Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you rather live in?
Philly 120 65.93%
Tampa 62 34.07%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:11 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,493,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
On that same note...Ybor City is unmatched by anything Philadelphia has.
was that your joke for the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:37 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
was that your joke for the day?
Thats what I was thinking, that must be a joke. Ybor City cant even compete with downtown Orlando.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thats what I was thinking, that must be a joke. Ybor City cant even compete with downtown Orlando.
Wrong. Ybor City is unique, and one of Tampa's true gems. There aren't too many Cuban/Italian historic districts out there to begin with. It is a remarkable historic area in a City that has torn down WAY too much of its original urban fabric, but this area continues to thrive.

Downtown Orlando is nice, and getting nicer - but Ybor has the old flavor that you can't replicate outside of an authentic historic neighborhood.

Not to mention the food available there.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,960,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I'm not saying you have never been to Philadlephia but what I am saying is that I am highly suspicious of that proclamation.

When you combine Center City Philadelphias amazing architecture,cultural institutions,affluent residential neighborhoods,intitutions of higher learning it makes a strong case for being the countrys 3rd best downtown. Tampa has its virtues and beats the city of Philadephia in alot of QOL categories. However Nightlife/vibrancy isnt one of them . No comparison, advisement to fold hand.

If you add adjacent University City with Center Citys residential population there are approximately 200,000 upper middle class/college students living in a 4 sq mile area. Thats 65% of the entire city of Tampa living in a thriving area 40 city blocks by 10 city blocks wide.

Center City Philadelphia
355 cultural institutions
2300 retail establishments
221 Fine Dining establishments( xxx Rubys or Applebys)
215 Outdoor cafes
63 Bars / clubs

Wow nice photos. I agree with you, because you present your points in a non-condescending way, you just post good pics, and that's it. I agree with what you said, Phili is a waay bigger city so it definately has the better city-vibe then Tampa. Tampa will get there one day, but until then Philly is just a better place I guess, bigger metro as a matter of fact it's the 4th largest metro in the US if im not mistake.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:00 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree with what you said, Phili is a waay bigger city so it definately has the better city-vibe then Tampa. Tampa will get there one day, but until then Philly is just a better place I guess, bigger metro as a matter of fact it's the 4th largest metro in the US if im not mistake.
Its not only that Philly is bigger but that it is a true urban city. This is something that Tampa will never accomplish because sun-belt cities are too car relient. Florida will not invest in improving their public transportation systems and they encourage urban sprawl. This is why downtown Tampa is a ghost town.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Im gonna have to agree with JohnATL, Ybor city is a rare gem, it has alot of spanish, cuban and italian culture from the batista era, It has a long and storied history of cuban cigar factories and it sort of reminds me of Spanish Florida. It was also a port of entry of people from cuba, it also had alot of people from Spain, and Italy. It has history and nightlife.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Its not only that Philly is bigger but that it is a true urban city. This is something that Tampa will never accomplish because sun-belt cities are too car relient. Florida will not invest in improving their public transportation systems and they encourage urban sprawl. This is why downtown Tampa is a ghost town.
But not every city can be a true urban city, not every city can be a philly, or NYC, or BOS or Chi. If every city were that way it would be kinda boring. The sunbelt cities arent in the right location to be like the ones up north. LA for example, people in NY love to LA, if it was like up north with everything densely populated, it sort of take away allure of the city, people go to these cities because there different then the others, people dont live all close to each other, people love to drive. Some people just like this life-style of driving everywhere, it gives them a sense of freedom.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,818,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Wow nice photos. I agree with you, because you present your points in a non-condescending way, you just post good pics, and that's it. I agree with what you said, Phili is a waay bigger city so it definately has the better city-vibe then Tampa. Tampa will get there one day, but until then Philly is just a better place I guess, bigger metro as a matter of fact it's the 4th largest metro in the US if im not mistake.
You don't feel like rainrock was condescending? Even when accusing me of being dishonest in my statement that I had partied in both cities?

Some people just can't believe that their city isn't the best in everything to everyone JUST BECAUSE IT'S LARGER. It doesn't matter if rainrock believes me or not...Philadelphia nightlife was tired and slow on the three occasions that I visited. Tampa is much more fun IMO.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times
Naples is Deep South? It may as well be Tahiti for as much as it is "southern". Most of South Florida is SUBTROPICAL as in an island, beach, tourist, culture; not SOUTH at all.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Naples is Deep South? It may as well be Tahiti for as much as it is "southern". Most of South Florida is SUBTROPICAL as in an island, beach, tourist, culture; not SOUTH at all.
WOW. I would've NEVER expected that anwser from you. I thought you would've been the FIRST person to say it was the deep south. You surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City