Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Based on the questions, __ is would be the best choice for you.
Boston 33 21.43%
Chicago 73 47.40%
Philadelphia 48 31.17%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,193,471 times

Advertisements

Chicago for nightlife

Philly for vibe

Boston for architecture and urban appeal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM

725 posts, read 1,215,870 times
Default Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Chicago is the best hands down, its more to do and a much better downtown. How do you compare Philly and Boston with Chicago? A better comparison would have been Chicago vs LA or maybe NYC.
HAHAHA. Chicago is not "best". Philadelphia has WAY better history/scenery. I have been to both. Philadelphia has a great downtown. And I think there skyline(though smaller) is better then both Boston and Chicago. Philadelphia is growing, and becoming "more" world class. And is def better then Boston.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,334,654 times
Can't go wrong with any of the three, but I think Chicago will give you the most to do.

Just exploring downtown can take up one whole day. Even two days. Then you have the beaches that are right next to downtown. Also there are a ton of neighborhood festivals that go on in the summer.

Also don't worry about Chicago being walkable. It is. The parts that arent' really walkable are the southside which you probably would not visit as it has almost nothing to offer for visitors. As a visitor I recommend sticking to downtown and the northside. You can easily take the EL to Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lincoln Park and Lakeview. I really recommend getting of the Damen Blue Line stop (heading towards O'Hare) and you explore the neighborhood. Everyone I take loves Wicker Park, and parts of it actually feel like a mini-New York. However, Chicago has a complete different vibe than NYC so you will see that it's not like NYC, it's more just big city with lots to do and see and very vibrant.

I think Chicago has more stuff to explore (not by a HUGE margin though) than Philly and Boston.

Boston has good nightlife? I love Boston, but it's nightlife was one of the hugest disappointments for me.

If you decide to go to Chicago send me a private message. Would be happy to recommend you some pretty awesome spots to check out.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,334,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
HAHAHA. Chicago is not "best". Philadelphia has WAY better history/scenery. I have been to both. Philadelphia has a great downtown. And I think there skyline(though smaller) is better then both Boston and Chicago. Philadelphia is growing, and becoming "more" world class. And is def better then Boston.
I wouldn't say WAY better. In regards to scenery I think Chicago's is slightly more interesting architecture wise, and I am sorry Lake Michigan beats Philly's river anyday of the week. To be honest, I think from the three cities Philly is the least interesting in regards to scenery, not by a lot though.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,074,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I wouldn't say WAY better. In regards to scenery I think Chicago's is slightly more interesting architecture wise, and I am sorry Lake Michigan beats Philly's river anyday of the week. To be honest, I think from the three cities Philly is the least interesting in regards to scenery, not by a lot though.

Is tough to say. To me on the overall areas Boston has the best overall scenery Ocean trumps Lake (though the Chicago setting along the Lakefront is spectacular) and both Philly and Boston have more interesting hills and valleys outside the city or in the region.

On Skyline I just love Chicago (my favorite in the world personally) and on architecture pick your poison all excel if not on the same aspects

3 of my favorite cities in the country any way you slice them

Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 AM

2,219 posts, read 3,922,183 times
Quote:
Wow you think Philly Skyline is better than Chicago's. You learn something new everyday.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,823,128 times
Quote:
If you have never been to Boston, how can you judge it against Philadelphia and Chicago. Saying that THEIR skyline (Philly's) is better is a fare thing to say.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 AM

2,342 posts, read 4,005,017 times
1. BOSTON

2. CHICAGO

DC

NYC

Baltimore

3. Phily

I'm not thrilled at the idea of living in any of these three, so don't let the rank fool you Bostonians or Chicagoans as a pact that I like your city or anything. They are both just much better for me than Phily LOL

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-03-2012 at 04:50 AM..

Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
1. BOSTON

2. CHICAGO

DC

NYC

Baltimore

3. Phily

I'm not thrilled at the idea of living in any of these three, so don't let the rank fool you Bostonians or Chicagoans as a pact that I like your city or anything. They are both just much better for me than Phily LOL
Philly is sooo overshadowed it's not even funny

Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,755,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudster View Post
Philly is sooo overshadowed it's not even funny
Overshadowed by what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City