Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you rather live in?
Philly 120 65.93%
Tampa 62 34.07%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,234,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
On that same note...Ybor City is unmatched by anything Philadelphia has.
In all due respect to Tampa but Philadlephia has incredible 19th + 18th century historic neighborhoods that no one outside of Philadelphia has ever heard about. Just my opinion but unless you are are arguing NYC or perhaps SF I wouldnt feel comfortable getting into a you-cant-top-this match with Philadelphia concerning neighborhoods/districts. You have to respect the past wealth that has flowed through Philadlephia over the centuries, this was one of thee main economic cogs of the 18th and 19th century. Some of the blue collar neighborhoods have seen better days but on the whole you cant compare Tampa to Philadelphia.You just cant do it.

Forbes USA's Top Urban Enclaves

Top Urban Enclaves - Forbes.com
1.Park Slope NY
2.Beverly Hills Ca
3.Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, Pa.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:51 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,898,066 times
I think I'd prefer Philly.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,561,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Im gonna have to agree with JohnATL, Ybor city is a rare gem, it has alot of spanish, cuban and italian culture from the batista era, It has a long and storied history of cuban cigar factories and it sort of reminds me of Spanish Florida. It was also a port of entry of people from cuba, it also had alot of people from Spain, and Italy. It has history and nightlife.
Yeah...but are cubans spanish and italians actually living there or going out or doing anything there in any signficant numbers? They left a longggg time ago. It's all post college bars and entertainment for white people. Theres only like 3000 people living there. Ybord city is cool for a night out and all but... when it was actually notable and culturally interesting there were 10's of thousands of people living there. How does this compete with Philly's gentrified and ethnic neighborhoods? It doesn't.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,947,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Naples is Deep South? It may as well be Tahiti for as much as it is "southern". Most of South Florida is SUBTROPICAL as in an island, beach, tourist, culture; not SOUTH at all.
Naples isn't..... but try Immokalee or Ave Maria...... or Clewiston....or Everglades City.... or LaBelle...

Even Fort Myers outside of the retirement areas is more Southern than it is not....

Off the immediate coast.....a lot of Southwest Florida is still very Southern..

Southeast Florida is a different story.....totally urbanized and filled with NE transplants from the Atlantic to the Everglades.....

Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,851,838 times
Now, Tampa vs Orlando, I'd pick Tampa hands down. If you've been to Philly and find the nightlife tired and boring, you probably didn't go places that fit your personality...though it's true, Philly has an excellent pub culture which is quite different from south beach clubs.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 AM

23,512 posts, read 44,198,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Naples is Deep South? It may as well be Tahiti for as much as it is "southern". Most of South Florida is SUBTROPICAL as in an island, beach, tourist, culture; not SOUTH at all.
Culturally, Naples feels more Midwestern to me. Most people I met there seemed to hail from Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,835,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah...but are cubans spanish and italians actually living there or going out or doing anything there in any signficant numbers? They left a longggg time ago. It's all post college bars and entertainment for white people. Theres only like 3000 people living there. Ybord city is cool for a night out and all but... when it was actually notable and culturally interesting there were 10's of thousands of people living there. How does this compete with Philly's gentrified and ethnic neighborhoods? It doesn't.
See, there's the problem with some people...you don't tell the rest of us what "competes" with Philly or what we should like and not like. It more than competes with the shabby neighborhoods of Philly in my book. Is that okay with you?

Last edited by DeaconJ; 05-11-2009 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,941,757 times
Quote:
You don't feel like rainrock was condescending? Even when accusing me of being dishonest in my statement that I had partied in both cities?

Some people just can't believe that their city isn't the best in everything to everyone JUST BECAUSE IT'S LARGER. It doesn't matter if rainrock believes me or not...Philadelphia nightlife was tired and slow on the three occasions that I visited. Tampa is much more fun IMO.
Really? When did you visit? Mabye you went out on New years day when everybody was hungover and getting ready for work the next day. Maybe you didn't go to the right places?

But seriously, sitting here calling Philly's nightlife, "tired and Slow" is showing everybody that actually knows philly that you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,835,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Really? When did you visit? Mabye you went out on New years day when everybody was hungover and getting ready for work the next day. Maybe you didn't go to the right places?

But seriously, sitting here calling Philly's nightlife, "tired and Slow" is showing everybody that actually knows philly that you don't know what you are talking about.
I have never had a fun time in Philly...sorry to burst your bubble, but it has been tired and slow EVERY TIME I've visited. It was not a fun place to party. It sucked. That's my experience, and I'm positive that I'm not the only one who has had that experience.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,219,469 times
Quote:
I have never had a fun time in Philly...sorry to burst your bubble, but it has been tired and slow EVERY TIME I've visited. It was not a fun place to party. It sucked. That's my experience, and I'm positive that I'm not the only one who has had that experience.
That doesn't mean it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City