Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times

Advertisements

Phoenix is kind of a mix

It's a city that doesn't have the strongest fan bases (in part because of the number of transplants/transient nature of the residents), have had some serious ownership issues and is still a relatively new metro

However, it's a great place to be a sports fan

4 majors (i'm hoping it stays that way, but looking doubtful)

spring training, az fall league baseball, a pair of nascar races, a drag strip (NHRA is coming up pretty soon), the most attended golf tournament, pac 12 athletics, arena football, wnba, a pair on annual CFB bowl games (including an annual BCS game), in the rotation for the BCS championship game, soon to be 3x super bowl host city, will host NCAA BB games, long horse racing season, MLS training, international & club friendlies for soccer, and much more ...... plus the facilities are top notch

as a fan there is a wide variety of stuff you can go see & do and it's completely year round

I can't put it up at the top of the list because of the tepid nature of the fans, the ownership issues and the relative youth of the marketplace

However, as a fan there are a lot worse cities to live in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
My opinion , based on population of region, number of teams, fan support of teams through good and bad years etc.

1. Denver
2. Boston
3. St Louis
4. Milwaukee
5. Kansas City
6. Pittsburgh
7. Minneapolis
8. Philadelphia
9. Chicago
10. Seattle

Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Changing my list up a little... After doing more thinking about the subject,

If we are talking SPORTS, can't just limit things to specifically Big 4 Pro, Nor can we count a place that doesn't support the big 4 Pro. It isn't enough to just be fanatic about High School or College sports. Must have more than that. But it's also not enough to only be fanatic about Pro only. It is the cities that show TRUE sports appreciation that are great. The cities that appreciate NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, Boxing, Lacrosse, Horse Racing, Golf, Tennis, Track & Field, sporting events, etc... THAT'S a TRUE SPORTS city.

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Philadelphia
4. Dallas
5. Detroit
6. Baltimore
7. Pittsburgh
8. Denver
9. New York City
10. New Orleans
Chicago's only real fans are Cubs/White Sox and Bears fans.

Period.

Don't ever act like Blackhawks fans hold a candle to Flyers fans. Where were they before they started winning, huh?

And the Bulls? Please.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
No city supports all of their teams well. People need to stop pretending that they do. Every city has a team with a weak fanbase. Including Philadelphia.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No city supports all of their teams well. People need to stop pretending that they do. Every city has a team with a weak fanbase. Including Philadelphia.

Yeah the Sixers were pretty paltry for the last decade, this year not so much.

The Phillies have been very good for a decade now. The Eagles and Flyers basically always sell out and have for decades

On the whole though I do Philly is a good sports town, maybe not the best but among them and far better than most in this regard

Oddly the washington Nationals seem to think Philly fans are even an isuue in DC (This just from last week)
Nats Try To Ban Phillies Fans From Park (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/phillies/nats-try-to-ban-phillies-fans-from-park#.Tyww-KzuLgI.facebook - broken link)

"So no Phillies fans allowed - for at least the first month those tickets are on sale. Unless you are a Phillies' fan who lives near the Nationals' stadium.
“Frankly, I was tired of seeing it,” Nats COO Andy Feffer told the Post this week. “Forget you, Philly. This is our park, this is our town, these are our fans, and it’s our time right now.”
“Nothing irks me personally or the people here more than to see another team’s fans — particularly Philly fans — in our ballpark, holding up signs," Feffer told the newspaper. "That’s not the way it should be. And I think we’ve got an opportunity here to do something different.”

Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I'm honestly surprised that Washington and Philadelphia aren't bigger rivalries in sports. I know in football, the Eagles and Redskins hate Dallas the most. But between the Eagles and Skins, its just another divisional rivalry game. With the history and proximity of these two towns, it should be bigger than it is now. Just wanted to point that out.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm honestly surprised that Washington and Philadelphia aren't bigger rivalries in sports. I know in football, the Eagles and Redskins hate Dallas the most. But between the Eagles and Skins, its just another divisional rivalry game. With the history and proximity of these two towns, it should be bigger than it is now. Just wanted to point that out.

On the whole NYC is a bigger sports rival overall. Giants, Mets, Rangers, Knicks

DC, well the Nats are new. The Skins, while hated are not the Giants or Boys (To me at least equal hatred for the giants in Philly and as a life long Philly fan IMHO). The Wizards and Caps just dont have the same rivalry/hatred as the Rangers and Knicks (or even Celtics or Bruins/Penquins for that matter)

Also DC is more transient, while there are more deep seated roots to a NY rivalry; plus the people are more similar between Philly and NYC than between Philly and DC (with many more transplants and less rooted sports fandom). Philly and NYC have generations of fans passed down, just not the same in DC. DC is more like Atlanta in this regard (though will say I personally dislike the Braves more than the Nats, what is to hate about the Nats, the Expos? I actually miss the Expos)

Baltimore even closer to Philly would be seen as indifferent to even some fan following in the Philly area. With an AFC football and AL baseball just not the same

Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Baltimore even closer to Philly would be seen as indifferent to even some fan following in the Philly area. With an AFC football and AL baseball just not the same
Agreed, I think Baltimore teams being in different conferences hurts the "Philly vs. Baltimore" sports rivalry because the cities don't play each other every year in the regular season.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 21,481 times
Agree with the you on the Hawks, but why the Bulls?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Chicago's only real fans are Cubs/White Sox and Bears fans.

Period.

Don't ever act like Blackhawks fans hold a candle to Flyers fans. Where were they before they started winning, huh?

And the Bulls? Please.
Even after Michael...

Bulls top NBA in attendance over the past decade | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE CHICAGO BULLS

So.. no.

You have a point about the Blackhawks.

Bears, Cubs, and Bulls have always had loyal fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City