned comment

2. You must be Moderator cut: unnecessary if you think USC and UCLA are better than Columbia. Stanford? Maybe... but USC, UCLA? LOL.

3. Millionaires in OC and SD? First of all, the vast majority of Orange County and San Diego is middle class. There aren't many millionaires in either of them.

Even if there were, do you think of Britney Spears is cultured? She's a multi-millionaire, right? And yes, I have been to Orange County and most of them couldn't even locate France on a map. I'm sorry, but I find it hilarious that you think knowledge of "wine and cheese" = sophisticated. Typical American. It's easy for the trailer-park types inhibiting cultural cesspools like Orange County to be "millionaires" by real estate (well, at least they were millionaires prior to Southern California's massive housing crash) so the "millionaire" stats are fairly meaningless and I wont indulge you so let's take a closer look.....

There are more billionaires on the tiny 23 sq mile island of Manhattan than there are in Los Angeles, San Diego and Orange County combined. There are more billionaires in New York City + New York City suburbs alone than San Francisco, San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles combined.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Last edited by houstoner; 05-04-2009 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you are referring to has been deleted

Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,296,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
link to UCSF's ranking in medical reserach:

Research Rankings - Best Medical Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Link to Stanford and Berkeley's law school rankings (make a sandwich of the NY schools, so I'll call it a draw):

Rankings - Best Law Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Best engineering schools overall (don't see any NY schools, until after Stanford, Berkeley, CalTech, USC):

Rankings - Best Engineering Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Best Chemical engineering programs (NY absent?):

Chemical - Best Engineering Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Best Computer Sci programs (at least Cornell shows up in the top 10... after Stanford, Berkeley, and CalTech of course).

Best Electrical Eng programs (again Stanford and Berkeley tied with MIT for spot 1, with Cornell far behind):

Electrical / Electronic / Communications - Best Engineering Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

I could continue on and on, but I think you get the picture. If I went on to arts, philosophy, humanities, history, poli sci, ect, we would see Berkeley in the top 10 for all of those.

So education-wise, CA whoops NY easily.
At least on paper

Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

2. You must be Moderator cut: unnecessary if you think USC and UCLA are better than Columbia. Stanford? is debatable, but USC, UCLA? LOL.

3. Millionaires in OC and SD? Do you think of Britney Spears is cultured? She is a multi-millionaire, right? And yes, I have been to Orange County and most of them couldn't even locate France on a map. I'm sorry, but I find it hilarious that you think knowing "wine and cheese" = sophisticated. LOL. It's easy for the trailer-park types inhibiting cultural dumps like Orange County to be "millionaires" by real estate so "millionaire" stats are fairly meaningless so let's take a deeper look....

There are more billionaires on the tiny 23 sq mile island of Manhattan than there are in Los Angeles, San Diego and Orange County combined.

Anything else?
Yeah, talking about money, the mayor of New York is the 6th wealthiest person in the US and not exactly Britney Spears type of person

Last edited by houstoner; 05-04-2009 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 05-04-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What's sophisticated about a city that likes Republicans as mayor? Never happens in California. New York is a lot more conservative than either Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Moderator cut: orphaned comment
Excuse me, who is the governor of California?

Last edited by houstoner; 05-04-2009 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: orphaned comment

Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
2. You must be on that good California chronic if you think USC and UCLA are better than Columbia. Stanford? is debatable, but USC, UCLA? LOL.
Stanford >>>>>>> than Columbia.

Berkeley >>>>>>> than Columbia

Old 05-04-2009, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,777,767 times
Quote:
Stanford >>>>>>> than Columbia.
That's debatable.

Quote:
Berkeley >>>>>>> than Columbia
WRONG. Columbia is far better than Berkeley.

Princeton, Yale (just outside of NYC) > Stanford, Berkeley, or any other California schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City